Central States going broke---

Karma...

well, in retrospect perhaps the ups offer of taking over the healthcare before the short strike in august of 1997 (?) wasn't a bad idea.....It would have been the same as managements healthcare who have outstanding plans and dont pay into it at or or very little in comparison......

542thruNthru

well, in retrospect perhaps the ups offer of taking over the healthcare before the short strike in august of 1997 (?) wasn't a bad idea.....It would have been the same as managements healthcare who have outstanding plans and dont pay into it at or or very little in comparison......
They offered to take over the pension not the healthcare. UPS didn't want our healthcare that's why most went to Teamcare.

Also my healthcare is way better than a Supervisors so I don't know what you're smoking lol

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Ask your supervisor what they pay out of pocket for healthcare tomorrow and what their annual deductible is.

....because you could not be more wrong.

Inthegame

That is crazy talk being spread by your slate from out west.

No way, no how, will anything like that ever be remotely possible.

Think about it, the Board of Directors of all pension funds are comprised of union and company officials from all involved parties.
Why would multi-employers, from multiple locals, ever vote to assume the liabilities of another fund?

No offense, because I respect you, but that is just a ridiculous notion.
Maybe it's not so crazy after all.

Every existing Pension plan pays into the PBGC every month on a per member basis. And every year as more funds fail, that amount increases.

Trustees of funds have zero input on those costs.

So what do you think will happen to healthy funds when the PBGC goes belly up while assuming the 30% benefit promise to pensioners from a failed CSPF?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Maybe it's not so crazy after all.

Every existing Pension plan pays into the PBGC every month on a per member basis. And every year as more funds fail, that amount increases.

Trustees of funds have zero input on those costs.

So what do you think will happen to healthy funds when the PBGC goes belly up while assuming the 30% benefit promise to pensioners from a failed CSPF?
That dynamic will be what it will be, but unless I am missing something, and will not be influenced by who is elected President or Secretary Treasurer of the IBT in the Fall of 2021?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the PBGC is a pseudo-governmental agency that is not beholding to the whims of the IBT or any other labor union.

The notion we were discussing was whether the IBT had the authority to "merge" pension funds in order to prop up those that are failing.
Many in the west are being sold this notion as a threat for political fodder.

Am I off base by seeing that as...."baseless"???

542thruNthru

That dynamic will be what it will be, but unless I am missing something, and will not be influenced by who is elected President or Secretary Treasurer of the IBT in the Fall of 2021?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the PBGC is a pseudo-governmental agency that is not beholding to the whims of the IBT or any other labor union.

The notion we were discussing was whether the IBT had the authority to "merge" pension funds in order to prop up those that are failing.

Am I off base by seeing that as...."baseless"???
This was being talked about back when the GROW act was being talked about. We were told reasons it was bad and why we needed to send letters to our congressman.

It is being talked about again but this was before all the politics.

Inthegame

I believe you've sniffed it out.

Pension Fund Union Trustees would commit political suicide if they managed to somehow clear the legal hurdles of adjusting participation agreements to allow non payers/non members (of that plan) to collect benefits.

However non-payers could join different plans by merging locals. But benefits can't be earned retrospectively so it would only work on a going forward basis from the date of merger/participation.

rod

Retired 22 years
We already got screwed on healthcare after retiring

I kind of lucked out. When I first retired health care for both the wife and I was only 50 bucks Month. By the time I was put out to pasture on Medicare it was up to a buck fiddy— still dirt cheap.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Live within your means. If you want to retire early live a little below your means and get a good financial adviser
Many people don't understand that concept
Many retirees believe they did just that, while correctly assuming their pension was an earned benefit.

....only to have that rug pulled out from under them, with no recourse or ability to earn.

It is not their fault and absolutely criminal in my opinion.