chicago troubles??

705red

Browncafe Steward
Local 705 is again threatening to strike mid morning on the 19th.
Any details from those in the know?

Its not a threat it looks to be a reality this time. Theres talk that labor managers from atlanta are in flight right now to resolve what the labor department here cant. The problem is ups will not honor the resolutions of the arbitrators decisions. We have exhausted the grievance procedure all the way through the arbitration process and ups still will not own up to it. So unless a miracle of some kind happens here we could be on strike after midnight, the 72 hour notice was sent out on monday and the parties meet yesterday and still disagree. So we are prepared to walk if needed!

25yrvet

Sounds like a new labor person for the company is needed in Chicago.

How 'bout that Viking running game last Sunday?
Sorry, us Viking fans haven't had anything to cheer about for a loong time.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
So unless a miracle of some kind happens here we could be on strike after midnight, the 72 hour notice was sent out on monday and the parties meet yesterday and still disagree. So we are prepared to walk if needed!

So, what's the status? Its 10:20 Moutain Time, making it 11:20 Central Time. Is Chicago shutting down in 40 minutes?? And I'm honestly curious to hear details about the reason for why 705 would order a walk. Is UPS refusing to honor resolutions of terminations, etc? -Rocky

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Isnt chigago, among other cities in this country, a large union supporting city, with many locals, many different union shops. So, with ups knowing this, why did they decide this would be the best place to build the largest ground hub in the country. Secondly, why does ups have to make everything so damn hard, what are they gaining by some of their tactics....pissed off customers, pissed off employees. THE THING ABOUT UPS IS THAT THEY WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH ON SOMETHING THAT THEY KNOW THEY ARE 100% WRONG ON. They take no personal responsibility on nothing. Everything is the hourly fault....everything.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Isnt chigago, among other cities in this country, a large union supporting city, with many locals, many different union shops. So, with ups knowing this, why did they decide this would be the best place to build the largest ground hub in the country.

Chicago has a long history of being a transportation hub. Building the largest ground hub ANYWHERE else would be unwise. Keep in mind you have pretty much EVERY cross country rail-line that meets at Chicago. There's a reason the CACH hub was built beside the BNSF rail line. -Rocky

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
ok, for us who have no idea of size of cash can someone who knows of it tell us?

Sure...."The facility has the square footage of 37 football fields(2,130,000 ft²), and has a perimeter of 3.1 miles. It employs over 8,000 people across 4 shifts." That's from Wikipedia, which has its own problems with reliability. I'm guessing Chicago UPS'ers can give you a better idea. -Rocky

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Isnt chigago, among other cities in this country, a large union supporting city, with many locals, many different union shops. So, with ups knowing this, why did they decide this would be the best place to build the largest ground hub in the country. Secondly, why does ups have to make everything so damn hard, what are they gaining by some of their tactics....pissed off customers, pissed off employees. THE THING ABOUT UPS IS THAT THEY WILL FIGHT TO THE DEATH ON SOMETHING THAT THEY KNOW THEY ARE 100% WRONG ON. They take no personal responsibility on nothing. Everything is the hourly fault....everything.
You're EXACTLY right coldworld They never take resposibility for their actions. Our last center mgr kept begging for more routes. They said NO, make it work. It didn't, they gave her a year and then fired her and a part time sup, both had over 20 years, she had just relocated with her husband and 2 year old. New mgr comes in-gets more routes:confused:1

705red

Browncafe Steward
For yrears we dealt with the same problems that the rest of the country has/is going through. Even with the good contract of 97 and a decent 02 contract they still need to be inforced. If the contract does not get enforced by the members or if the the members grievances dont get enforced by the agents and locals the contract is garbage. Everything is in writing but yet you still have to file a grievance for lets say 9.5, why do we have to file? If its in the contract just pay us without the grievance! Thats what the company hopes for, bad or weak enforcement of the contract which saves the company millions if not more. Well we had enough here and we (upsers) for the first time put a upser with experience in here to enforce our contract and stop trading us like we were baseball cards at a beaseball convention. Now we represent the contract and try to leave the personal relations out of it. Right now we in tiny little chicago have over 180 pending arbitrations, because ups never can admit that they were wrong, they will rather right the check and let the arbitrator tell them they were wrong. Now ups is refusing to adhere to the arbitraitors rulings.

This is the 3rd or 4th time this year alone that we have sent them a 72 hour notice and in the past they have resolved the issue. But this time they are refusing to live up to their end of the contract. There is only so much you can take before you have to battle back and show them that we are serious! Ups resolve this or be prepared for a long work stoppage here!

As on last night (thursday) The cheif labor manager for the national called our sec/treasurer asking for a stay at least until early monday so he personally will be flying in with his team to avoid this work stoppage, some thing that the district labor team should have been able to do. So as of right now we are on stand by, but i can tell you that we have the signs in our cars only waiting to write ups and unfair labor practices on them.

We do have our monthly meeting on sunday and i can tell you that it will be probably the wildest meeting that we have ever had. Alot of us will voice our disagreement with this contract and inform our e board that they better not even waste our time or money by offering us this contract for we will vote it down! Now the strike talks even have management on edge, they know that we are serious because every driver took out on their routes their personal belongings just incase we would strike midday.

