College and Mall Routes

AlliSeeisBrown

Like @Wally said, paid by the hour, a day or two learning what goes where and it'll all be good. One stop at a time.
Aren't there individual bldg names or at least room numbers?
Most pkgs have building names and numbers but there's at least 20 pieces that just have the college address. The bid driver who's had this route for 15+ years has the names memorized and ID access to key locations. I get a lot of grief from clerks and mgmt for bringing back so many exceptions but I really don't care. Not to mention there's about 50 buildings and we have to deliver to different rooms inside of those buildings.

Loading mall and plaza trucks sucks at first. I feel your guys's pain, in a way. I'm sorry no I don't know where your dolly is, but trust when I say some of us care..

The last time they cycled me through the mall truck, dude was super appreciative and never had to load stacks or do much but get in and go.

UPS instructs us to load up to a certain HIN as usual, and after that use slots for the stores. We are supposed to put 5108 in its physical location not with the 30 other 5108's you've gotta lug through the mall that are in your RDC.

And usually this stuff is air envelopes, and since cars are bricked, it's impossible to fetch things over immovable stacks.

I loaded by store, so the driver didn't have to climb over stacks to grab an envelope, residentials were loaded label up MFL/MFR and forward or toted on top. Sometimes when it was a couple air envelopes they'd get toted and put right behind him.

Management didn't like my numbers but I kept him super happy. These cars are definitely not "load as directed". They are definitely "load as your driver needs them loaded, so listen and learn".

Over time you realize John Smith is also "Manager" and also "Gamestop" or just go by addresses. There's no point putting 7040 for a guy you're gonna be dropping off a ton of stuff to.
This is where I can't complain. The loader for this route is top notch. He puts the same buildings at the same location every day. He also goes to that college so he knows what buildings to group together based on how where they're located on campus. Also he knows im cover so he'll give me a quick run down in the morning of what crap he had to put in different spots. Good guy.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Love watching the football team practice on lunch.

tenor (7).gif

AlliSeeisBrown

...nah. Out of UPS.

I often wonder if there'd be anything worthwhile finishing mine with.
In my opinion, 4 year degrees are on the verge of being negligible, even from an accredited university. A lot of people, including myself, find difficulty finding good jobs that compensate well with just a degree. Networking and experience takes the cake. Hard for me to network working 55 hours a week for ups haha.

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
In my opinion, 4 year degrees are negligible.

Shoulda seen the look on the face of the college kid I delivered to today when I told him there are top rate drivers that regularly clear $100k a year, not counting healthcare.

Yeah kid, unless you're becoming a doctor, lawyer, or accountant, you're just wasting your time and your parents money lol.

Box Ox

Shoulda seen the look on the face of the college kid I delivered to today when I told him there are top rate drivers that regularly clear $100k a year, not counting healthcare.

Yeah kid, unless you're becoming a doctor, lawyer, or accountant, you're just wasting your time and your parents money lol.

I dunno. 60K and family time might be alright.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'

One year out of school and my daughter will make more than I will this year. Not all college degress are worthless.
She still enjoys my healthcare benefits though!:rolleyes:

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit

There are more opportunities to make 100k with a degree than without. UPS is a notable exception.

Lol this thread really makes me miss doing seasonal cable/Internet reconnects for rich hotties on the lakes.. best part of summer was sudden rainstorms that lasted 20 minutes but got all the white tshirts wet. "Take the long way home" was code for boobies at the lake.

GenericUsername

I don't see the OP's gripe about mall routes. Sure, the college route here is pretty brutal, but it's not so bad if you know it. The guy does 400-500 pieces at the college (7 stops) from August 1 - September 1, then after that it dies down to about 200-250. After that he does mostly resis (maybe 10-15 businesses). Repeat again for the 2nd semester. During the summer here, he does about 40 businesses, including the main 2 stops at the college,and 100 resis and it's an easy day.

Our mall route closest to the center runs a double trip with a 1000 and Bertha. Sure, it's bulky, but you can knock out the entire route by 4:30 with your lunch taken and get to sit around for an hour and a half for a letter box. Average pieces Mon/Wed/Friday is 300 or so delivered, 400 pickup (Monday) or 100-200 pickup the other days. Tuesday/Thursday are shoe days and have between 450-600 delivered and 200 or so pickup. All the shoes stores have a back door and you can easily dump the 70+ Champs, 40+ Foot Locker, 30+ Kids Foot Locker/etc right off the back of the truck. It's by far the most stress free route I've ever driven too. 7 minutes away from the building, drive one circle and return to center... Come back with second truck and do it again. Day is over. Average mileage is 18 miles.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I hated covering the route near the college with all the frat houses and sorority houses...it was cool seeing jugs all day but I hated all those shirtless frat poooooosies playing beer pong at 10am.
Got invited to a few sorority parties while delivering in my younger days. Good times b