Code Of Federal Regulations- interesting

local804

DEAR NYCOFR: I would appreciate it if you could direct me to the provision of the law that talks about whether a worker has to be paid for time needed to change into a uniform.

Statute Please

DEAR STATUTE: That would be sections 785.24C, 785.25 and 785.26 of the massive Code of Federal Regulations. You can search for entries online at www.gpoaccess.gov/cfr/index.html.

The cases cited there deal with specific industries. But courts have generally held that changing into uniforms on the job is considered work, and hourly employees must be paid for it, according to Irv Miljoner, who heads the Long Island office of the U.S. Labor Department.

But 785.24c cites a key exception: If you change clothes at work for your own convenience and the clothing you don isn't related to your job, then the company doesn't have to pay you for that time.

In general though, Miljoner says, if you are required to wear specialized clothing to perform your job, you have to be paid for the time to change into or out of it at work.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Maybe thats the reason they quit making us change into a uniform at work several years ago. I remember when I started back in 84, you could either wear a UPS shirt or pants back and forth to work but not both. We also had an outside company washing our pants every week.

wkmac

I've been changing into a company issued uniform for 27 years off the clock and to be honest I'd just assume keep it that way. I'm afraid the company would need a timestudy done in order to determine for a clothes changing allowance and of course they'd pick tieguy to do it and I know he won't be able to keep his hands off of me once he sees me standing there in my underwear!

:rofl:

Just messin' with ya Tie!

Seriously, I've been doing this so long I'm in the habit of getting to work early enough to not only change clothes at my leisure but to even get a cup of coffee so I can warm up to the idea of working! The routine works for me but if you other guys want the money, whatever. But the first one of you who yells at me in the locker room for working off the clock I'll rip my underwear from my body and go running out of the locker room screaming rape and don't for one minute think I won't. I am stone cold crazy! Ask tie!

:crazy2:

:winks:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

When I first started we were only allowed to wear either the shirt or the pants, but not both, to work and we also had our uniforms washed for us. Now only a few of the old-timers change at work--everyone else shows up already in uniform and we are responsible to maintain our own uniforms.

(Side note--when you do your taxes, make sure to account for uniform maintenance. I use $10/week for this and it goes under unreimubrsed job expenses)

We also have several employees who bring their DIADs upstairs with them while they change in to civilian clothes and punch out on their way back downstairs. This has been addressed by our center manager and will probably go the way of paper delivery records as a battle over 5 minutes is certainly not worth an $80K job.

local804

We had the service that took our uniforms and cleaned them for us. It turned out to be more of a hassle with missing uniforms and running out of clothes before the new ones came back so we stopped using them. If we are allowed to change on the clock and you choose to change off the clock, so be it. I prefer bathrooms not bottles, some prefer bottles, we are all different. Some work their lunch, I choose not to, I come to work to make money not to work for free.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
It clearly states in the contract that "the employee shall not be paid for the time putting on or taking off the uniform."
Most people in my building come to work in their uniform. We dont have enough lockers for everybody, and you cant be required to change into your uniform at work if UPS wont provide a locker.

local804

The contract also says that the supervisors shall not work and wear name tags and we all know thats a crock. What article did you read that quote? I dont see it the section that talks about uniforms or sanitary locker rooms.