Christmas Time Preload - Whats it Like?

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
Ive never been at UPS during the peak of Christmas time. Any older UPSers who have been through the system have any tips about preloading feel free to answer.

Same as the rest of the year, except all the sups are on double doses of their blood thinners. God, the only job that drags slower than peak preload, was the one week I worked the unload.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Driver Helper pay is established by local/regional supplements. In Central States, helpers earn $15/hour -- even if they earn more working Preload. Even though I earn a higher wage Preloading, with OT I still average ~$18/hour helping and that's nothing to sneeze at, especially given I'm a 17.5 hour weekly diet most of the year.
----
Over the past few years, Preload has been easier for us hourlys during peak. The only struggle is managing your life for 4 weeks around 12AM start times and dealing with only one break (no lunch). But generally, the pace is much slower than it is throughout much the rest of the year.

underworked1

Run little man run.
Do not run. Drivers are not expected to run for 34+ dollars an hour and you Damn well shouldn't for half that. But get your ass out that car as soon as it's turned off. Walk as quick as possible and get your ass back in and buckle up instantly...nothing worse than a slow helper who fumbles around with the seat belt while I'm angrily grinding teeth.

SCV good to go sir.

There'll be packages flying and pre-loaders crying and drivers stuck in the snow...

There'll be scary volume projections and tales of the agony of peaks long long ago...

OP, don't listen to any of these negative nancys. Peak is great! Think of the your favorite Christmas. Remember how happy you were? Remember that warm feeling of love and goodness in your heart? Remember that smile on your face? Good. Now think of the present you got that year. Let's make that item the physical manifestation of that Christmas. Now let's put it in a cardboard box. Oh no no, leave the bubble wrap and peanuts over there we won't be needing those. Ok, so now we got this cardboard box holding your favorite Christmas memory. Now imagine yourself with the box at your work area. Go ahead and set that box on the floor. Perfect, now step back. Good good.

Forgive me OP, I haven't been completely honest with you. You are now restrained by invisible forces. And look here come all the managers in your hub, but why are they carrying baseball bats? OH MY GOD! WHY WOULD THEY DESTROY YOUR FRAGILE CHRISTMAS MEMORY? Wait, look OP! All the people of the world that act like decent human beings solely during Christmas time (as long as they're not at the mall) have come to repair your Christmas memory! It's a Christmas miracle! ... They.. They just trampled and spit on your destroyed Christmas memory. They added insult to injury. Wow OP, I don't know if you'll ever be able to enjoy Christmas again.

And that's what preload is like during Christmas.