Consumer Cellular

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

After watching their commercial for the umpteenth time, I decided to check out their website. Their plans are very reasonable. The cheapest, which is only $10/month, is a "pay as you go" plan which charges you $.25 for every minute that you are talking on your phone. You can add 300 texts and 30MB of data for only $2.50/month so if you are an infrequent cell phone user you can have service for as little as $20/month (with taxes and fees). The rates increase if you add more prepaid minutes and data up to $90/month for unlimited everything. However, what they don't tell you in the commercials is that you have to buy one of their phones. You can get a flip phone for as low as $35 but if you want a smartphone you are looking at spending at least $80 for an Android and up to $750 for an iPhone 6. They do offer a 5% discount to AARP members.

While I would love to leave Verizon, this does not sound like a viable alternative.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

30 MB of data is nothing. It looks like a scam.

It's not a scam-----it is clearly designed for those who don't spend all day on their phones.

As I read a bit further on their site it turns out that you can use your current phone if you are with AT&T. CC will send you a new SIM card.

My current bill is about $51/month. It was closer to $67 but I decided not to upgrade my phone and they took $15/month off of my bill.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As soon as my kids get off my plan I will have options. One down, 2 to go.

I was torn over this as it was only $10/month to keep each of them on the account; however, I did end up having to buy more data, so it was much more than just $10/month.

My daughter took over her account shortly after she got married.

My son took his over shortly after getting his first "real" job.

I can handle $51/month.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I was torn over this as it was only $10/month to keep each of them on the account; however, I did end up having to buy more data, so it was much more than just $10/month.

My daughter took over her account shortly after she got married.

My son took his over shortly after getting his first "real" job.

I can handle $51/month.
We pay more than that per person.

oldngray

nowhere special
The budget cell companies can be a good deal depending on your location and requirements. They use same towers and frequencies as the big carriers so you can usually keep the same phone and switch to one of them if you get a new SIM card.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The budget cell companies can be a good deal depending on your location and requirements. They use same towers and frequencies as the big carriers so you can usually keep the same phone and switch to one of them if you get a new SIM card.

Did you even bother reading what I had posted?

oldngray

nowhere special
Starting your service with a SIM card is quick and easy. There are no activation fees, and we carry all the available SIM cards. To be compatible, your phone should be either a Consumer Cellular phone, a phone previously used with AT&T, T-Mobile, or an unlocked GSM phone. We cannot guarantee that all non-Consumer Cellular phones will be compatible with our service or that all phone features will work on our network.
https://www.consumercellular.com/Info/PhoneDetails/436/Consumer-Cellular-SIM-Card