College Campus Routes?

Torn77ag

I am fixing to get a new route and I am going to be on a campus route. Do you guys know if the campus routes are bad or better than regular routes on average? I have a option of choosing and not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks!!!

SmithBarney

Depends, can you dump most of the stuff at central receiving? or
do you have to service all the buildings?
You should probably talk to some of the people who have run the route..
perhaps even the last person that ran it..

Overpaid Union Thug

The college routes aren't really routes at all because most of them only have three stops. Central Recieving, Book Store, and the cafeteria are the typical stops. Your rear door left, right, and sometimes middle, will be bulked out with all three. Sometimes the preloader can seperate them and sometimes not. During the summer is the best time because there isn't much comming in but right about now (late July/Early August) the rear of your truck will be slammed. One thing that sucks about delivering colleges is that many of them have a certain time frame that the Central Recieving dock must be delivered. Ours, for example, is supposed to be delivered between 9:30-11:00 with NDAs and EAMs being the exception but you might as well wait until you deliver the bulk unless you want to go there twice. The most frustrating thing is when there are NDAs, or even worse...EAMs, for Central Recieving. The people working the dock there don't even deliver them until after lunch so what's the point?

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I hear the one im my center sucks. From what I understand, the driver has to deliver to the campus mail center and seperate/sheet each package as indivudual stops(a ton of em too). On the upside, the scenery is ALWAYS nice esp. during the warmer months.:thumbup1:

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
I was on a college route as a helper during Peak '06. Interesting route. We had to deliver to Central Receiving, Bookstore AND the dorms. The dorms were closed and after about a week of sending packages back, people got the message and rerouted packages or futured. It depended on if the receiver lived in the area or had gone home for Christmas which they did. Our college route wasn't bad, really. My driver said that around this time--late July/early August--management put a split car out to handle the volume for the campus. Ahhhhh...PEAK '07 IS COMING!!!:bored:. -Rocky

I've done the college route in my center twice. It's not my favorite. Not much goes to central receiving. It has about 80-95 stops for the campus and dorms. then another 40 or so businesses and resi's. The main problem is all the campus buildings come as one address, you have to sort all the departments yourself and know which building they are in.

hoser

Industrial Slob
I am fixing to get a new route and I am going to be on a campus route. Do you guys know if the campus routes are bad or better than regular routes on average? I have a option of choosing and not sure. Any info would be great. Thanks!!!
They're wicked, but the funny thing is that if the campus makes things easier for you [like having one central dock], UPS will just work you harder and make the campus half of your route and the surrounding resi your other half. If they make it 'difficult', you spend most your time going into each individual building, which, if you ask me, is very great. Dense enough to make your job easy but not too dense that you have to park in the middle of a 5 lane downtown.

I cover my school sometimes so I see everyone I know which kinda a bad thing for productivity. And oh man, the honeys at school make it all worth it.

Congratulations.

rod

Retired 22 years
Prepare yourself for lots of damage claims. Apparently to qualify for entrance to a college you have to be a total idiot when it comes to packing a box. The standard college package is a box with all your worldly possesions cramed into it with absolutly no packing materials. Go ahead and send all your electronics dumped in a box with a couple of weights for your barbell setup. ( and then cry and get mad because your laptop got damaged). I swear the "smarter" they are the less comon sense people have.

705red

Browncafe Steward

Fixing to get a new route? You mean bid on a new route! let me at a route like that and ill be fixing all those college girls.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I deliver to a small town (10,000 people) that has two colleges. One is public and the other private. We use to only deliver to Post Office, maint., bookstore and cafeteria. Then Office Depot talked UPS into delivering their packages to each individual building. At first I would take all the packages to one location in each building. Then all the lazy people in each building started complaining about having to go get their packages. So now I get to go to each office!

What a joy it is to take 5 to 10 minutes for each stop now instead of 1 or 2. Nothing like having to go run down each person or find someone that will take their packages since they never seem to be at their desks. Now people are starting to take it one step further. They are addressing other packages besides Office Depot to come to their offices. So far I have been told to send them to the Post Office by my supervisor. I imagine it will only be a matter of time before management has me delivering everything to each office. If they do, I hope they are ready to add another route in town.

Thats also when I will be bidding off this route!

ups_vette

RockyRogue....Was that the University of Colorado in Boulder that you delivered last peak? If so, I was the 1st UPS person to deliver there in Nov of 1971 when UPS began service in Colorado, and can only imagine how it's changed since then.