Coming from USPS is being a package handler worth it with the goal of driving?

SgtJoo

Coming from driving for USPS for a few years and only just now starting the 1st year of a 12.4 year pay progression to the top step of the career employee contract (currently top step is $35/hr) I was wondering if it's worth cutting my teeth as a handler with the goal of becoming a driver. We load our own trucks at USPS so there's at least some relevant experience... (obviously smaller boxes, smaller trucks)

The benefits seem better but obviously it's way less money. It seems like handler to driver is anywhere from 1-6 years depending on the hub? I'm in a fairly decent mid size city on the east coast (300k population). And driver progression caps out after 4 years? I know they're hiring lots of handlers right now where I am.

Seems like an upgrade from waiting 12 years, even if I have to scrape along the seniority roster for a long time until non PT handler stuff opens up. Although I'll be 30 in August of next year.

Anyone done USPS > UPS? Thoughts?

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
Coming from driving for USPS for a few years and only just now starting the 1st year of a 12.4 year pay progression to the top step of the career employee contract (currently top step is $35/hr) I was wondering if it's worth cutting my teeth as a handler with the goal of becoming a driver. We load our own trucks at USPS so there's at least some relevant experience... (obviously smaller boxes, smaller trucks)

The benefits seem better but obviously it's way less money. It seems like handler to driver is anywhere from 1-6 years depending on the hub? I'm in a fairly decent mid size city on the east coast (300k population). And driver progression caps out after 4 years? I know they're hiring lots of handlers right now where I am.

Seems like an upgrade from waiting 12 years, even if I have to scrape along the seniority roster for a long time until non PT handler stuff opens up. Although I'll be 30 in August of next year.

@IVE GOTTA PACKAGE 4U

From a Land Brown Under

Are you saying you make 35$ an hour as of now with the APWU?

Honestly with that many years vested in your own union, I would say just stay. You’ll probably deal with way more bs with on road sups and what not being at UPS. Plus, it’ll annoy you to no end having no seniority again.

Ultimately these decisions will be up to you, but from an outside perspective with someone who knows at least 3 different retired USPS people, they retired really nicely anytime we went out camping with them.

SgtJoo

Are you saying you make 35$ an hour as of now with the APWU?

Honestly with that many years vested in your own union, I would say just stay. You’ll probably deal with way more bs with on road sups and what not being at UPS. Plus, it’ll annoy you to no end having no seniority again.

Ultimately these decisions will be up to you, but from an outside perspective with someone who knows at least 3 different retired USPS people, they retired really nicely anytime we went out camping with them.

Only about 20 and change an hour on our pay scale right now. Raises are about a dollar a year, capping out at 35 after about 12 years from now.

To be honest I was non-career for over two years at USPS before making the seniority roster as a career employee only this year (about 6 months ago). So really there's not much seniority to lose. Plus our supes suck ass at USPS too, lmao.

I just see it as a way to shortcut 12 years of waiting to cap out, plus I really love the Teamsters. I think they have way more teeth than the NALC does. (Current union steward btw, lol) And I think parcel delivery is the future, not mail.

The only legit concern I have is not pulling enough hours as only a PT package handler to make money, I think...

Only about 20 and change an hour on our pay scale right now. Raises are about a dollar a year, capping out at 35 after about 12 years from now.

To be honest I was non-career for over two years at USPS before making the seniority roster as a career employee only this year (about 6 months ago). So really there's not much seniority to lose. Plus our supes suck ass at USPS too, lmao.

I just see it as a way to shortcut 12 years of waiting to cap out, plus I really love the Teamsters. I think they have way more teeth than the NALC does. (Current union steward btw, lol) And I think parcel delivery is the future, not mail.

The only legit concern I have is not pulling enough hours as only a PT package handler to make money, I think...
Unless you are single living in moms basement, you will need a second job to go along with PT at UPS. Could you do the Post Office and PT and see which one pays off?

SgtJoo

Unless you are single living in moms basement, you will need a second job to go along with PT at UPS. Could you do the Post Office and PT and see which one pays off?

Married with my wife's income to go along with it... but I don't think the UPS and USPS schedules would line up to do both, and either way working for a competitor would be a no go for either one.

I could probably scrape together some gig work, are there any common 2nd jobs PT handlers have?

opie

That's exactly why I'm looking at UPS, lol 💀

Even with time spent as a handler it seems like a better plan.
You can try to apply directly for a driving position after the holidays. Depends on your area, but a lot of the drivers we hired the last few years came off the street. Not many package handlers want to drive. So even if you become a package handler, the wait should not be as long as you think. In our local, after 6 months you can apply for a FT position.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You can try to apply directly for a driving position after the holidays. Depends on your area, but a lot of the drivers we hired the last few years came off the street. Not many package handlers want to drive. So even if you become a package handler, the wait should not be as long as you think. In our local, after 6 months you can apply for a FT position.

I agree with this, just keep applying for a driver position. You might luck out.

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
It's a roll of the dice at my building I know someone that's been waiting 3 years,I know another guy that became a 22.4 after 1 year.

SgtJoo

It's a roll of the dice at my building I know someone that's been waiting 3 years,I know another guy that became a 22.4 after 1 year.

Hmmm.

What's the pay progression timeline for UPS drivers? I heard it was like 4 years and I'm just doing the math in my head. Either way, off the street or package handler to driver it seems advantageous compared to just waiting it out at USPS, lol.

6 months or 3 years of handling + driver pay progression is still < 12 years imo

Also isn't the hiring ratio at UPS like 6 inside driver hires to 1 outside per the contract?

Swanson

Henry Swanson's my name, and excitement's my game.
Hmmm.

What's the pay progression timeline for UPS drivers? I heard it was like 4 years and I'm just doing the math in my head. Either way, off the street or package handler to driver it seems advantageous compared to just waiting it out at USPS, lol.

6 months or 3 years of handling + driver pay progression is still < 12 years imo
It's 4 year progression.I would take the advice and try to apply for driver position verses working as a handler.The guy I know that became a driver after 1 year also worked at the post office before.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD

USPS sucks, your not gunna get any pootang driving that tiny ass go cart , UPS IS THE WAY TO GO
🧔✊

Rpcd?

I started as a pt package handler and signed the first sheet I saw for a driving spot and became a seniority driver 3 months after being hired,really only worked pt for about a month and a half