center manager or HR?

cb1969

Who has more "say so" in things that go on at UPS? I've been working preload since I graduated high school in 2014 I'm now 20 and would like to go temp driving this peak since I'll be eligible in OCT of this year. The bid list quoted the requirements and all of which applies to me besides the fact that I must be 21, not knowing when the driver training will be I asked the center manager if she thought I could sign the bid list, she said "yes I want you to sign it, even if you don't make it to driver training this year" so a week later I get a call from HR and she says " you could be disqualified for a year for signing the bid sheet without meeting the requirement" I said okay and dropped it without talking to the center manager to avoid possibly being disqualified for a year for some reason. So who has more say so in most situations, the center manager or HR?

cb1969

They will post another bid sheet in Oct-Nov for temp drivers. Talk with your Center Manager because they do what they want the temp list is not like a new full time driver bid. They can take you in part-time seniority order once you turn 21. Do what your Center Manager asks when it comes to Temp work and get your 30 days in as soon as you can!! They take drivers off of that bid sheet up until the end of temp season prior to outside hiring. you will not be disqualified for signing it early. Like wise you can sign it early and let then know if you have another job and can't start till August they will take junior employees till August and then bring you in. talk to your canter manager and also a shop steward familiar with temp drivers

HardknocksUPSer

You either have Upstate on ignore or you think he is no one.

He was the first response to the OP and said to sign the bid.
I was told by everyone sign every list no matter what so I decided to sign it after I got the center manager's green light to sign, I then received that info from the HR

HardknocksUPSer

They will post another bid sheet in Oct-Nov for temp drivers. Talk with your Center Manager because they do what they want the temp list is not like a new full time driver bid. They can take you in part-time seniority order once you turn 21. Do what your Center Manager asks when it comes to Temp work and get your 30 days in as soon as you can!! They take drivers off of that bid sheet up until the end of temp season prior to outside hiring. you will not be disqualified for signing it early. Like wise you can sign it early and let then know if you have another job and can't start till August they will take junior employees till August and then bring you in. talk to your canter manager and also a shop steward familiar with temp drivers
Thank you for your response! That really helps out a lot, I appreciate that! Some very good information there!

ChicagosPrimeMinister

What rhmyes with UPS?
Not so much of a bad thing really. Just hate the fact that age holds me back from opportunity while others who have less time in and suck at their job get to do things I don't (temp drive) lol

I signed the sheet when I was 20 and took classes the week of my birthday. Didn't start driving until a month later though because of UPS and their disorganization