convicted felon

helenofcalifornia

Actually, getting one expunged from your record isn't that costly. ($2000)(CA lawyer fees with expungement) My son almost (thank God!) got a felony and the expunge was part of the lawyers fee. Again, depending on how serious the felony is. I would definitely look into it. I think it might have been more difficult in the past, but now a days not so.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
I believe that "Letters of Recommendation" go a long way.
Afterall, it is a person (Judge) making the decision.

I hate to phrase like this....BUT "PROVE that you're rehabilitated".:peaceful:

705red

Browncafe Steward
I believe that "Letters of Recommendation" go a long way.
Afterall, it is a person (Judge) making the decision.

I hate to phrase like this....BUT "PROVE that you're rehabilitated".:peaceful:

How can someone prove it when no one will give them a chance. Would you look at them different if they went back to school and got a degree of some sort? Volunteered in battered woman shelters, hospice or a childs cancer ward?

Even doing all of these its highly unlikely that they could get a fair shake, especially today with so many people looking for emmployment. IMO

fxdwg

Long Time Member
How can someone prove it when no one will give them a chance. Would you look at them different if they went back to school and got a degree of some sort? Volunteered in battered woman shelters, hospice or a childs cancer ward?

Even doing all of these its highly unlikely that they could get a fair shake, especially today with so many people looking for emmployment. IMO

Yes; People like me would.... Hey...a resourceful individual is worth hiring and worth giving a 2nd/3rd....chance to.....

Agree?

705red

Browncafe Steward
Yes; People like me would.... Hey...a resourceful individual is worth hiring and worth giving a 2nd/3rd....chance to.....

Agree?

Its a hard call, in my mind it depends on the charge and the circumstances.

If you commited murder during an act of robbery, not a cahnce.
If you commited murder protecting your family, hell yeah.

But these two convictions if convicted are equal as a felony.

How about a 18 year old boy dating a 16 year old girl and being marked as a sexual predator the rest of his life.
He is now looked at the same as a 40 year old child rapist.

None of these 4 scenarios I spoke of could get hired at UPS or many other companies and while 2 of them should never be out of prison and should see the death penalty the other 2 are scared for life.

Ok now im depressed.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Its a hard call, in my mind it depends on the charge and the circumstances.

We're (I'm) not talking about Extremes.
Huck Foffa to you too. DH!!!!

705red

Browncafe Steward
A felony is a felony, what are you talking about? Dont foget to vote for whoever is running against Hoffa in the next election! AW!

Just Lurking

Having your record expunged does not help under new homeland security rules. Any company that TSA has jurisdiction over can view any records even expunged.

I attended a regional grievance panel where the company terminated an employee over falsifying their employment application by denying felon conviction. The member had been employed for seven years with no problems but got caught up in a theft investigation. The company pulled records for all employees in a work area and the expunged record came back.

JonFrum

Having your record expunged does not help under new homeland security rules. Any company that TSA has jurisdiction over can view any records even expunged.

I attended a regional grievance panel where the company terminated an employee over falsifying their employment application by denying felon conviction. The member had been employed for seven years with no problems but got caught up in a theft investigation. The company pulled records for all employees in a work area and the expunged record came back.
How does UPS have access to expunged felony conviction records???

satellitedriver

Does it really matter?

Yes, it does.
June, 1973. If an 18yr old was busted with a half smoked joint it was a felony with the penalty of 2yrs to 20yrs hard time.
August, 1973. Texas changed the law that possession of up to 4 ounces of marijuana was now a misdemeanor.
The previous convictions were not grandfathered.
So, it could matter.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
A felony is a felony, what are you talking about? Dont foget to vote for whoever is running against Hoffa in the next election! AW!

You seem to be back and forth on your opinion.
I said "Give him a Chance" and you originally agreed. I understand the Huck Foffa thing now; I thought it was something else:peaceful:

helenofcalifornia

So if you got married, had it annulled, and legally it would be considered as to never happening, except....for TSA. When is done , done? When is it finally considered over, done with, forgotten, put to rest? Seems like TSA is getting a little too nosy for me if they can go back and legally un-expunge legal records.

705red

Browncafe Steward
You seem to be back and forth on your opinion.
I said "Give him a Chance" and you originally agreed. I understand the Huck Foffa thing now; I thought it was something else:peaceful:

Im all about 2nd chances in life for those that deserve it. And after thinking I dont think someone that murdered someone during a hold up should get a 2nd chance.

But we have no way to decipher whats what because a felony is a felony.

I wasnt trying to be an ass with you, its just the more I think about it it does get clouded.

P

pickup

How does UPS have access to expunged felony conviction records???

I can think of an answer. Criminal records are for the most part , public records. Nowadays, they are mostly computerized. There are companies out there that download these records every month. So in the case of a felony that is eventually expunged: from the time of conviction to the time of expungement , that info is public record and these companies are taking monthly "snapshot"s of what is public record.

So when the record is expunged, the "snapshots" still exist. True, for all intents and purposes, the record can no longer currently be accessed but when the records of what was once a felony conviction are available via these "snapshots" through private companies which generally contract with Human Resources Departments to provide criminal backgrounds of prospective clients.

Something very similar happens with department of motor vehicle abstracts. New York State, for example, has been selling, for many years, the information of its residents who have driver licenses to private data companies who take monthly snapshots of driving abstracts. So , you might have had a\ 3 accidents and 3 moving violations in your private car 4 years ago and the accidents and violations have "fallen" off your abstract. You go apply for a driving job somewhere and the company you are applying to asks on the application " have you had any accidents or moving violations in the last 5 years?" You confidently answer "no" thinking that if they obtain your abstract, these things will no longer appear on your abstract. And that is true, but if the company you are applying to avails itself of the services of these data mining companies (who have these incriminating "snapshots" in their files), you will be found out.

Last edited by a moderator:

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Im all about 2nd chances in life for those that deserve it. And after thinking I dont think someone that murdered someone during a hold up should get a 2nd chance.

But we have no way to decipher whats what because a felony is a felony.

I wasnt trying to be an ass with you, its just the more I think about it it does get clouded.

Cool. I wasn't being an ass either!:peaceful:

browniehound

It might depend on the offense. If it is theft or drug related, I doubt it. Just don't falsify you application, what ever you do.

I don't get it? If the felony is not theft or drug related? This reduces the options to sex crimes and sex crimes against children.

Are you saying UPS will hire you if you molest your daughter but won't if you get arrested for shoplifting?

P

pickup

I don't get it? If the felony is not theft or drug related? This reduces the options to sex crimes and sex crimes against children.

How about Murder? How about Assault? These two and a few other felonies don't fall into any of these categories.