Cost of Living raise?

tunemixer

Somebody mentioned this a few posts back. Just for the hell of it ask the people you deliver to and pick up from how much their last raise was. Or ask them when it was. Ask them what their benefifts include.
Getting a .35 cts may seem like a kick in the butt to some of you but for me it all helps. And youknow what. If I was told I wan't getting a raise this year that would be ok with me too. As long as I still have my job.
I am a lot older then many of you. Many of you came right off the street and have never really done anything else fulltime for any length of time.
I have been around the block. I have worked in retail, wholesale. I sold cars for over 5 years. I have worked at IBM for 2 years. I did a bunch of jobs before I was lucky enough to land my UPS driving job. I know what its like to do something other then deliver packages.
Do we work hard for our money? Of course we do.But don't you think the people on the outside work hard too? And do it for a lot less. I wonder what their pension will be when they retire? Hmmm. Chances are they don't have one. I have just about 17 months left. I will collect almost 4100.00 a month and I will collect about 1500.00 a month SS . I'd say thats pretty damn goo for a guy that has a HS education. Oh and because I will be 62 when I retire. I will get my benefits paid for until I'm 65. My wifes will be at a reduced rate because she is younger than me.
Cost of living raise? Yeah would be nice.A raise of .35cts? Not alot but I'll take it.
Oh yeah something else. I'm on the first week of my vacation. One of many I get. Think those people at the farm supply company get as much time off as you? I doubt they get two weeks a year.
Figure that into what you are getting. I think if you look at the overall picture you'll see this ain't such a bad gig.
UPS is in business to make money. If they weren't making money we wouldn't have what we have.We may not even have a job.
Just remind yourself every once in a while it could be a whole hell of a lot worse.
I've been through a layoff. I've been through a plant closing. My wife wife pregnant and I had just bought a house when I got a notice the plant I was working at was closing. I was 34 years old. We were scared to death. I put in an application at UPS and about 5 months later I got the call.That was the beginning of my career. That call changed my life.
Instead of complaing about what you aren't getting. Think about what you are.
How many of you are driving a nice car or truck? Have a nice house? Many a few toys? Take that nice vacation once a year? Think you would have most of that working somewhere else?
My suggestion to you is. Go into work knowing you are much better off than many. Be happy for what you have. Don't go to work with a chip on your shoulder. Its a hard enough job to do with a clear mind. Clogging it up will only make the job that much tougher.
I'm sorry to sound like I'm standing on a soapbox preaching. But I guess I appreicate what I have.

U

union man

I will tell you the true story on the cola but I think it is a bunch of crap but it is what it is. The cola has always been left out of the contract for the first year. It was this way in 1997 and 2002. Every year after the first year we have a cola but not the first because the union should have known the cola and made sure we got a proper wage increase. No cola this year maybe next.Sorry

daiku

COLAS are based on what was agreed to in the contract. Whatever the amount could be UPS will have to pay if the COLA numbers make them. UPS will NOT pay though and it will have to go through grievance etc.

It is a reality. I could care less what the economy is. If we were in a boom economy we would have had a rockstar contract..... Although we got screwed in the last contract it is what it is.

If we fall into getting a COLA I earned it due to my contract....

LuvWV

The new contract says there is no 2008 cost of living raise. There will be one in 2009 and every year there after. The regular raise is
2008 seventy cents ($0.70)
2009 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2010 seventy-five cents ($0.75)
2011 eighty-five cents ($0.85)
2012 ninety-five cents ($0.95)
Since we didn't get it in Feb. Do we get it all in AUg. It says .70 for 2008??????????

BigBrownSanta

I wonder, did this year's shipping rates get postponed until next year? Did this year's shipping rate increase get raised by half in August and the second half raised next February? Will the fuel surcharges kick in next year?

I didn't think so.

Can we postpone our gas or grocery purchases until next year... until after we get the COLA raise? ...if we get a COLA raise next year.

The biggest enemy to us is ourselves. Be content with what you get? The greatest value a dollar will have is today not a year from now. Tell your doctor you want to postpone your copay until next year and see if they'll let you in to be seen today.

Every year, the value of your hourly rate gets eroded and you just sit back and allow it.