Cost Of Living Raise

govols019

You smell that?
I don’t care about what might have happened,the government needs to stay out of bailing out private companies with tax payer money.....period

Since the government was involved in causing our pension crisis, it stands to reason they should be involved in solving the problem.

Educate yourself.

rod

Retired 22 years
Lumber prices are crazy right now. I bought 6x6 treated posts 6 months ago for $58 each. They are $108 now. Funny thing is, timber prices are super low. Landowners get nothing to have theirs cut.
I saw a show on tv the other day that explained who is getting rich off of high lumber prices. Surprisingly it wasn't Home Depot or Lowes or any of a dozen the other entities who deal with timber. The bottom line is there are only 4 LARGE companies that are raking in billions of dollars in profit from high lumber prices. They are the 4 top lumber companies in America. Werehauser, Georgia Pacific and 2 more I can't think of right now.

charm299

I saw a show on tv the other day that explained who is getting rich off of high lumber prices. Surprisingly it wasn't Home Depot or Lowes or any of a dozen the other entities who deal with timber. The bottom line is there are only 4 LARGE companies that are raking in billions of dollars in profit from high lumber prices. They are the 4 top lumber companies in America. Werehauser, Georgia Pacific and 2 more I can't think of right now.
The other 2 are Walmart and amazon

R. Mutt

"You're not my supervisor!"
So, we won't know until next month, but, from my understanding of the contract, we should most likely be guaranteed a COLA raise this year.

Of 5¢ an hour.

Article 33 maintains that we receive a 1¢/hour raise for every 0.2% increase in the difference between the "Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers" or CPI-W Index from May of the previous year to May of the current year--AFTER factoring in a base increase of 3%--and ONLY applicable if the raise is greater than or equal to 5¢. This means that the article is only really relevant if we have a minimum of 4% inflation or greater (as measured by the aforementioned "Index") in any year between May and May, which hasn't happened for quite a while.

I went ahead and checked the Department of Labor's website and from a quick run of their site's calculator between April and April we should hit 4% inflation and trigger the nickel raise.

tl;dr: Even with Article 33 being as awful as it is inflation is bad enough for it to actually kick in.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210512-215739_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210512-215739_Chrome.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 74

meritocracy

So, we won't know until next month, but, from my understanding of the contract, we should most likely be guaranteed a COLA raise this year.

Of 5¢ an hour.

Article 33 maintains that we receive a 1¢/hour raise for every 0.2% increase in the difference between the "Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers" or CPI-W Index from May of the previous year to May of the current year--AFTER factoring in a base increase of 3%--and ONLY applicable if the raise is greater than or equal to 5¢. This means that the article is only really relevant if we have a minimum of 4% inflation or greater (as measured by the aforementioned "Index") in any year between May and May, which hasn't happened for quite a while.

I went ahead and checked the Department of Labor's website and from a quick run of their site's calculator between April and April we should hit 4% inflation and trigger the nickel raise.

tl;dr: Even with Article 33 being as awful as it is inflation is bad enough for it to actually kick in.
Here's a helpful chart:

4.69% as of April 2021. We should get the May 2021 % increase data in a couple of weeks. If the trend holds, we'll get at least a $0.08/hr COLA.

Last edited:

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Of 5¢ an hour.

How does our cola deal compare to other unions?

FAVREFAN

Of 5¢ an hour.

Good info, thanks.

FAVREFAN

Here's a helpful chart:

4.69% as of April 2021. We should get the May 2021 % increase data in a couple of weeks. If the trend holds, we'll get at least a $0.08/hr COLA.
Great info, thanks.