Colombia

newfie

Heading there January 3rd. No retirement yet, paying off some newly occurred bills. Just had septic tank repaired for $2700. Still need new roof on house.

City I'll be living in has daily highs in mid 70's year round, lows in high 50's. Many restaurants there offer a daily lunch special that runs $2-$4 depending on restaurant. Good internet in Colombia so will have Dish satellite on my tablet for tv. Thinking about getting another Amazon Firestick to plug into tv there for Dish access. Will definitely do when, and if, wife joins me.

Tried several jobs in last couple of months but bottom line between some physical issues and really not wanting to hump anymore I would rather do this than work. Just want to enjoy remaining time. Took some doing but wife ok with it now. She says she will join me eventually but as long as daughter is needing financial assistance I expect her to be in Kansas.

Safety in Colombia has greatly improved and with mild weather and low cost of living I wish I had gone there instead of former Soviet Union. Last I checked $1840 a month in city I'll be living in is equivalent of $5300 in take home pay in Overland Park. Colombia is big on malls, and in the bigger cities there are multiplexes with American movie showings in English. Unlike Mexico supermarkets there are very well developed with a lot of American goods. Good public transportation, good highways.

Just thought I'd share if someone is trying to figure out how to afford retirement.

hill country near bogota?

vantexan

Had a root canal done this morning for 200,000 Colombian Pesos. And it already feels much better. Checked exchange rate when I got back to my room. 200,000 Pesos= $63.29. :)

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
Had a root canal done this morning for 200,000 Colombian Pesos. And it already feels much better. Checked exchange rate when I got back to my room. 200,000 Pesos= $63.29. :)
Tayrona national park is not a bad place. Might have some restrictions on fishing but there's places nearby.

oldngray

nowhere special
So are you saying that you’re really not a rat out of a cage?
mouse_waving_hello.gif

SolidWoodPanel

Probably the Greatest American Alive
I would love to explore Colombia a little more but locked into a nonrefundable reservation in Ecuador next month. Then headed home.
Depending on where youre at, you can get some really cheap flights. It was $150 outta NYC La Guardia, BWI, and Miami-Ft. Lauderdale not too long ago. I'd take a weekend there, stay at a nice hotel and eat good on a budget than flying to Vegas, or Los Angeles anyday.

vantexan

Depending on where youre at, you can get some really cheap flights. It was $150 outta NYC La Guardia, BWI, and Miami-Ft. Lauderdale not too long ago. I'd take a weekend there, stay at a nice hotel and eat good on a budget than flying to Vegas, or Los Angeles anyday.
Was in Bogota, now in San Gil. Cutting it short and heading home on the 7th. I got a good deal on JetBlue from Orlando to Bogota. $104 total. Got a great room with private bath in San Gil for $208 for 30 nights. Maid service, place is spotless. Usually eat once a day so food bill minimal too.