Combo 22.3 Seniority

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Highest to lowest is right. She's off her rocker

Past practice is what I would file on this. However some local riders have specific language on letting people go home by seniority. In most cases though.. And these words are straight from my BA "seniority gives you the right to work. It does not give u the right NOT to work."

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
From a business perspective, it makes the most sense to offer layoff days first to FT combos and then in seniority order to PT'ers because those are the folks with the highest hourly rate. But they always try and slip their favorites/least-favorites out ahead of seniority.

I tend to only go home if I'm sick enough to leave but not sick enough to call out. I started 401K contributions and auto-savings account deductions to make going home hurt my "fun money fund" a lot more as an incentive to stay - it definitely helps. Going home one day during the week and then not having a six pack of craft beer in the budget for the weekend keeps my ass at work.

On the flip side, I have people in my hub that - no exaggeration here - go home 3 or 4 days a week. One person told me the other day that they had literally not worked a single day from mid-September through January. Granted, these are folks with other jobs during the day but I hope they understand the importance of getting their 750 hours/year for their PT pension credit.

What do u drink for the rest of the weekend after 10pm Friday?!?!?!? Lol

packageguy

Hello I have a slight issue due to the fact that my seniority was sort of taken away. I am a combo worker 22.3, working 5 hours in the warehouse and 3 hours delivering air. Usually in my area of the warehouse we are sometimes overstaffed and they ask workers if they would like to go home starting from highest seniority to lowest. I have been in the same area of the warehouse for 17years even after I got the combo job 5 years into UPS. Well since I am third in seniority they ask me if I want to go home usually I say no but sometimes I am beat and decide to leave and get a couple of hours shut eye before heading to my second shift. Well it seems a part time worker who is also a union representative had an issue with that. She decided to go to the union and she established that they are not suppose to ask me if I can go home but rather ask all the part timers first and if they don't want to go home then they can ask me. Her reason was that since I am full time, my hours are guaranteed and should not be allowed to leave until the part timers leave first. This seemed kind of strange to me because they would ask me by my seniority for about 12 years and all of a sudden she takes that away from me. I am not looking to go home everyday but I do want to be asked if I would like to go home just as an option, can anyone tell me if she has a case to get away with this.

​wow, nothing like a full time job, but want part time hours, what a joke, then post here for answer, maybe that is why they want to get rid of 22.3 jobs. You guys go home and give part timers the work...... What a joke

packageguy

Past practice is what I would file on this. However some local riders have specific language on letting people go home by seniority. In most cases though.. And these words are straight from my BA "seniority gives you the right to work. It does not give u the right NOT to work."

your right seniority gives the right to work...

edgarg1223

Please understand I HARDLY EVER GO HOME. Before she came at me with this rule they would ask me if I would want to go home and I would take advantage every blue moon. I get everything you say about earning potential and trust me I am not one of those people that leave and only work every now and then. As a matter of fact she is the one that is never there, missing 1 to even 4 days out of the week and even when she is there she sometimes leaves early, complaining that she is sick or something. I can't afford to miss days but sometimes as we all know there are days when you are just plain tired, aching or feeling under the weather. All I am saying is ask by seniority they way they had been doing in my area for over a decade before she got there, don't accommodate someone who doesn't deserve it. I won't go home but I would like to be asked if I want to.

edgarg1223

​wow, nothing like a full time job, but want part time hours, what a joke, then post here for answer, maybe that is why they want to get rid of 22.3 jobs. You guys go home and give part timers the work...... What a joke

I know what you saying man but I am not that person, 99.9% of the time I didn't go home if asked its just the fact that a lazy person who is trying to find ways to always go home somehow found another loophole to do so. I don't know what the deal is about 22.3 jobs that you hate I am just making a living and this combo job was offered to me and has accommodated me very well. I signed every bid list, did my share of part time and was willing to be a driver, but somehow I got this it works great for my family and myself. I could have stayed part time and made less money or become a driver and make more money but this works for me, sorry. Oh and if you understood what I wrote I am not going home the part timer who has never worked a full week gets to go home. Get it!! In my warehouse part timers don't want to work they want to go home no matter how little they have worked all week. That is the joke.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
This post needs some help.

How can you say "maybe that's why they want to get rid of 22.3 jobs"? Who is "they"? Why would UPS want to get rid of an employee who has flexibility? If anything they (assuming you're talking about the company) wants to get rid of the blood sucking leech 22.3s who milk every last penny like it's their last, and worst of all, think they're better than part-timers because they have a FT seniority date. Joke's on you.

packageguy

everybody I been talking to, keep saying 22.3 was a mistake from the last strike back in 1997, UPS promised all these new jobs. So they made 22.3 jobs. Now from what I understand they are not replacing 22.3 jobs when they become Vacated. What UPS should of done was put full time package car drivers.

Also 22,3 drivers been doing ground work. So I grieve every chance I get. Why pay a 22.3 driver ground when he or she delivers 1 piece or 20 stops. Yet us drivers out all day with a full truck. Making the same money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

@Littleboybrown , wth ? , break that down again very slowly please .

