Christmas in August

Dr.Brownz

Our tiny center has been hiring people all year also and we are still hurting for people. Volume is hugely increased they are running 5 more routes than usual (only 20 routes before) a couple days they ran 28 routes. Peak will be hell. They are hiring 5 more drivers right now. They will have no PTers who can drive left!

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Our new indoor/outdoor swimming pool!
CAM00179.jpg
!

Last edited:

guyinthebrownbox

We don't need your specific hub if you don't want to but general location that this is happening at?

Any new amazon distribution centers or anything like that go up recently?

This will be my first peak in feeder so it's hard to say if the department is now like it is during peak. However, when I was in package, I wouldn't say peak numbers but close. My "training" route had 170 stops(usually 70 DR), 12 pickups, and usually over 300 pieces delivered and 150-250 picked up.

Seems like my building is cutting it close to get staffed for peak. When I made full time HR called and asked me to go to feeder before I even knew their was a list posted. And now that I am up here, supposedly package is scraping the proverbial bottom of the barrel trying to find people to qualify

There are 2 amazon warehouses opening nearby my building. I don't think they are effecting us too much but I heard they created 50+ driving positions for UPS

Sent using BrownCafe App

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Nope....we preloaders are not yard certified...are you forgetting your DOK, sir? lol

If I'm stripping....there better be dollar bills, beer...and a few of my favorite drunken teamsters...;)

Dollars?! Girl, don't sell yourself short. Go big! Go for tens. They ARE drunken Teamsters afterall. Lol.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

Still cutting routes in my area and no one can go over 9.5. No where near peak numbers.

My SUP called me today before I made onto the highway for my 52 mile drive to work and asked if I wanted the day or they find me a home. Since it was pouring rain out I said I'd take the day.

Last edited:

DorkHead

I imagine it`s really heavy in my area, but I don`t know for sure cause I`m in week 4 of 6 off. Matter of fact, I`m losing track of what day it is constantly.:cool-little:

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I work in one of the larger hubs regionally, the package volume has been a little higher this week. I would guess around 380-450k packages added up. The preload has added routes starting this week, which is interesting.

TheFigurehead

As a feeder driver I get a taste on what is going on in side the HUBS, and it does not look good. Volume is at peak numbers, hubs are under staffed, and when they do keep employees they get hired to go driving.

I see the same at my hub... and it's not going to get any better. In my section, we hired four guys last june as package handlers. One is left. About 20 guys were hired in the time between last june, and the newest group a month or two ago (not counting seasonal), Of the newest group, 2 of the four are still here, and none of the other 20 are left. If you are doing the math, that's 28 employees hired over the course of 14 months to get one guy willing to stay a year. The jury is still out on the new hires.

The problem is (directly from the mouths of those who have quit) the pay. There are very few people willing to work that hard for under $100 a week. I don't blame them, either.

I had friends 20 years ago who worked for UPS making 90% of the current starting pay while the rest of us made $4.50 / hr at McDonalds. Currently, that starting pay is a few quarters over minimum wage, instead of almost double it.

What is anyone's motivation for working here? Most of the guys I work with are there for the insurance. If you don't have a family to insure, the pay is not worth the amount of effort expected of you. A 19 year old kid who lives with his parents doesn't need insurance, and can find a job with better pay, better hours, and 1/100th the amount of physical labor. What's their motivation for working here?

There isn't much. And with a number of years before the next contract, it's only going to get worse. With every month that passes, that $11 starting pay becomes worth less and less due to inflation. Four years from now, it's going to have less buying power than it does now (which is almost none).

We are also facing the very real possibility that, in many places, before the contract is up, minimum wage will be equal to, or even surpass, the contract rate. That is what UPS is becoming for part timers... a minimum wage job. There are thousands of minimum wage jobs to choose from. Why choose UPS? You'll get 17.5 hours max, most of the year, and at silly hours of the day, for one of the most physically demanding positions around.

The people we do hire are the ones too naive to figure this out before applying. They are not to naive, however, to figure out they got a raw deal once presented with doing the actual job, being exposed to the toxic culture of UPS, and getting their first paycheck.

UPS has painted itself into a corner, and with the full cooperation of the Teamsters. Should the economy continue to improve, as it has, and minimum wage continues to rise, I can easily see us in a position by the end of the contract where, literally, no one is applying for part time positions (especially in areas with higher cost of living), as it's simply no longer a worthwhile endeavor for anyone to pursue.