Central region seasonal qualification period?

Central region here. Over 30 days driving since my first day out with ORS. I initially signed sheets for both full time package car driver and "temporary full time seasonal package car driver". Been going through the Central supplement and it says senority will not be attained between May and Labor Day.

Best I can figure is maybe I should just keep driving and keep my mouth shut and hopefully they keep me driving after Labor Day? Sup hasn't said much to me other than having me sign off on various forms on my packet.

I know I could bother Sup about it but I'm just trying to do the whole "keep your head down and don't give them any reason to dislike or DQ you" thing...

trickpony1

Keep your mouth shut, don't cause trouble, keep impeccable records of your activities and let them make the mistakes.

Hope this helps.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Central region here. Over 30 days driving since my first day out with ORS. I initially signed sheets for both full time package car driver and "temporary full time seasonal package car driver". Been going through the Central supplement and it says senority will not be attained between May and Labor Day.

Best I can figure is maybe I should just keep driving and keep my mouth shut and hopefully they keep me driving after Labor Day? Sup hasn't said much to me other than having me sign off on various forms on my packet.

I know I could bother Sup about it but I'm just trying to do the whole "keep your head down and don't give them any reason to dislike or DQ you" thing...
you’ll never become a ....friend*
Ok well at least u admit it
🦑🦖
✊🧔

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

Technically, you are a "vacation replacement" if you signed the paperwork.

Just don't hit anything, and you should be fine.

The first day you work after Labor Day will be your seniority date.

Good luck.

Good luck.

I noticed that part as well, that there was some form to sign about being a vacation replacement. Does signing the bid sheet for temp seasonal driver count as that? I don't recall signing any documents that specifically covered that I would be a vacation replacement driver.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Shouldn’t have signed a seasonal agreement if you didn’t want to drive seasonal.

Brownslave688

Good luck.
First day you work after Labor Day nullifies any summer seasonal work here and your seniority date is the first day you drove.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The language that says if you work past Labor Day all days during summer seasonal count towards book.

Nope.

"The Employer shall have the right to hire vacation replacements. Vacation replacements hired in May, June, July and August shall not gain seniority unless they are worked after Labor Day. Employees worked after Labor Day shall have their time worked prior to Labor Day count toward acquisition of seniority as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement. However, their seniority dates shall be the first (1st) day worked after Labor Day."

oldngray

nowhere special
Nope.

"The Employer shall have the right to hire vacation replacements. Vacation replacements hired in May, June, July and August shall not gain seniority unless they are worked after Labor Day. Employees worked after Labor Day shall have their time worked prior to Labor Day count toward acquisition of seniority as provided for elsewhere in this Agreement. However, their seniority dates shall be the first (1st) day worked after Labor Day."

Yep. If you start during free period your seniority date will be the first day you work after free period ends. Unless you started before free period then your seniority will go back to the first day you worked. Seldom happens because UPS almost always waits until free period starts before putting them on the road.

PVD Scab

Shouldn’t have signed a seasonal agreement if you didn’t want to drive seasonal.

Nah I have absolutely no problem driving seasonal. Just trying to get my foot in the door here. Wanted to make sure I was reading the language correctly and from the responses here I understand I'm in their "free period" right now so I'll just keep my head down and hopefully they keep me on.

PVD Scab

Haha posted from my old account. 😅

Yeah I was a scab last year, flame me.

On that note, vacation coverage drivers aren't considered scabs too are they?

Edit: I've been paying union dues since I've been eligible working inside.

Brownslave688

Nope.

Is that newly added or is 688 different because I know a dozen or more guys that wasn’t done like this. Including a guy that had seniority over me. We filed on it and everything.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Is that newly added or is 688 different because I know a dozen or more guys that wasn’t done like this. Including a guy that had seniority over me. We filed on it and everything.

That language has been in the Central Region since May 1, 1979.

I have no clue why it would be different in your Local. Even your Local rider doesn't address it.

If they weren't hired as vacation replacement (permanent) they would have a seniority date before Labor Day.

Back From Break
If they weren't hired as vacation replacement (permanent) they would have a seniority date before Labor Day.

I have seen plenty over the years that were hired as permanent, not vacation replacements, during May-August.

They needed drivers anyway, not just because of vacations. It just depends on the bid you sign.

Anymore, they just hire them all as vacation replacements and keep the best one’s after Labor Day, if needed.

Brownslave688

I have seen plenty over the years that were hired as permanent, not vacation replacements, during May-August.

They needed drivers anyway, not just because of vacations. It just depends on the bid you sign.

Anymore, they just hire them all as vacation replacements and keep the best one’s after Labor Day, if needed.
Yeah back when I was hired it was during summer seasonal but as a perm hire.

Like you said now they basically tell them all they’re seasonal. Then keep who they want.