CHSP safety committee background??? Anyone remember the details of the beginnings?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Kicked off the Safety Committee by who(m)????
Safety meetings are a joke. we speak our mind , then we are criticized.. i will leave it at that bubble head......I am old school, i bet you never heard of a DC-8 that we use to load back in the day. With 18 air containers with an L-9 in tail of it , slipped in sideways.. you a young buck.... even 4 bellys in that beast
I'm in my 32nd year and work in a midwest hub.
Been driving for 24 years and the elected steward for 200+ package car drivers for going on 13 years.

Do you still think you are more "old school" than me?
You for sure don't talk like you are by your accounts of what happens to you.
Sounds like the Company treats you like "a young buck" to me.
Well to be fair you sound like you worked at a air hub. There is no reason he should know any of those things. Though I will say bubble head is a well informed person and it wouldn't surprise me if he did. The point that I believe he is trying to make (and I may be wrong) is management shouldn't be allowed to "kick" you off the safty committee and to be honest your teamster coworkers shouldn't have either if you were bringing up good points.

So after typing all that and knowing bubblehead, he might be calling BS on what you said.

(But I've been drinking a little too much tonight so I may be way off) ;)
This ^^^^

LeadBelly

Banned
So far I have come up with some pretty nice information from this site. That’s what keeps me coming back, amongst other things, like the friendships I have with others who don’t necessarily think like me. It’s a beautiful thing!!! Thanks...

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
Anyone with any information on what the cause of this was, please share.

My recollection was that the Committee started after a series of accidents and incidents at the Company which triggered multiple investigations. There was a bad stretch where numerous employees were killed, mostly being crushed in yards by backing tractor trailers. Both hourly and part time sups were jumping down off the dock to retrieve pkgs while the trucks were backing blindly into tight spots. The investigations all showed a lack of yard control measures and general working conditions at the hubs. I believe it was in Upstate New Jersey and New York City area and might have been CACH as well. There were a number of hazmat spills from accidents as well as onroute incidents about the same time in that area. If you remember correctly, we (FEDEX, DHL, and UPS) were getting hit with fines for unmarked hazmats on planes and some pkgs without enough/ incorrect info on the box and that was from FAA. I believe that the Company settled with the agencies agreeing on more training on safety to avoid huge fines or areas closing down. Part of the agreement required a safety committee at each location.