center manager or HR?

HardknocksUPSer

Who has more "say so" in things that go on at UPS? I've been working preload since I graduated high school in 2014 I'm now 20 and would like to go temp driving this peak since I'll be eligible in OCT of this year. The bid list quoted the requirements and all of which applies to me besides the fact that I must be 21, not knowing when the driver training will be I asked the center manager if she thought I could sign the bid list, she said "yes I want you to sign it, even if you don't make it to driver training this year" so a week later I get a call from HR and she says " you could be disqualified for a year for signing the bid sheet without meeting the requirement" I said okay and dropped it without talking to the center manager to avoid possibly being disqualified for a year for some reason. So who has more say so in most situations, the center manager or HR?

HardknocksUPSer

The bid said "failure to meet qualifications will result in disqualification" but that can be taken many ways depending on when the driver training is. At any rate I guess I'll wait till next year.

PT Car Washer

The bid said "failure to meet qualifications will result in disqualification" but that can be taken many ways depending on when the driver training is. At any rate I guess I'll wait till next year.
That statement can mean just about anything. You could be disqualified for having too many tickets or not having the correct type of drivers license or not being able to drive a manual transmission.

HardknocksUPSer

You only have to wait a year if you self disqualify.
The way things in my center are going I could be driving in a year (not likely) but very possible. The old timer group is going to be retiring soon and I'm one of the very few PT's that actually consider driving. I'm in a small center, maybe 30-40 employees between both local sort and preload combined. If a group of 5-10 drivers go out at once someone will take their place.

MendozaJ

You can sign any bid sheet you want.

HR has more pull. They do the hiring, background checks, set up the road tests, integrad, etc. They know where you're coming from and which center you'll be going to.

HardknocksUPSer

You can sign any bid sheet you want.

HR has more pull. They do the hiring, background checks, set up the road tests, integrad, etc. They know where you're coming from and which center you'll be going to.
Kind of sad HR has more pull then the center manager seeing as how HR has no idea how the job works.

opey

if u fail the class, the road test, etc, you are disqualified and have to wait a year to reapply... so i can see it being the same here. but then again, if u dont get in befor ethis peak, you probably wont have a shot until next peak anyway

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Kind of sad HR has more pull then the center manager seeing as how HR has no idea how the job works.
Our main HR /hiring person drove for many years. I'm sure they know more than they are letting on.
Management loves to play dumb and keep employees in the dark about issues. The answer is generally "no" to everything so they don't have to backtrack when they gave bad information.

greengrenades

To be the man, you gotta beat the man.
Who has more "say so" in things that go on at UPS? I've been working preload since I graduated high school in 2014 I'm now 20 and would like to go temp driving this peak since I'll be eligible in OCT of this year. The bid list quoted the requirements and all of which applies to me besides the fact that I must be 21, not knowing when the driver training will be I asked the center manager if she thought I could sign the bid list, she said "yes I want you to sign it, even if you don't make it to driver training this year" so a week later I get a call from HR and she says " you could be disqualified for a year for signing the bid sheet without meeting the requirement" I said okay and dropped it without talking to the center manager to avoid possibly being disqualified for a year for some reason. So who has more say so in most situations, the center manager or HR?
First of all stop talking to HR and Management. You need to be talking to a union steward or a BA. You got a lot to learn kid.