Christmas 40' Drop-Frame Feeder

Shiftless

Remember? Heck I had the same Mack truck that when purchased from some other company they took the power steering off so they wouldn't have to service the system! Had no power, road terrible and if memory serves me right it was a 7 speed POS!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
B32BC317-8E72-4B03-816A-5E1F6FA84DCD.jpeg
Opening gifts today and dad gets me this, partially as a gag. He picked it up from a vendor at a model train show in the original box.

According the the authenticity sticker on the box, it was given out to shareholders as a limited edition "gift" way back when and was produced by Hermann Marketing.

I'm curious how old it is. Any of the old-timers remember these? I'm guessing mid 80s but I wasn't sure.

dxsqYF.jpg
I got one ,Herman Marketing. Christmas 2000 my wife got it for me my first peak in feeders !!

Shiftless

Z is a flatbed over-the-rail trailer.
W is a 28 ft drop frame.
The 40 ft drop frame was a type 'S'.

Also discussed here:
Have all the drop frames been retired?

I guess the word reference to trailers can be somewhat different across the US?

What we called them in So Cal.

When we heard the term "Z type" it was a drop trailer with "HUGE" shelves that were there to help facilitate staggered loading both top and bottom and I think the biggest one I ever saw was 24ft? maybe 26?

H frame was a drop frame in the 24 to 26 and 40 ft range that if you stand outside the trailer looking in, it looks like an H is holding up the flaps in the down position, the flaps secured to the wall and always fell down and clunked many a persons head!

A "W" was the first 102 inch wide body 28 ft we saw, still was a drop floor with the H pattern shelving/loading system and it had all the glad hands by the or near the pintle hook for easy turn on and off.

The last of the 26 footers got some rear mounted glad hand and off and on valves.

Many of the 24 and 26 foot had the glad hand and valves under the bottom of the rear of the trailer. Absolutely blew in wet or cold weather trying to find the valve. They got broken off so much and would be repaired on the side of the road so often you never knew where that valve was going to be.

Then again when I drove an "NDA" meant "No Delivery Attempt" along with we scribbled on paper and there were no shorts!

Glad I am GONE!

Last edited: