climate catastrophe

rickyb

im creating a new post on climate catastrophe because it more accurately reflects the environmental situation the elites have created for us

this is an unreal article about how power works (democracy) and stopping mass extinction:

Extinction Rebellion

If we do not shake off our lethargy, our anomie, and resist, our misery, despondency and feelings of helplessness will mount. We will become paralyzed. Resistance, especially given the bleakness before us, is about more than winning. It is about a life of meaning. It is about empowerment. It is a public declaration that we will no longer live according to the dominant lie. It is a message to the elites: YOU DO NOT OWN US. It is about defending our dignity, agency and self-respect. The more we free ourselves from the bondage of fear to throw up barriers along the forced march toward ecocide the more we will be enveloped by a strange kind of euphoria, one I often felt as a war correspondent documenting horrific suffering and atrocities to shame the killers. We obliterate despair in our acts of defiance, even if our victories are Pyrrhic. We reach out to those around us. Courage is contagious. It is the spark that ignites mass revolt. And we should, even if we fail, at least choose how we will die. Resistance is the only action left that will allow us to remain psychologically whole. And it is the only action left that has any hope of halting the wholesale extinction of the human race, not to mention most other species.

There’s a fundamental difference between breaking the law and not breaking the law,” he went on. “It’s a binary difference. When you break the law, then you’re massively more effective in terms of material and psychological influence as well as media interest. The more dramatic the civil disobedience, the better. It’s a numbers game. You want people blocking the streets, but you need ten, twenty, thirty thousand. You don’t need 3 million. You need enough for the state to have to decide whether to use repression on a mass scale or invite you into the room. The gambit, of course, particularly in the U.K., is that the state is weak. It’s been hollowed out by neoliberalism. They’re going to find themselves overwhelmed. We will get in the room.”

Do we allow these people to continue blocking the center of a global city, or do we arrest thousands of people?’ If they opt for arresting thousands of people, lots of things are going to happen. They will be overwhelmed. The police force in the U.K. is underfunded, like most of the public sector. There’s massive disaffection amongst the police. I won’t be surprised if they form a union and say, ‘We’re not doing this anymore.’ I’ve been arrested 10, 12 times in the last two years. Every time, police come up to me going, ‘Keep it up, mate. What you’re doing is great.’ We’re disciplined, nonviolent people. They’re not going to get pissed off at us. They also know it’s over.

“You’re basically holding the economy of a city to ransom,” he said of the shutdowns. “It’s the same dynamic as a labor strike. You want to get into the room and have a negotiation. Extinction Rebellion hasn’t quite decided what that negotiation is going to be. We’ve got three demands—the government tells the truth, the carbon emissions go to zero by 2025, which is a proxy for transformation of the economy and the society, and we have a national assembly which will sort out what the British people want to do about it.

We simply cannot maintain these levels of consumption. They haven’t reckoned with that. One of the main reasons the climate debate has not gotten into a serious mode over the last 30 years is because people who are in charge of informing the public are terrified of telling the public that they can’t have the high consumer lifestyle anymore. It’s a taboo. But like any addiction, there comes a moment of truth. We’re there now.”

El Correcto

god is dead
im creating a new post on climate catastrophe because it more accurately reflects the environmental situation the elites have created for us

this is an unreal article about how power works (democracy) and stopping mass extinction:

Extinction Rebellion

If we do not shake off our lethargy, our anomie, and resist, our misery, despondency and feelings of helplessness will mount. We will become paralyzed. Resistance, especially given the bleakness before us, is about more than winning. It is about a life of meaning. It is about empowerment. It is a public declaration that we will no longer live according to the dominant lie. It is a message to the elites: YOU DO NOT OWN US. It is about defending our dignity, agency and self-respect. The more we free ourselves from the bondage of fear to throw up barriers along the forced march toward ecocide the more we will be enveloped by a strange kind of euphoria, one I often felt as a war correspondent documenting horrific suffering and atrocities to shame the killers. We obliterate despair in our acts of defiance, even if our victories are Pyrrhic. We reach out to those around us. Courage is contagious. It is the spark that ignites mass revolt. And we should, even if we fail, at least choose how we will die. Resistance is the only action left that will allow us to remain psychologically whole. And it is the only action left that has any hope of halting the wholesale extinction of the human race, not to mention most other species.

There’s a fundamental difference between breaking the law and not breaking the law,” he went on. “It’s a binary difference. When you break the law, then you’re massively more effective in terms of material and psychological influence as well as media interest. The more dramatic the civil disobedience, the better. It’s a numbers game. You want people blocking the streets, but you need ten, twenty, thirty thousand. You don’t need 3 million. You need enough for the state to have to decide whether to use repression on a mass scale or invite you into the room. The gambit, of course, particularly in the U.K., is that the state is weak. It’s been hollowed out by neoliberalism. They’re going to find themselves overwhelmed. We will get in the room.”

