Corporate Recklessness

tieguy

Banned
The congressional hearings brought to light the fact that BP executives consistently ignored their own employees warnings as well as their own studies that showed a high safety risk prior to drilling. Safety and integrity came at the expense of bottom line profit. This mentality starts at the top. One thing I did take out of watching the hearings was that they did not blame their employees. But touche, it would be wise to wait the many years to see the extent of the damage and wait until all the facts come out.

The congressional hearings were nothing more then grandstanding and innuendo as congressman actually played to the anger over the oil spill. Only a sucker would actually think those hearing accomplished anything. Any you guys interested in buying a bridge. I got one I'll sell you real cheap.

Braveheart

god if you only had a brain. Waaaah you're blaming the workers. I love your use of that word it has old world communistic conotations to its usage.

I stand by my point they dont know what caused the accident. if you want to talk about what has been reported then don't forget to mention all the safety awards BP recieved including one that was personally given them by Obama. So again until this thing is thoroughly investigated anything is possible.

My personal feeling is when it is finally investigated that both BP and the workers will be blamed for what happened.

Typical manager.

Attacks others, name calling, questions your IQ and patriotism.

You act like a 5 year old.

You in fact accused them and or implied that they did something to cost them their lives. Your later post at least gives some accounability to BP so much improved.

11 people lost their lives. Maybe those 11 people gave their lives so that others could escape. Heroes if you ask me but not you no not you.

The employees work with what they are given. They use the tools and parts that are supplied to them by BP, Transocean and Haliburton. They work as instructed.

I highly doubt that they said screw the safety protocal boys, drill baby drill.

I am all for offshore drilling. I just think 19.5 billion in profit with extra money going to any and all safety protocal vs 20 billion and oh I don't know the worst oil spill in history sounds much better.

So drill all you want. Just spend the extra money and drill smart and safe.

fxdwg

Long Time Member
At this moment, I edorse SLOW THE LEAK.

Unless we can stuff some people's heads into the pipe at this moment.............Give me a break. Who is directing this all?

I will not read some link; SLOW THE LEAK.

Now we have the USCG worried about their liability..........OBAMA!!!! Grow a pair and "kick some butt" (his quote)

Last edited by a moderator:

klein

Für Meno :)
Klein, How can you sit by and watch the Gulf Coast being destroyed?

Hey, people like AV8 think the anthrax letters at the post offices was a larger disaster.

But seriously, looks like they are doing a good job skimming it, and burning it up. But it only works on calm days.
I sure wouldn't buy BP shares. I think they will go bk over this. This is larger then we even know yet.

One of those things that just can't be changed, and is basically already written in the history books.

Nothing you can do.
But hope, it doesn't come down as toxic rain, like some websites say.
Because that will destroy half of the US, and even the Caribbean Islands. Now, that's scary !

fxdwg

Long Time Member
Hey, people like AV8 think the anthrax letters at the post offices was a larger disaster.

But seriously, looks like they are doing a good job skimming it, and burning it up. But it only works on calm days.
I sure wouldn't buy BP shares. I think they will go bk over this. This is larger then we even know yet.

One of those things that just can't be changed, and is basically already written in the history books.

Nothing you can do.
But hope, it doesn't come down as toxic rain, like some websites say.
Because that will destroy half of the US, and even the Caribbean Islands. Now, that's scary !

You can't get away that easy!!

What should be done!!!! NOW!!!

upssup

As a person of the older generation, i think it is now safe to say that logic is a thing of the past, along with basic etiquette. Unfortunately I think that I failed in passing on some of the simple things that people should do. Things such as stop and think before you do, and if you do something before you think, take responsibility for your mistakes. Now it is all about who can hire the slickest lawyer to get them out of trouble. I would never have thought about doing some of the things that people do today. To "factor in" the ecological damage that BP has caused, and then to sleep at night! Not me, maybe times have changed but it is shameful.

Blizzard

Typical manager.

Attacks others, name calling, questions your IQ and patriotism.

You act like a 5 year old.

You in fact accused them and or implied that they did something to cost them their lives. Your later post at least gives some accounability to BP so much improved.

11 people lost their lives. Maybe those 11 people gave their lives so that others could escape. Heroes if you ask me but not you no not you.

The employees work with what they are given. They use the tools and parts that are supplied to them by BP, Transocean and Haliburton. They work as instructed.

I highly doubt that they said screw the safety protocal boys, drill baby drill.

I am all for offshore drilling. I just think 19.5 billion in profit with extra money going to any and all safety protocal vs 20 billion and oh I don't know the worst oil spill in history sounds much better.

