Cheryl, issues with the site?

rod

Retired 22 years
BC is running just as smooth as it always has for me. It's always been one of the few sites that I frequent that I don't end up hating my computer:peaceful:

moreluck

golden ticket member
After just posting that, it displayed my post right away on the correct, current page.

You're good, Cheryl !! Thanks!

over9five

Staff member
I just tried the "go to first new" button 5 times. It didn't work twice. Could it be only certain threads?? One (that didn't work) was the "woman and ups drivers" thread.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
It's for search engine optimization (seo).

The seo "experts" recommended that configuration so that the description and some of the words from the thread would be at the top of the page.

Now that google controls the world it's a game that you have to play to be indexed well. :crazy:

upsgrunt

Cheryl,
How come we lost the list of the members who are signed in? You know the one that was at the lower left of the homepage? I thought that was kinda handy actually.

upsgrunt

Also, I always wondered something. Is that picture of the lady in the box next to the headlines you? I always wanted to ask you that.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
The list of members that are currently signed in is still displayed on the main forum page, just scroll down to the What's Going On section.

The reason that I took it off of the other pages is that some of them were getting so bloated that people that are on dial up are having trouble loading them. As the site gets busier that who's online module generates a bigger file and lot of extra links. It's not problem for those of us on broadband but if you're on dial up it can make the page take forever to load.

Nope, that pic isn't me. I bought from one of those stock photo places, it seemed appropriate.

:peaceful:

over9five

Staff member
Bump

Any progress with fixing the "view first unread" button? It is still hit or miss, as mikehawk said. Been that way since the last upgrade.

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I've posted this question to the forum's software developers and was told to change to a different type of database marking, which I did.

After making that adjustment it still doesn't seem to be working right :sad-little:

The next suggestion that tech support made was to suggest that I tell our users mark all forums as read to clear their existing new posts out the database. I tried it on my computer and it seemed to work for a while, but then it started getting wompy again.

To be honest after that I got sidetracked and haven't tried any other fixes. Now that you've reminded me I'll check back with tech support to see if they have any other suggestions.

Maybe you should try clicking the "Mark All Posts As Read" Link towards the bottom of the main forum page to see if that helps.

This link will also do it: http://www.browncafe.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?do=markread

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Okay, I think I finally found the real problem and it wasn't caused by the forum software or our database.

It was a bug caused by a different software package that we use here called vbSEO.

I rearranged some of their software's code per their directions and that change that seems to have fixed it.

:peaceful:

Mike Hawk

I found a quick fix, sounds like it's not needed though, when it doesn't work and you get sent to the top of the thread there is another "find newest post" button under the "post reply" button at the top of the page.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Just checking to see if I'm the only one having this problem.
First of all, I can go to youtube and play clips OK.

When someone posts a you tube clip on browncafe and I click on the arrow to play it, I just get that spinning thingie and the clip never plays. I just copy down the title of the clip and go to youtube myself and search and find it and play it. Anyone else having this trouble?

drewed

Shankman

When someone posts a you tube clip on browncafe and I click on the arrow to play it, I just get that spinning thingie and the clip never plays. I just copy down the title of the clip and go to youtube myself and search and find it and play it. Anyone else having this trouble?

I have the same problem, but theres normally a link on the embed that brings you to the clip on the youtube site, i actually prefer that since it opens up in a new tab. but thats just me

atatbl

This is actually becomes quite the debate on some forums. The reason being is that it will go away on it's own. People say it can't be their computer but then it usually works for other people at the same time. Also, when I used to get this problem I would sometimes restart my computer and it still would not fix it. Yet, the problem usually goes away without any forum changes or reboots. Therefore, my only advice is use the external link for the time being. But rest assured, the problem will not be permanent if it does bother you a lot.