Coming from USPS is being a package handler worth it with the goal of driving?

nWo

Fact or cap? 🧐

12 years is probably exaggerated right now. But it did take many of us 10 years of pt work just to get ft gig. Then another 3-4 years to top out.

Usually you would have to work pt to a 22.4 gig opens up. Then you would have to wait until they hire RPCDs again and hope your far enough up to 22.4 list to get the RPCD gig. The 22.4 top out is like $6 less than RPCD.

The union wants to get rid of 22.4 and make them all RPCDs in 2023. But that's not set in stone.

12 years is probably exaggerated right now. But it did take many of us 10 years of pt work just to get ft gig. Then another 3-4 years to top out.

Usually you would have to work pt to a 22.4 gig opens up. Then you would have to wait until they hire RPCDs again and hope your far enough up to 22.4 list to get the RPCD gig. The 22.4 top out is like $6 less than RPCD.

The union wants to get rid of 22.4 and make them all RPCDs in 2023. But that's not set in stone.
The Company would like to get rid of RPCD and make everyone 22.4.

Captain Qwark

"I don't deserve these bulbous buttocks."
This would be a difficult decision if I were in your shoes. It's not like you're going to stay at $20/hr for the next 12 years at USPS, right? That's not a bad wage in my opinion.

Just know that if you do get hired on at UPS, as a driver, you will most likely do the worst routes in the center, e.g. the industrial, mall, downtown etc. routes in the biggest trucks. Oh, and how do you like climbing 3 flights of stairs in a mega apartment complex for a couple hours or so or dealing with over 70lb packages? Not all houses have a level walkway without stairs to their front door. In fact most don't.

I'm not saying all this to be a Debbie Downer, but know what the job entails. Talk with a driver.

Knowing what I know now I absolutely would've picked a different career. My sanity and health are more important than any amount of money.

Good luck with your decision!

SgtJoo

This would be a difficult decision if I were in your shoes. It's not like you're going to stay at $20/hr for the next 12 years at USPS, right? That's not a bad wage in my opinion.

Just know that if you do get hired on at UPS, as a driver, you will most likely do the worst routes in the center, e.g. the industrial, mall, downtown etc. routes in the biggest trucks. Oh, and how do you like climbing 3 flights of stairs in a mega apartment complex for a couple hours or so or dealing with over 70lb packages? Not all houses have a level walkway without stairs to their front door. In fact most don't.

I'm not saying all this to be a Debbie Downer, but know what the job entails. Talk with a driver.

Knowing what I know now I absolutely would've picked a different career. My sanity and health are more important than any amount of money.

Good luck with your decision!
Definitely.

It's the same at the post office... lowest man on the seniority totem pole gets the 13 mile walking routes in the hood with pit bulls on every corner. I actually don't even have my own route yet, so it's not like it would be a huuuuuuge L, outside of the guaranteed pay raises. We also still do Amazon Sunday deliveries so I know the pain of schlepping bed frames up 3 story apartment complexes haha.

I think one of the biggest things for me is also the benefits. I'm looking at $200 in health insurance premiums every single paycheck (every 2 weeks) at the PO. UPS seems a lot better on that.

Steamer

Coming from driving for USPS for a few years and only just now starting the 1st year of a 12.4 year pay progression to the top step of the career employee contract (currently top step is $35/hr) I was wondering if it's worth cutting my teeth as a handler with the goal of becoming a driver. We load our own trucks at USPS so there's at least some relevant experience... (obviously smaller boxes, smaller trucks)

The benefits seem better but obviously it's way less money. It seems like handler to driver is anywhere from 1-6 years depending on the hub? I'm in a fairly decent mid size city on the east coast (300k population). And driver progression caps out after 4 years? I know they're hiring lots of handlers right now where I am.

Seems like an upgrade from waiting 12 years, even if I have to scrape along the seniority roster for a long time until non PT handler stuff opens up. Although I'll be 30 in August of next year.

Anyone done USPS > UPS? Thoughts?
Life is a gamble. I became a driver after being seasonal twice. But I pushed hard to scratch out daily. Was cordial with management. And volunteered constantly for more work. Now I just work as instructed. Work at a safe pace and follow methods perfectly. So it's short game vs long game when working for this goal. I'm way older than the usual new hire too. So I had to make it look real good.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Coming from driving for USPS for a few years and only just now starting the 1st year of a 12.4 year pay progression to the top step of the career employee contract (currently top step is $35/hr) I was wondering if it's worth cutting my teeth as a handler with the goal of becoming a driver. We load our own trucks at USPS so there's at least some relevant experience... (obviously smaller boxes, smaller trucks)

The benefits seem better but obviously it's way less money. It seems like handler to driver is anywhere from 1-6 years depending on the hub? I'm in a fairly decent mid size city on the east coast (300k population). And driver progression caps out after 4 years? I know they're hiring lots of handlers right now where I am.

Seems like an upgrade from waiting 12 years, even if I have to scrape along the seniority roster for a long time until non PT handler stuff opens up. Although I'll be 30 in August of next year.

Anyone done USPS > UPS? Thoughts?
Stay where you are. It’s a much more difficult job at UPS.

Zowert

Some good advice already offered here but I’ll throw my opinion in.

Stay with USPS for now. Keep applying for a driving position at UPS. It might take a while but I think you’ll get in eventually. We have a lot of off the street hires in package cars these days.

The pay progression for an RPCD is only 4 years, however you will start out as a 22.4 driver. It’s basically the same job but with lower pay. 22.4’s can be utilized inside the building but I have never seen them do anything other than cover routes. The 22.4 has its own 4 year progression and tops out at around $30/hr while RPCD is $38-41 depending on the local. With that in mind, you’re looking at 5-8+ years to reach top rate depending on how long it takes you to win an RPCD bid. This still beats the 12 year scale at USPS.

Keep in mind the work is going to be different. I’m not knocking on USPS drivers, you guys work hard but at UPS you’re going to be worked a lot harder. Irregulars can be up to 150lbs and it’s always the people who live on the 4th floor of an apartment or have 1000 steps up to their front door ordering those. As a 22.4 you won’t have 9.5 protection, meaning you’re going to be the first one forced to work extra hours. You’ll be thrown on the worst routes in the blind as a cover driver starting out. Anyway, if you can handle heavy parcels and 60 (sometimes 70) hour weeks then you’ll be fine at UPS.

Dhydratd

Another thing to think about is the UPS pension plan. I just did the calculations yesterday, and when I retire in a few years at the age of 62, my pension and Social Security for me and my wife will be about 93k/year. Add 3-4K/month payout from our 401-K plans and we will be very comfortable in retirement.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Another thing to think about is the UPS pension plan. I just did the calculations yesterday, and when I retire in a few years at the age of 62, my pension and Social Security for me and my wife will be about 93k/year. Add 3-4K/month payout from our 401-K plans and we will be very comfortable in retirement.
I wouldn't be factoring pension into the decision too heavily for someone starting today.

I have been lurking

Tired hubrat
INFLATION