Chick Fil A

brett636

He believes that gay people should be denied a basic right...marriage...that is afforded to the "straight" people who meet his Biblical moral standards.

According to him....tax breaks and other government-sanctioned benefits should be afforded to a 60 year old guy who goes to Las Vegas, gets drunk, and "marries" an 18 yr old stripper at the Church of the Velvet Elvis, but they should be denied to a monogamous gay couple in a healthy, loving, long term relationship.

The same arguments that are being used against gay marriage were used against interracial marriage...which was still illegal in some states as recently as 1967. Thankfully, our society as "evolved" since then. I hope we keep evolving.

Gay people have every right to marry, just so long as it fits the definition of marriage that has existed since before the bible was written.

moreluck

golden ticket member
......"I do not admire Cathy's willingness to "state his beliefs" when those beliefs are based upon hatred and discrimination. ."(sober)

Saying that he doesn't support gay marriage does not constitute hate. The president felt the same 4 months ago. You can't read things into his statement.....only take what the words say.

I don't believe in gay marriage either......I believe in gay unions and all the benefits that spouses enjoy..........but ""marriage"" is between a man & woman.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I drive a VW Jetta TDI turbodiesel and I run it on biodiesel produced locally from recycled cooking oil so I have put my money where my mouth is. I would totally support a boycott of Saudi Arabian oil. 2/3 of our imported oil comes from Canada or Mexico, I'd like to see us become 100% energy independent but thats a topic for another thread.
Romney just said that in this morning's comment to the unemployment number report......."energy independent"

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Gay people have every right to marry, just so long as it fits the definition of marriage that has existed since before the bible was written.

Gay people are arbitrarily denied the same marriage benefits that are given to straight people by our government.

My sister and her partner are married, but that marriage is not legally recognized by the federal government. They cannot claim "married" on their Federal tax returns. They cannot draw benefits from Social Security in the same way as a hetero couple, even though they pay the same amount into the system. In effect, our government is charging them with a "uterus tax" because there are two uterii in the marriage instead of one.

You are free to recognize or not recognize the legitimacy of their marriage as your religion or conscience dictates. You should not be free...to have your government deny them the same benefits that you are eligible for as a heterosexual. Call it a marriage, call it a civil union, call it a sin, call it whatever the hell you want. They dont care. They just want the same rights that yoiu and I have.

soberups

Saying that he doesn't support gay marriage does not constitute hate. The president felt the same 4 months ago. You can't read things into his statement.....only take what the words say.

I don't believe in gay marriage either......I believe in gay unions and all the benefits that spouses enjoy..........but ""marriage"" is between a man & woman.

I dont really care how Obama felt 4 months ago. Once upon a time I felt the same way about gays until my sister cam out and my thinking on the issue evolved. He has stated his current support of gay marriage publicly, and I applaud him for that even though I disagree with him on many other issues.

"Civil unions" dont cut it because there are still tax breaks and Social Security benefits that are denied to gay couples. Either amend the tax code and Social Security laws to afford equal benefits to gays, or allow them to marry. Most gay people I know could really care less what its called, as long as they are treated equally and not forced to pay a "gay tax".

moreluck

golden ticket member
I dont really care how Obama felt 4 months ago. Once upon a time I felt the same way about gays until my sister cam out and my thinking on the issue evolved. He has stated his current support of gay marriage publicly, and I applaud him for that even though I disagree with him on many other issues.

"Civil unions" dont cut it because there are still tax breaks and Social Security benefits that are denied to gay couples. Either amend the tax code and Social Security laws to afford equal benefits to gays, or allow them to marry. Most gay people I know could really care less what its called, as long as they are treated equally and not forced to pay a "gay tax".

You'll notice I did mention ALL THE BENEFITS, just don't call it marriage. It's just semantics, nothing else!!

soberups

You'll notice I did mention ALL THE BENEFITS, just don't call it marriage. It's just semantics, nothing else!!

