Cellular Device as GPS

oldngray

nowhere special
here the odd numbers are on the North and East side

even numbers are on the South and West.

one small town I delivered to, the numbers would switch when you got on the North side of town or the East side of town... kinda weird

Very unusual. I never heard of any place like that. I have seen oddballs with number on opposite side of street but not every address.

Shifting Contents

Most Help Needed
Very unusual. I never heard of any place like that. I have seen oddballs with number on opposite side of street but not every address.

We have a "middle ave" in my town that runs north and south. All the streets run e to w. 680 10th st e has evens on the north side. Cross over middle ave on 10th it becomes 10th st w and now evens are on the south side. It flips when you cross middle ave

oldngray

nowhere special
We have a "middle ave" in my town that runs north and south. All the streets run e to w. 680 10th st e has evens on the north side. Cross over middle ave on 10th it becomes 10th st w and now evens are on the south side. It flips when you cross middle ave
In most towns numbered avenues run east/west and streets run north/south. Not always but more often than not.

wayfair

swollen member

the small town I delivered to is similar.

Even when you cross the N and S side of town

mrbrownstone

I use gps a ton when out on road on a new area then study and memorize the map by sections at home.

Also someone said what happens if you have no cell service. I also have Co-Pilot (Tom Tom GPS software) on my phone with my whole state downloaded. That way I can just use straight GPS without cell service if necessary.

I also have a paper map book I bought but have never used. Lastly, I carry a 15,00mah battery I can plug my phone into so I will never run out of power.

The hell of I'm getting lost out on road.

Purplepackage

here the odd numbers are on the North and East side

even numbers are on the South and West.

one small town I delivered to, the numbers would switch when you got on the North side of town or the East side of town... kinda weird

I've been places where street numbers make no sense and seem to have no pattern at all. Specifically a lake on a route at my station, you will pass 200, across the street is 12 and the next house next to 200 is 900.
Not kidding at all

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I use gps a ton when out on road on a new area then study and memorize the map by sections at home.

Also someone said what happens if you have no cell service. I also have Co-Pilot (Tom Tom GPS software) on my phone with my whole state downloaded to my phone. That way I can just use straight GPS without cell service if necessary.

I also have a paper map book I bought but have never used it. Lastly, I carry a 15,00mah battery I can plug my phone into so I will never run out of power.

The hell of I'm getting lost out on road.

If you ever do get lost, dust off that map book so you can find your way home.

rod

Retired 22 years

You want to see odd. There is an old mining town not far from where I am that as the mine grew they would move the houses to a different street (without giving them a correct address). There ended up being about 2 dozen houses (I forgot to mention that they were old company houses that all were identical in appearance) that were moved to 4 different streets so 613 4th Ave. could now be in the vacant lot between 410 and 414 6th Ave. There's NO map or GPS that would help you deliver that section of town. Everyone who delivered there made their own map. The last I heard they finally re-number that section of town.

mrbrownstone

If you ever do get lost, dust off that map book so you can find your way home.

I will. Fortunately, I was still able to buy a paper map. Believe it or not they are getting harder to find.

You used to be able to buy paper maps in almost any convenience store in my area but in the last few years that has changed.

I actually had to do research on where I could physically buy paper maps of my area. I wanted to get them in person not online.

oldngray

nowhere special
You want to see odd. There is an old mining town not far from where I am that as the mine grew they would move the houses to a different street (without giving them a correct address). There ended up being about 2 dozen houses (I forgot to mention that they were old company houses that all were identical in appearance) that were moved to 4 different streets so 613 4th Ave. could now be in the vacant lot between 410 and 414 6th Ave. There's NO map or GPS that would help you deliver that section of town. Everyone who delivered there made their own map. The last I heard they finally re-number that section of town.

When you get out in the country you can see strange things but inside towns is more normal. At least with 911 service many odd areas have been renumbered. I remember when you might have a dozen stops with nothing but RR 1.

rod

Retired 22 years
When you get out in the country you can see strange things but inside towns is more normal. At least with 911 service many odd areas have been renumbered. I remember when you might have a dozen stops with nothing but RR 1.

And absolutely no one had their name on the mail box because "everybody knows them". My 1st RR bid was an area that involved 7 different rural routes and 2 small towns that people just addressed their stuff PO Box #. That one had me seriously thinking about leaving UPS-------especially when it came to after dark delivery.

oldngray

nowhere special
And absolutely no one had their name on the mail box because "everybody knows them". My 1st RR bid was an area that involved 7 different rural routes and 2 small towns that people just addressed their stuff PO Box #. That one had me seriously thinking about leaving UPS-------especially when it came to after dark delivery.

You would knock on doors and ask where so and so lived. Most people did know their neighbors and could tell you.