He has a valid point (hard to find in that jumbled mess)---he is saying that rather than create 22.3 jobs the company should have added more FT driver jobs. As 22.3 jobs are vacated they are not being filled and 22.3 employees are being used to deliver ground packages which puts them at top rate for the day. Adding more FT driver jobs would eliminate this and decrease the overall dispatch.

We have several 22.3's and for the most part they are used appropriately but every once in a while they will be used to deliver ground. We have one 22.3 who runs a full delivery route as needed due to staffing shortages.

FAVREFAN

I have stood at the gate and asked why are you going home did you get your guarantee ? Only do be answered "I got my benefits" .Well after the company's initial offer the rent is coming due. As a steward I make sure I at least get my 3 and 1/2 i.e. practice what I preach. The 750 is the highlight of my year with 15 in the book. I go to work at 7 in the morning (full time job) and pull up in the drive way @ 930 PM.
You will retire a rich man. Nice.

packageguy

I was on a teamster web site this morning, saying how HOFFA drop the ball, gave into UPS for not fighting for 22.3. Thinking about it now he realized he made a mistake, they should have been full time package car driver and not 22.3.

packageguy

He has a valid point (hard to find in that jumbled mess)---he is saying that rather than create 22.3 jobs the company should have added more FT driver jobs. As 22.3 jobs are vacated they are not being filled and 22.3 employees are being used to deliver ground packages which puts them at top rate for the day. Adding more FT driver jobs would eliminate this and decrease the overall dispatch.

We have several 22.3's and for the most part they are used appropriately but every once in a while they will be used to deliver ground. We have one 22.3 who runs a full delivery route as needed due to staffing shortages.

Thank you upstate...

packageguy

Don't get me wrong, I am not knocking 22.3... all I am saying
is those 22.3 jobs should have been full time package car drivers.....

Island

In my air & ground building, and this is pretty much the same for all our sorts as I hear, the option to go home is given departmentally. For instance, there may be two departments next to each other, with one full-timer and twenty part-timers (and all fters in our sort are 15 yrs+). #1 guy is in department A and he wants to go home to his wife because their accountant is on the phone and they desperately need a missing piece of paperwork for their tax form, but a few people don't show up so he doesn't get the option to leave despite asking his PT Sup. #2 guy, with a year less than #1, is in department B and everyone shows up and manager is screaming on the radio to reduce staff and increase the package count per person over the existing illegally-high numbers, #2 is gonna stride on out of that door and #1 is going to spend the day wringing his hands.
The local doesn't seem to care to get involved and some have said it's specifically because everyone knows how heated the opinions are on the subject. "No old timer should ever leave early!" "I should be able to leave early if I want to!" and then you end up with the union saying, "Look, you guys pay your dues no matter what decision we make, so our decision is to let you continue your bitter resentment and petty feuding. I mean, the company wins here because our position is weakened, but we only care about your dues."
I have a FT coworker who likes to leave early because he has a second FT job that often has meetings and appointments at odd times. He has no issue leaving early because he has 27 years of smiling at management under his belt. I don't really see anything wrong with this personally. There aren't going to be more full-time jobs just because old timers stop leaving early, soooo... the arguments don't really effect me.

Kylew

We fight over full time positions and then when we get them we work part time????Combo job is 8 hours no wonder company is doing away with them!We give them reasons too!

edgarg1223

This post needs some help.

How can you say "maybe that's why they want to get rid of 22.3 jobs"? Who is "they"? Why would UPS want to get rid of an employee who has flexibility? If anything they (assuming you're talking about the company) wants to get rid of the blood sucking leech 22.3s who milk every last penny like it's their last, and worst of all, think they're better than part-timers because they have a FT seniority date. Joke's on you.

Cmon, I don't think I am better than anybody, you don't know me. I get my 8 hours a day because that is what I am guaranteed and it is 8 hours of work. Look I got on this forum for answers to questions. I didnt know there was so much animosity between employees. Its obvious every warehouse is different and this forum doesnt differentiate between them. There are some people on here that think every warehouse has the same type of employees whether they are part timers, full timers or combo workers. There are employees that take advantage or employees that are lazy or whatever you may think of but unless you know them personally, you don't know them. I have never been accused of being a blood sucking leech but I guess I shouldnt take it personal even though I am. And I am not talking about FT seniority, I am talking about seniority period, if a PT has more seniority than me then I don't have problem with them bumping me.

edgarg1223

We fight over full time positions and then when we get them we work part time????Combo job is 8 hours no wonder company is doing away with them!We give them reasons too!

Holy crap, everyone on here has taken this to another extreme, I was just trying to figure out how seniority works with PT and FT working together. I am full time and work full time not part time hours. Sorry to ruffle everyones feathers. Whoever you have in mind that does that, ​I am not that person!!

I'm not going to get into this FT vs PT stuff and if we have 22.3 working their full eight. The response I posted regarding this issue is contractual language and I assume your in the south, judging by the TITANS avatar. As I stated before " In my classification we have two 22.3 and the rest are part time", according to article 64, I fall between the top 22.3 based on company seniority, and the second 22.3. If time off is offered I am asked second within our classification. I have a 30 mile commute and I'll be damned if I'm going back to the house without without my time in. Hope this clears this up.