Central States going broke---

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The banks were acting within the guidelines set by the government. After 9/11, in response to the economic downturn, the Federal Government deregulated much of the banking industry. Loosened were debt to loan and loan to value ratios. Many banks sold these loans to previously under qualified borrowers and the rest is history. Teaser 3, 5 and 7 year balloon loans enticed borrowers to buy more than what they could afford. When these notes came due and the values couldn't support a new loan, the properties went into default. The banks were bailed out because the government realized they were also to blame.

But yet thousands of banks knew better than to make those loans.

Up In Smoke

That’s not how running a businesses works. There needs to be consequences for not doing what’s in the best interest of the company. What’s technically allowed doesn’t matter.
I agree, but what about our lawmakers changing the borrowing standards, loan to value, loan to debt and money down. I had relatives buy a house in 2003 with no money down on a 5 year balloon. The standards were ridiculous.

Brownslave688

I agree, but what about our lawmakers changing the borrowing standards, loan to value, loan to debt and money down. I had relatives buy a house in 2003 with no money down on a 5 year balloon. The standards were ridiculous.
That’s on the bank and the borrower to know better.

Why should the banks gets bailed out of the homeowners didn’t get bailed out? It’s the same scenario. They both should have known better.

Up In Smoke

That’s on the bank and the borrower to know better.

Why should the banks gets bailed out of the homeowners didn’t get bailed out? It’s the same scenario. They both should have known better.
Because the banks hold the deed. It was a game of hot potato, who ever held it last got burned. This was government created.

Up In Smoke

The country is headed down a very similar path today. The financial deregulation of 2018, the repeal of Dodd-Frank and Consumer Protection Act paired with the fiscal debt, devaluation of the dollar and reduced spreads threaten the financial sector today. Most parts of the market have recovered with the dumping of federal dollars, but the financials have not. We are destine to bail this sector out again before we can move forward.

Brownslave688

The country is headed down a very similar path today. The financial deregulation of 2018, the repeal of Dodd-Frank and Consumer Protection Act paired with the fiscal debt, devaluation of the dollar and reduced spreads threaten the financial sector today. Most parts of the market have recovered with the dumping of federal dollars, but the financials have not. We are destine to bail this sector out again before we can move forward.
Bail them out how though? There’s no ammo left in the box

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
You aren't ALWAYS right....like you think you are. I'm sure you are right most of the time though.

When I first joined BrownCafe back in 2006, I used to have a signature line that said;

"You might not like what I say.... but, I always tell the truth."

Nothing has changed.

It worked out where the fat slobs running the fund went out for a big dinner.

It's good to know, that the company Trustee's (on the plan) are aficionados of the buffet too.

;)

When I first joined BrownCafe back in 2006, I used to have a signature line that said;

"You might not like what I say.... but, I always tell the truth."

Nothing has changed.

It's good to know, that the company Trustee's (on the plan) are aficionados of the buffet too.

;)
Kudos to you having such an amazing "signature line". You truly are a legend.