Claim seniority???

Blue skys

I have an issue with my CO-Worker, although this seems like HR it deals with union seniority. I'm going to take it up with my supervisor first but I want to make sure I'm right because I'm not 100%. Anyway, the problem is he keeps on driving loader all the time, and he claims "seniority/ higher seniority". But correct if I'm wrong but I don't think seniority has anything to do with the job task/ what equipment you drive right? I just feel like saying last time I checked you're a ramp employee and that includes other stuff than just driving a loader. I get he's been there longer than me but does that give you the right to do that? I'm not wanting to hog the loader either... I just want my "Fair share of the pie".

quad decade guy

I have an issue with my CO-Worker, although this seems like HR it deals with union seniority. I'm going to take it up with my supervisor first but I want to make sure I'm right because I'm not 100%. Anyway, the problem is he keeps on driving loader all the time, and he claims "seniority/ higher seniority". But correct if I'm wrong but I don't think seniority has anything to do with the job task/ what equipment you drive right? I just feel like saying last time I checked you're a ramp employee and that includes other stuff than just driving a loader. I get he's been there longer than me but does that give you the right to do that? I'm not wanting to hog the loader either... I just want my "Fair share of the pie".

OMG....

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

how about you concern yourself with you and let joebob worry about joebob

Up In Smoke

We don't have that job in my building, but I do believe there should be an intent book held by management for skilled or preferred jobs.

542thruNthru

Do you get paid more when driving the loader? If not I don't understand what you mean "fair share of the pie"

Blue skys

I just want my turn on loader and some sort of equipment rotation schedule to keep things fair. Is that to much to ask? Secondly it's really a yes or no question I don't see any kind of rule or policy in the union that gives the right for one employee to claim higher seniority so he can drive loader all the time.

542thruNthru

I just want my turn on loader and some sort of equipment rotation schedule to keep things fair. Is that to much to ask? Secondly it's really a yes or no question I don't see any kind of rule or policy in the union that gives the right for one employee to claim higher seniority so he can drive loader all the time.

Seniority rules.

542thruNthru

I don't know what that is but it doesn't look like local 89 rider.

But... this is from the national master.
Screenshot_20200826-142734_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

So this says you do not have the right to anything if it is not a preferred job and if there is a past practice I'm willing to bet it goes by seniority.

Blue skys

I don't know what that is but it doesn't look like local 89 rider.

But... this is from the national master.
View attachment 307348

So this says you do not have the right to anything if it is not a preferred job and if there is a past practice I'm willing to bet it goes by seniority.
I know every crew does something differently, but in my mind, I think a rotation schedule is fair gives everybody the same amount of time on every piece of equipment. Also thanks for this article I couldn't find this one. I was referencing an air district one. My supervisor is out on vacation right now but I'm going to pitch her this rotation schedule I made when she gets back.

542thruNthru

I know every crew does something differently, but in my mind, I think a rotation schedule is fair gives everybody the same amount of time on every piece of equipment. Also thanks for this article I couldn't find this one. I was referencing an air district one. My supervisor is out on vacation right now but I'm going to pitch her this rotation schedule I made when she gets back.

Good luck with that.

Sweeper

Where’s the broom?
What makes you think you can rotate on and off jobs? Unless there is a past practice you should WAD. Here management would go by seniority or risk a grievance. The only reason they wouldn’t go by seniority is if there were an operational advantage to not letting the senior employee choose the job they wanted and there was not a history of letting senior employees choose jobs. Seniority can suck until you are the senior employee.

542thruNthru

What makes you think you can rotate on and off jobs? Unless there is a past practice you should WAD. Here management would go by seniority or risk a grievance. The only reason they wouldn’t go by seniority is if there were an operational advantage to not letting the senior employee choose the job they wanted and there was not a history of letting senior employees choose jobs. Seniority can suck until you are the senior employee.

Because it's not fair and he "wants his piece of the pie"
Peter-Griffin-Crying.gif

hexmurph

On our crews the sups rotate. k-load, topside, tug, ground spot, CCD/verify etc. Here your seniority means nothing when it comes to equipment assignments . New people tend to get stuck up top or in the belly more often due to lack of certifications