Completely failed UPS projects

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Well- I like to hear all of your riveting stories of how you helped shape the direction of UPS over the years. I feel like I should thank you for having a job.
I don't think I shaped the direction of UPS over the years.
Not my nature and I was never remotely in a position to 'shape' the direction of UPS over the years.

I would imagine you have never met a UPSer that was in a position to 'shape' the direction of UPS over the years.
Sure the hell ain't anyone in Brown Cafe that did either.

Justaloader

I don't think I shaped the direction of UPS over the years.
Not my nature and I was never remotely in a position to 'shape' the direction of UPS over the years.

I would imagine you have never met a UPSer that was in a position to 'shape' the direction of UPS over the years.
Sure the hell ain't anyone in Brown Cafe that did either.

Rocky Romanella (whom retired from UPS, former President of Retail Operations) was the CEO of the company I work for during the day for a few years. Had many conversations with him during his tenure here. He tried to bring the UPS culture to this place (and brought several of his UPS buddies with him)....some things he did were good, however, the majority of things he did weren't.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Rocky Romanella (whom retired from UPS, former President of Retail Operations) was the CEO of the company I work for during the day for a few years. Had many conversations with him during his tenure here. He tried to bring the UPS culture to this place (and brought several of his UPS buddies with him)....some things he did were good, however, the majority of things he did weren't.
I worked with and around Rocky when he headed the Retail Group within UPS when I was rolling out the customer counter Point Of Sale systems.
He thought a lot of himself ... not your typical UPS manager ... at least in my experience.
He had a hard time dealing with being in Corporate at the District Manager level.
He went from being the biggest fish in the District to being just another fish in Corporate (IMO).

You patted yourself on the back on more than one occasion.
I guess I did it again! LOL

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Stratified Charge was a US Army concept where vehicles could run on anything found lying about. Even animal waste and "other" items. Goes way back to WWI.
UPS brought it forward and did some work, but failed to involve the US Government (Kind of an arrogance like "we're on to something big and want the Rights".
The Energy Crisis of the 1970's flamed out as did the project. Now we have Hybrid's and more!
Vehicles running on our dead parents may not be too far out there.
I wrote a Paper at Paoli on this subject when I was off duty.

Soylent Green!

Retiree

I remember when UPS tried to buy DHL in the late 80's. Deal fell through and we plowed ahead to expand on our own. DHL wanted 900 million and we said no. Then spent billions on world wide expansion. DHL had 82% of the world market outside the U.S. We should have paid the $900 million.