Christmas 40' Drop-Frame Feeder

DOK

My first job at UPS was loading these trailers in 1975. I thought they were called "Z or W Frames" or something like that. They had a set of rollers running down the middle with these wooden flaps that would fold down from the side to form a second floor about five feet from the very bottom. It hurt like hell if one of those flaps fell and hit you in the head if you were loading the very bottom of the trailer.

It was like that late 80’s through the 90’s here. These kids nowadays have it easy in the unload. Unloading is the best job on the preload now, used to be the worst.

PT Car Washer

It was like that late 80’s through the 90’s here. These kids nowadays have it easy in the unload. Unloading is the best job on the preload now, used to be the worst.
I remember one morning on the preload, early 80's when the PT sup was going to punish me by putting me in the unload. I thought it was great not having a bunch of bitchy drivers to listen to. Only lasted one day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
upload_2018-12-25_22-8-32.png

PT Car Washer

Actually the weight limit was 150 lbs. Try wrestling something like that from the bottom of the trailer up to the built in rollers that were chest high——even with help.
Where are you that UPS had a 150 lb weight limit in the 70's and early 80's? I remember when the weight limit went from 50 lb to 70 lb and all the drivers having a cow about being over worked.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It was 50 lbs. when I started in '75. You couldn't ship more than three packages to the same address at one time. It seemed like UPS was still fighting state regulations with I think Texas being the last holdout. UPS had to lobby to get the laws and rules changed that involved trucking and railroad regulations.

specter208

I remember one morning on the preload, early 80's when the PT sup was going to punish me by putting me in the unload. I thought it was great not having a bunch of bitchy drivers to listen to. Only lasted one day.
Punishment on Preload nowadays is being sent to the modules in the freezing cold and no belt/box line.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
My first job at UPS was loading these trailers in 1975. I thought they were called "Z or W Frames" or something like that. They had a set of rollers running down the middle with these wooden flaps that would fold down from the side to form a second floor about five feet from the very bottom. It hurt like hell if one of those flaps fell and hit you in the head if you were loading the very bottom of the trailer.
Z is a flatbed over-the-rail trailer.
W is a 28 ft drop frame.
The 40 ft drop frame was a type 'S'.

Also discussed here:
https://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/have-all-the-drop-frames-been-retired.350927/page-2