Fair enough. I take it then that you would be willing to amend the tax code and Social Security laws to allow equal benefits for "civil unions"?

klein

Für Meno :)

Wouldn't that be discrimation in itself though, after we been taught to be politically correct as in examples : Fireman, postman, police man, have been abolished.
Even startrek changed it's slogan from : "no man" to "no one" ?

I can't imagine a wed gay couple saying they are "civil unionized" .

moreluck

golden ticket member
Wouldn't that be discrimation in itself though, after we been taught to be politically correct as in examples : Fireman, postman, police man, have been abolished.

How about...."We're fused, baby !!!"

soberups

They can say they are married. Whether other people choose that label is irrelevant.

soberups

jesus.jpg

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Only in your world.

Those have not been abolished and are still used as a general reference to a person in those occupations.

If one is referring the the occupation, it is referenced as a policeman (or maybe "the police").

A policeman who is a woman is referred to as a police woman.

soberups

Only in your world.

Those have not been abolished and are still used as a general reference to a person in those occupations.

If one is referring the the occupation, it is referenced as a policeman (or maybe "the police").

A policeman who is a woman is referred to as a police woman.

As a general rule, I detest PC crap. "Policeman" has 3 syllables, "policewoman" has 4. As far as I am concerned, "policeman" can and ought to be a generic, gender-neutral term for any police officer. If I call 911, I could care less whether the responder has boobs or not. There was a similar dust-up at one time over the term "waiter" and "waitress"...some of the PC nazis felt that specifying the gender was somehow biased and they proposed the term "waitron" in order to be gender-neutral. "Waitron" sounds awful, I'm gonna stick with "waiter" and "waitress" thank you very much. Same deal with race, I am a big fan of keeping things simple and easy to pronounce. When race must be specified for whatever reason, I dont see what the problem is with saying "white guy" or "black guy" or "hispanic" or "asian". There are no value judgements either stated or implied, and everything doesnt have to be some sort of politically correct anthropology lesson.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As a general rule, I detest PC crap. "Policeman" has 3 syllables, "policewoman" has 4. As far as I am concerned, "policeman" can and ought to be a generic, gender-neutral term for any police officer. If I call 911, I could care less whether the responder has boobs or not. There was a similar dust-up at one time over the term "waiter" and "waitress"...some of the PC nazis felt that specifying the gender was somehow biased and they proposed the term "waitron" in order to be gender-neutral. "Waitron" sounds awful, I'm gonna stick with "waiter" and "waitress" thank you very much. Same deal with race, I am a big fan of keeping things simple and easy to pronounce. When race must be specified for whatever reason, I dont see what the problem is with saying "white guy" or "black guy" or "hispanic" or "asian". There are no value judgements either stated or implied, and everything doesnt have to be some sort of politically correct anthropology lesson.

Cops....one syllable....real quick!!
Restaurant...it's your server.
White, black...one syllable, simple.

I believe you are confusing modern day Christians with the sixth century throwbacks who call themselves Muslims. Nobody is claiming that we need to observe old testament recommendations for female body hygiene. In fact this isn't about Christianity at all. Its simply about a man whose family has been successful at selling chicken sandwiches and the mutually exclusive right he has to state his beliefs in public. Whether you agree or disagree with his beliefs is not the point, but you have to admire his willingness to state his beliefs where the public can hear them. Too many companies and their leadership keep quiet on these matters as they worship at the altar of the all mighty dollar. Dan Cathy states his views in public and is rewarded for doing so. My what a great country we have!

Why couldn't he say "While this is how I personally feel and try and run my company on those principals I support the rights of my fellow citizens in this free country to be able to live their lives without discrimination or persecution."? Everybody would have been Chik-Fil=A fans then and up go the profits.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

No. Were you around back then? Besides, Christians repeatedly "cherry pick" the Bible and quote scripture that is anti-gay. This whole deal is making CFA a ton of money because most of their stores are in the Bible Belt anyway, so there is a ready-made supply of idiots who support the company. This also makes a lot of money and creates publicity for Christian attention whores like Mike Huckabee. Opportunists all around.