So drill all you want. Just spend the extra money and drill smart and safe.

chill pill time

klein

Für Meno :)
As a person of the older generation, i think it is now safe to say that logic is a thing of the past, along with basic etiquette. Unfortunately I think that I failed in passing on some of the simple things that people should do. Things such as stop and think before you do, and if you do something before you think, take responsibility for your mistakes. Now it is all about who can hire the slickest lawyer to get them out of trouble. I would never have thought about doing some of the things that people do today. To "factor in" the ecological damage that BP has caused, and then to sleep at night! Not me, maybe times have changed but it is shameful.

You said that well !

If you watched that link to 60 minutes, then even Transocean told BP to stop, and they argued, and unfortuntaly BP won that one. !!!

Blizzard

You said that well !

If you watched that link to 60 minutes, then even Transocean told BP to stop, and they argued, and unfortuntaly BP won that one. !!!

I'm sure there will be a lot of finger pointing and blame deflection with this one. I'm not sure who to believe.

at this point transocean would be the bag holder, I would expect they would try to throw blame elsewhere. No one wants to eat the cost of this nightmare.

bluehdmc

The spill was caused by a number of factors, pressure was on the BP engineers. The drill rig was supposed to be someplace else 2 months earlier. Drilling got held up by a hurricane or tropical storm last Oct, and I think BP was paying a penalty. Then when it came time to fill the shaft with cement, sea water was used instead of heavier drilling mud. Then if I recall something was inoperative on the blowout preventer.
Sorta the "for lack of a nail a shoe was lost, for lack of a shoe a horse was lost, for lack of a horse a king was lost, for lack of a king a kingdom was lost", sort of thing.
A worse case scenario happened, I would say mainly because people were in a hurry, and corners were cut to speed up the process. These sort of corporate decisions happen all the time. A plane crashed in Fla because oxygen generators were being shipped on the plane, (and weren't supposed to be). Ford Pinto gas tanks exploded, Ford was aware of the problem but made a monetary decision not to change the design. (I think this was based on lawsuit cost for loss of life vs. engineering costs to change design).

PE Poop

Banned
I was going home today and had to stop to get gas. I saw a pe supervisor fueling his car in another lane. To my horror the supervisor did not shake the gaz nozzle before removing it from the gas feed thus spilling many drops of gas onto the pavement. The BP oil spill clearly pales in comparison to this gross act of carelessness displayed by this supervisor.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I was going home today and had to stop to get gas. I saw a pe supervisor fueling his car in another lane. To my horror the supervisor did not shake the gaz nozzle before removing it from the gas feed thus spilling many drops of gas onto the pavement. The BP oil spill clearly pales in comparison to this gross act of carelessness displayed by this supervisor.

Come to think of it, I did not shake my hose today either.

browned out

Does anybody here draw a parallel between the BP oil spill and UPS? Undeniably, there was an elevation of profit over individual and collective safety. It seems as if multi-national corporations like the ascribed factor in accidents like these into their profit reports.
What strikes me the most is that there is no check against their power or will. To me it seems that the congressional hearings explicitly expose that business controls government. I now feel that individual lawsuits are the only check against corporate america.

Correct. Do you think a company as big and smart as ups doesn't figure out the possible ramifications of new policies like moving the weight limit to 150lbs? Cost of drivers being injured and disabled vs. profit from these packages? They do and they have.

Runners and gunners and the possibility of injuries to the public?

The number crunchers know.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
I now feel that individual lawsuits are the only check against corporate america.

Who has the money individually to go after big corporations with deep pockets like BP,UPS, etc...?

Class action lawsuits and legal/resource backing from environmental groups will end up making BP compensate these families with an unprecedented decision. But It doesn't stop there, criminal charges will follow if safety was compromised.

Who has the money individually to go after big corporations with deep pockets like BP,UPS, etc...?

Class action lawsuits and legal/resource backing from environmental groups will end up making BP compensate these families with an unprecedented decision. But It doesn't stop there, criminal charges will follow if safety was compromised.

What are you kidding? There are labor/employment attorneys that would LOVE to hang a case on a massive company like UPS. Throw in a worthwhile cause and case and they'll probably do it pro bono.

browned out

Here is a link that lists the "workers' on that rig. Keep in mind these are not coal miners trapped in a tunnel but a mix of experienced drillers and engineers that died on this platform. The idea that BP ( actually transocean owned the rig) took life threatening shortcuts may be belittling the intelligence of these "workers" who would and should have known better. Again its possible that these workers had some type of problem that escalated and rather then evacuating tried to stay with the rig.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/04/gulf-oil-rig-workers-fami_n_562239.html

Are you some kind of clown? It has been widely stated that Trans Ocean recommended more safety backups and BP said screw it we will go with we have now>