Do we allow these people to continue blocking the center of a global city, or do we arrest thousands of people?’ If they opt for arresting thousands of people, lots of things are going to happen. They will be overwhelmed. The police force in the U.K. is underfunded, like most of the public sector. There’s massive disaffection amongst the police. I won’t be surprised if they form a union and say, ‘We’re not doing this anymore.’ I’ve been arrested 10, 12 times in the last two years. Every time, police come up to me going, ‘Keep it up, mate. What you’re doing is great.’ We’re disciplined, nonviolent people. They’re not going to get :censored2: off at us. They also know it’s over.

“You’re basically holding the economy of a city to ransom,” he said of the shutdowns. “It’s the same dynamic as a labor strike. You want to get into the room and have a negotiation. Extinction Rebellion hasn’t quite decided what that negotiation is going to be. We’ve got three demands—the government tells the truth, the carbon emissions go to zero by 2025, which is a proxy for transformation of the economy and the society, and we have a national assembly which will sort out what the British people want to do about it.

We simply cannot maintain these levels of consumption. They haven’t reckoned with that. One of the main reasons the climate debate has not gotten into a serious mode over the last 30 years is because people who are in charge of informing the public are terrified of telling the public that they can’t have the high consumer lifestyle anymore. It’s a taboo. But like any addiction, there comes a moment of truth. We’re there now.”
Lol, 0 carbon emission by 2025. Lol civil disobedience in China.
tenor.gif

rickyb

Lol, 0 carbon emission by 2025. Lol civil disobedience in China.
tenor.gif
america jails more people per capita than russia or china currently.

it sends people to blacksites in 3rd world countries and has guantanamo bay and other lawless legal formalities.

america has far more in common with these countries that you rally against than not.

El Correcto

god is dead
america jails more people per capita than russia or china currently.

it sends people to blacksites in 3rd world countries and has guantanamo bay and other lawless legal formalities.

america has far more in common with these countries that you rally against than not.
China is secretly imprisoning close to 1 million people — but they've left 2 big pieces of evidence behind
Actually you don’t know that for a fact.

How many are just flat out killed in mass graves or how many are not being locked in prison, but simply re-educated comrade?

Also I’d take being locked up in an American prison over a Russian or Chinese.

El Correcto

god is dead
We are getting off topic though because you realize what :censored2: demands they are making and how little civil disobedience matters in countries that are expanding green house emissions like China.

rickyb

China is secretly imprisoning close to 1 million people — but they've left 2 big pieces of evidence behind
Actually you don’t know that for a fact.

How many are just flat out killed in mass graves or how many are not being locked in prison, but simply re-educated comrade?

Also I’d take being locked up in an American prison over a Russian or Chinese.
k in terms of re-education you have your mass media system which is controlled by a few corporations, plus the govt education system. that covers probably 90% of the population if not more.

yea im sure its a fact. US is 5% of world pop but 25% of world prison pop.

you might be right about the last part.

El Correcto

god is dead
k in terms of re-education you have your mass media system which is controlled by a few corporations, plus the govt education system. that covers probably 90% of the population if not more.

yea im sure its a fact. US is 5% of world pop but 25% of world prison pop.
Lol now you’re desperately reaching. How many countries in the world even have a comparable criminal justice system to ours? Not many. Of course you don’t have people in prison when you can’t afford to House them or even have the police force to properly investigate crimes and make arrests.

El Correcto

god is dead
take me.

people want to be put out of their misery.

plus guantanamo is more honest form of abuse as opposed to being told your free all the time and yet being abused.
Yeah I’m sure once you realize they won’t let you crash on the couch reading communist manifestos and eating veggie tacos you’ll keep that same mentality.

rickyb

Yeah I’m sure once you realize they won’t let you crash on the couch reading communist manifestos and eating veggie tacos you’ll keep that same mentality.
you can do that stuff and still not be free. what do you think the matrix was about sherlock?

rickyb

Lol now you’re desperately reaching. How many countries in the world even have a comparable criminal justice system to ours? Not many. Of course you don’t have people in prison when you can’t afford to House them or even have the police force to properly investigate crimes and make arrests.
US prison system is for profit, and underfunded as well like the rest of society.

your justice system is like your infrastructure: falling apart for defunding.

El Correcto

god is dead
US prison system is for profit, and underfunded as well like the rest of society.

your justice system is like your infrastructure: falling apart for defunding.
Actually only 8.4% of our prisoners are housed in private prisons.

You won’t find an argument from me defending government waste in the prison system and our infrastructure.

rickyb

Actually only 8.4% of our prisoners are housed in private prisons.

You won’t find an argument from me defending government waste in the prison system and our infrastructure.
its not waste, its defunding.

even if 8% number is true thats too many.

El Correcto

god is dead
if you and i go to guantanamo bay it will be 1 of the most meaningful things thats ever happened to us.
If you really wanna go to gitmo participate in jihadi forums and add them to your charities you give to then jump our border.

I’m sure we won’t mind accommodating you, though if you end up in California they’ll probably make you governor.