CNN Strike Article

Zowert

How the hell are they speculating this so early? They haven’t even begun contract negotiations.

If that estimate on us moving 6% of the nation’s GDP is accurate then a strike would have a pretty significant impact on the economy. Enough to get Biden’s attention. He is already struggling with inflation and lingering supply-chain issues. How he reacts to a Teamsters strike on UPS will be interesting.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
20EFF153-7C3C-4408-93A0-E6F75D43C9F5.jpeg

Zowert

Yea that article kind of focuses on package car drivers only lol. Who's gonna unload, load, sort, pull trailers etc.?
Exactly. RPCD’s and 22.4’s won’t be the only ones striking, everyone working inside will be on the picket line as well. Even if you have supervisors running routes, they’re showing up to empty trucks in the morning. They’re gonna have to unload, sort and load volume. I really want to know what her plan is. You can’t replace such a large workforce over night. Even if they could muster 350,000 people to take our place, they don’t have the manpower to train that many newbies at one time. This woman is delusional if she thinks UPS can operate during a strike.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
How the hell are they speculating this so early? They haven’t even begun contract negotiations.

If that estimate on us moving 6% of the nation’s GDP is accurate then a strike would have a pretty significant impact on the economy. Enough to get Biden’s attention. He is already struggling with inflation and lingering supply-chain issues. How he reacts to a Teamsters strike on UPS will be interesting.

I am pretty sure that Atlanta had contingency plans back in "97" also....

O'Brien has already spelled out what he wants..and none of those current improvements would bankrupt the Company or hurt their shareholders.

For those worried about a possible "Closed Shop" option by the company sleep well...(IT AIN"T GOING TO HAPPEN).

Please remember that our contracts run for three to five years. Even if Atlanta gives us everything we ask for and more it would never affect their operations or their shareholders, and if it did they have an out with the next contract.

JustDeliverIt

Exactly. RPCD’s and 22.4’s won’t be the only ones striking, everyone working inside will be on the picket line as well. Even if you have supervisors running routes, they’re showing up to empty trucks in the morning. They’re gonna have to unload, sort and load volume. I really want to know what her plan is. You can’t replace such a large workforce over night. Even if they could muster 350,000 people to take our place, they don’t have the manpower to train that many newbies at one time. This woman is delusional if she thinks UPS can operate during a strike.

Exactly. They can’t staff the operation when there isn’t a strike, but they have a backup plan for a scenario where we strike. Sure, good luck with that.

I’ve said before that I honestly don’t believe it will get to that, too much will be lost on both sides. But if we do strike there will not be anything moving. Public only sees their driver walking up the driveway, much more has to happen to get to that point. It’s not rocket science but it does take a lot of man power.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

This ain’t 1997. People are much less patient for their cheap online junk. They want it and they want it now. There’s also no love or sympathy for the labor movement anymore. We’re the highest paid and compensated in the industry, like the article said 145,000 a year in pay and benefits. When most people make far less and get nothing I don’t see the support for it. And during a time of recession and inflation when people are hardly scraping by for the people who deliver the food and medicine and make the world spin to go on strike, I’m pretty sure we would be roundly hated. Plus you got a lot of workers here who need to pay the bills. 300,000,000 strike fund will go quick paying 345,000 workers with it. You probably couldn’t get 5% of the workers of a hub to even show on the picket line. No one cares.

Exactly. They can’t staff the operation when there isn’t a strike, but they have a backup plan for a scenario where we strike. Sure, good luck with that.

I’ve said before that I honestly don’t believe it will get to that, too much will be lost on both sides. But if we do strike there will not be anything moving. Public only sees their driver walking up the driveway, much more has to happen to get to that point. It’s not rocket science but it does take a lot of man power.
We have a nationwide trucker shortage right now.

Thebrownblob

Like I said in several the other threads hopefully it is not come down to us walking.
Every bit of what we’re reading is speculation at this point. Certainly those of us that work here know the mood, but even that is not a guarantee one way or the other

We will have at least an idea after the first proposals from each side show how far apart they are. We are still several months away from that. Right now everything is just posturing.

Every bit of what we’re reading is speculation at this point. Certainly those of us that work here know the mood, but even that is not a guarantee one way or the other

We will have at least an idea after the first proposals from each side show how far apart they are. We are still several months away from that. Right now everything is just posturing.
The only thing it really bothers me is a lot of guys want to strike just for the hell of it