Children's Mental Disorders and the Decline of Play

oldngray

nowhere special
The best part is that you know it's a bear trap and you jump in anyway.

Actually tip of the hat to Trick as he stated he had not read the article. That's cool and goes a long way with me.

The responses made no difference whether that article had been read or not. They were relevant to the thread title. That article was just a psychobabble opinion piece that I disregarded. As probably everyone else did and there was no need to quote from or directly address it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
The responses made no difference whether that article had been read or not. They were relevant to the thread title. That article was just a psychobabble opinion piece that I disregarded. As probably everyone else did and there was no need to quote from or directly address it.
I'd think as an opponent of Common Core this would be something you could get behind.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Can you explain that statement?
Studies have proven the benefits of play in a child's education, whether through recess, art, music, or just random fun. It's not just "psychobabble". All of these things have been victims of the No Child Left Behind Act, and the extension of that, Common Core.

Most teachers know the benefits of these things, they don't need a study, but they don't have the freedom to do their jobs. Politicians' war on teachers and their overwhelming need for the power to dictate what happens in a classroom hundreds or thousands of miles away are going to have long lasting negative effects on this country.

oldngray

nowhere special
Studies have proven the benefits of play in a child's education, whether through recess, art, music, or just random fun. It's not just "psychobabble". All of these things have been victims of the No Child Left Behind Act, and the extension of that, Common Core.

Most teachers know the benefits of these things, they don't need a study, but they don't have the freedom to do their jobs. Politicians' war on teachers and their overwhelming need for the power to dictate what happens in a classroom hundreds or thousands of miles away are going to have long lasting negative effects on this country.

I never disputed the importance of play. The problem is when play is too structured it ceases to be play for a child. You have it backwards on Common Core which does the opposite of what you suggest and removes a teacher's freedom on how to best do their jobs.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I never disputed the importance of play. The problem is when play is too structured it ceases to be play for a child. You have it backwards on Common Core which does the opposite of what you suggest and removes a teacher's freedom on how to best do their jobs.
How do I have it backwards? You might want to reread my post, I'm against NCLB and Common Core.

That's my point, I'd think as an opponent of Common Core you would be able to get behind the idea of teachers being given the freedom to let kids play and not have to worry about losing their jobs because they're not following mandated curriculum.

wkmac

Funny how teachers are becoming to kids and educating them what UPS drivers under Orion are becoming to UPS customers. Putting it in terms we can relate.

Teachers didn't "friend" up education, administrative experts (corp. lobbyists by any other name) and politicians did.

oldngray

nowhere special
How do I have it backwards? You might want to reread my post, I'm against NCLB and Common Core.

That's my point, I'd think as an opponent of Common Core you would be able to get behind the idea of teachers being given the freedom to let kids play and not have to worry about losing their jobs because they're not following mandated curriculum.
Teaching to the test was done before NCLB which just continued and expanded older programs. NCLB started under Bush but was expanded under Obama. It has been a failure and I never said it was a good idea. Common Core is a different issue with its own set of problems and I am very much against it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Teaching to the test was done before NCLB which just continued and expanded older programs. NCLB started under Bush but was expanded under Obama. It has been a failure and I never said it was a good idea. Common Core is a different issue with its own set of problems and I am very much against it.
You sound very defensive about agreeing with me lol.

We'll have to disagree about Common Core being a different issue though. It's just the new version of the same old issue. The teachers I know have the attitude of just riding it out until the next version comes along. They've seen them come and go, under republicans and democrats. Sadly, I have a feeling the republicans who are against common core will go back to their NCLB days when Obama leaves office.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...g-student-resilience-serious-problem-colleges

Counseling had more than doubled over the past five years. Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them .

Colleges and universities have traditionally been centers for higher academic education, where the expectation is that the students are adults, capable of taking care of their own everyday life problems. Increasingly, students and their parents are asking the personnel at such institutions to be substitute parents. There is also the ever-present threat and reality of lawsuits. When a suicide occurs, or a serious mental breakdown occurs, the institution is often held responsible.

Among the consequences are well-documented increases in anxiety and depression, and decreases in the sense of control of their own lives. We have raised a generation of young people who have not been given the opportunity to learn how to solve their own problems. They have not been given the opportunity to get into trouble and find their own way out, to experience failure and realize they can survive it, to be called bad names by others and learn how to respond without adult intervention. So now, here’s what we have: Young people,18 years and older, going to college still unable or unwilling to take responsibility for themselves, still feeling that if a problem arises they need an adult to solve it.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blo...g-student-resilience-serious-problem-colleges

Counseling had more than doubled over the past five years. Students are increasingly seeking help for, and apparently having emotional crises over, problems of everyday life. Recent examples mentioned included a student who felt traumatized because her roommate had called her a “bitch” and two students who had sought counseling because they had seen a mouse in their off-campus apartment. The latter two also called the police, who kindly arrived and set a mousetrap for them .

Colleges and universities have traditionally been centers for higher academic education, where the expectation is that the students are adults, capable of taking care of their own everyday life problems. Increasingly, students and their parents are asking the personnel at such institutions to be substitute parents. There is also the ever-present threat and reality of lawsuits. When a suicide occurs, or a serious mental breakdown occurs, the institution is often held responsible.

Among the consequences are well-documented increases in anxiety and depression, and decreases in the sense of control of their own lives. We have raised a generation of young people who have not been given the opportunity to learn how to solve their own problems. They have not been given the opportunity to get into trouble and find their own way out, to experience failure and realize they can survive it, to be called bad names by others and learn how to respond without adult intervention. So now, here’s what we have: Young people,18 years and older, going to college still unable or unwilling to take responsibility for themselves, still feeling that if a problem arises they need an adult to solve it.

Very sad.