I truley hope this gets resolved but the clock is ticking and if its not resolved by mondays morning meeting we will be striking monday!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
As on last night (thursday) The cheif labor manager for the national called our sec/treasurer asking for a stay at least until early monday so he personally will be flying in with his team to avoid this work stoppage, some thing that the district labor team should have been able to do. So as of right now we are on stand by, but i can tell you that we have the signs in our cars only waiting to write ups and unfair labor practices on them.

Interesting, Red. Godspeed.....-Rocky

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Wow, isn't a crying shame that UPS can't be as honest and forthrite as their employees? They think their above having to follow the contract that they agreed to and signed. Makes you wonder what is hidden in the vagueness of the new proposed contract. Thanks for the post Red, hope everybody is paying attention and spreads the word

cantwin69

Hey 705Red,
I'm a primary sorter on the midnight shift -Addison. I was wondering how I could get more involved with the Union. We've got a bunch of kids working with us and management was trying to convince them to cross lines if there were to be a strike. Add to that the constant working of sups and the numerous safety violations and hazmat mishandlings I see nightly. I won't get into the shady practices going on in the so called Safety Zone office, I'll just say I'm holding my cards till I need them. I see sups looking out for any combo guys watching them and if they feel the coast is clear, they'll work. I have also noticed the sups getting all these guys and gals to start their shift as soon as they get there - usually 10 to 15 mins before 11. The thing is, they're only paying these guys from 11 on. I did a little math and realized they are getting on average of 5 man hours for free just by doing this. I think if people, us part timers, knew who the stewards were and what the contract says, UPS would be a different place to work. How can I better inform these guys without jeopardizing my job? Can I become a steward being part time? How?
Thanks for your help

705red

Browncafe Steward
Hey 705Red,
I'm a primary sorter on the midnight shift -Addison. I was wondering how I could get more involved with the Union. We've got a bunch of kids working with us and management was trying to convince them to cross lines if there were to be a strike. Add to that the constant working of sups and the numerous safety violations and hazmat mishandlings I see nightly. I won't get into the shady practices going on in the so called Safety Zone office, I'll just say I'm holding my cards till I need them. I see sups looking out for any combo guys watching them and if they feel the coast is clear, they'll work. I have also noticed the sups getting all these guys and gals to start their shift as soon as they get there - usually 10 to 15 mins before 11. The thing is, they're only paying these guys from 11 on. I did a little math and realized they are getting on average of 5 man hours for free just by doing this. I think if people, us part timers, knew who the stewards were and what the contract says, UPS would be a different place to work. How can I better inform these guys without jeopardizing my job? Can I become a steward being part time? How?
Thanks for your help
Brother cant great questions, on sunday we are having a meeting at 10am 1645 w jackson in the auditorium, which is at the intersection of jackson and ashland, i will be sitting at the back on the right side with all of my hubs upsers, come see me and i will talk with you and introduse you to kenny your agent incase you have not meet him yet. Or pm me for more info brother!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
We've got a bunch of kids working with us and management was trying to convince them to cross lines if there were to be a strike.

I believe that might be a violation--or a near violation--of labor law. I could be wrong. Regardless, since I haven't gotten enough specific information about the REASON for this walk, I would report as scheduled. My opinion can be swayed.... -Rocky

cantwin69

Brother cant great questions, on sunday we are having a meeting at 10am 1645 w jackson in the auditorium, which is at the intersection of jackson and ashland, i will be sitting at the back on the right side with all of my hubs upsers, come see me and i will talk with you and introduse you to kenny your agent incase you have not meet him yet. Or pm me for more info brother!

Thanks man, I appreciate it and look forward to meeting you guys on Sunday.

cantwin69

I believe that might be a violation--or a near violation--of labor law. I could be wrong. Regardless, since I haven't gotten enough specific information about the REASON for this walk, I would report as scheduled. My opinion can be swayed.... -Rocky

Yeah it's a violation all right. Believe me, that's not the only labor laws they are violating. They also have a deal worked out with the clinic where they send injured employees. They,the employees, are automatically given a release to full duty regardless of their injury. This, I'm told, is for the benefit of the employee. So they don't have to return to the doctor when they are feeling better. They can just go back to work. The thing is, they now have a paper saying there is nothing wrong with them and are often pressured into working and potentially making their injury worse. Trust me when I say I have knowledge of things that go on that blow this out of the water! Time will tell all.

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
Yeah it's a violation all right. Believe me, that's not the only labor laws they are violating. They also have a deal worked out with the clinic where they send injured employees. They,the employees, are automatically given a release to full duty regardless of their injury. This, I'm told, is for the benefit of the employee. So they don't have to return to the doctor when they are feeling better. They can just go back to work. The thing is, they now have a paper saying there is nothing wrong with them and are often pressured into working and potentially making their injury worse. Trust me when I say I have knowledge of things that go on that blow this out of the water! Time will tell all.
Cantwin69, you might want to put what you know in writing and then put it in a safebox, I'm not saying anything bad could happen to you, I'm just saying protect yourself