Costco Spat with Coke goes public

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
The rivalry between Coke and Pepsi has the same status as the rivalry between UPS and Fedex. Its two (well..four) of the most recognized brands in the U.S.A..
I would have to say that they are probably 4 of the most recognized brands in the world. Wouldn't you agree?

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
I forgot Full Throttle was sold to CCE. They are trying to sell it off.

Coke Altanta is trying to get greater distribution rights with Hansen Beverage for Monster Energy.

Currently, Monster partners with Bud for on premise sites and some distribution in a few markets.

I don't know about Barq's. I do know a few Coke Bottler's choose to carry the Coca-Cola house brand Fanta along with Fanta Root Beer. Other's carry A&W. Pepsico owns Mug.

And working for the bottler has changed. The fill line is almost 100% non production for employees. Krones and Rockwell pretty ended those jobs.

Chemistry majors are in demand by the soft drink industry and they are well paid.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Costco was in my Hub trying to sell memberships about a month ago. I didn't buy one since they don't have a store near my house. I'm glad now, no way I would go into one and buy a cheap imitation of "The Real Thing". Price fixing is nothing new, companies like Walmart force its venders to drop prices all the time or they won't carry their products.

Last edited:

tieguy

Banned
No offense to you AJ.
But, I wasn't talking about distribution.

I worked in fluid plants for over 28 years (bottling).

Don't forget to add this to your timeline.

we have you living in germany and canada and sometimes florida.

going to economics school

owning a small retail business

daytrading

driving for ups

28 years of bottling ?

This is getting interesting.

120 years of work and school experience?

tieguy

Banned
Costco was in my Hub trying to sell memberships about a month ago. I didn't buy one since they don't have a store near my house. I'm glad now, no way I would go into one an buy a cheap imitation of "The Real Thing". Price fixing is nothing new, companies like Walmart force is venders to drop prices all the time or they won't carry their products.

Scratch I understand Costcos position. They can't sell the memberships if they don't offer the products at good prices.

They are a union shop, no comparison to wal- mart.

P

pickup

daytrading

driving for ups

28 years of bottling ?

He does have a point, Mr. Klein. Columbo is on your case.

DS

Fenderbender
Costco customers may have to look elsewhere

I tried to post this in the current events forum but it wouldn't let me. Said something about not having privilege's. Maybe one of you MOD's can fix this problem?
Man.I have no idea how to fix this.In fact,I had no idea how useless I am until I tried.I can change your signature,your avatar or ban you,and I have no desire to do any of the above.If anything,you should have all the priviliges.You seem to be the guy that we all envy,with a diiferent,healthier kind of six pack than most of us.Ill let Cheryl know.

klein

Für Meno :)

daytrading

driving for ups

28 years of bottling ?

I never lived in Florida, I spent a 5 week vacation there before, thats it.
daytrading while I was working nights at the dairy. I also had my own website selling computers online.
I was doing well. Actually , too well, that I quit my fulltime job at the dairy.
Then the bubble bursted.
And my brother 180 miles away in Edmonton (thats why I'm here now), instead of Calgary.
Had this idea, of us joining together and having a small convience store.
So, at that time, with stocks going down the drain and web selling going down the drain, I agreed to invest money and start a business.
That didn't go well either. He was a very bad business partner.
The worst you could imagine. I never thought any one could be as lazy as he was.
I walked out, lost over 20K on that, but had my feedom back.

Then I got into sameday courier.
But, that didn't pay well, so, I went back into the dairy, what pays good, and what I know best. (already with 22 years experince at the time).
Got another 6years here at Lucerne Milk in Edmonton.
But shiftwork takes a toll. UPS was right accross the street, with a big billboard up, HIRING.
Thought, that would be neat... no more night work, no more weekends.
Money wasn't a factor anymore.
Willing to work for less, for decent hrs...

And, this is where I stand now.

wkmac

I worked in fluid plants for over 28 years

That's why you drink so much beer. Gotta have something to run through those pipes to test for....wait for it.....here it comes...LEAKS!

:wink2:

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Hmmmm! Speaking of. But mine's from coffee!
:happy-very:

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
I love Costco!

We've been shopping there for years hard to beat their prices. Constantly changing a percentage of their merchandise so you never know what you might find. From their fine selection of meats and wines, to the Designer clothing, plants and exotic food to their electronics, appliances, furniture, tools and books... and all this usually priced lower than anywhere else...

Great for the consumer!!:happy2:

Who needs coke...Did you know that their Kirkland brand vodka is the same as Grey Goose or distilled the same and is really smooth for about half the price of Grey Goose, here in California, $27.99 a bottle. :happy-very:

wkmac

Hey Tony,

A question on a point of order. Normally people post stuff that causes problems and then you guys have to intervene but I'd like to try something different. I'd like to seek permission first and maybe save the uproar in the first place. You see, Klein said he worked at a dairy and I'm dying to ask if it was his job to milk the bulls. Would that be going to far if I did so?

I'd like an official ruling if I may from the course marshall!

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
Hey Tony,

A question on a point of order. Normally people post stuff that causes problems and then you guys have to intervene but I'd like to try something different. I'd like to seek permission first and maybe save the uproar in the first place. You see, Klein said he worked at a dairy and I'm dying to ask if it was his job to milk the bulls. Would that be going to far if I did so?

I'd like an official ruling if I may from the course marshall!

Personally the only guideline I can think of at this time would be to refrain from any video or pictures of activities related to your question..:funny:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
You see, Klein said he worked at a dairy and I'm dying to ask if it was his job to milk the bulls. Would that be going to far if I did so?

Maybe that is why he quit the dairy and went across the street to UPS!

I had thought about joining Costco at one time, but there is not a store near my house. I can't stand Walmart or Sams because of their lousy service. Plus I got my second hernia delivering to one, maybe that might have something to do with it.

klein

I love Costco!

We've been shopping there for years hard to beat their prices. Constantly changing a percentage of their merchandise so you never know what you might find. From their fine selection of meats and wines, to the Designer clothing, plants and exotic food to their electronics, appliances, furniture, tools and books... and all this usually priced lower than anywhere else...

Great for the consumer!!:happy2:

Who needs coke...Did you know that their Kirkland brand vodka is the same as Grey Goose or distilled the same and is really smooth for about half the price of Grey Goose, here in California, $27.99 a bottle. :happy-very:

Costco%20Vodka.jpg

No booze here in Canada at grocery stores at all.
It's prohbited, for some odd, unknown reason.

Likor is only sold in seperate buildings here, that can't sell anything else, besides mix (such as coke or oj etc), but not even smokes or a bag of chips.
Still, very much restricted here. But not as bad as the early days we once had.
No likor sales Sundays period, not even bars could be open.
And before the early 70's, bars were divided with 2 different entrances.
One for males, other females.
You couldn't go in as a couple and drink together.

And, if you bought beer at a likor store, you had to keep the receipt, and head directly home.

(my dad got caught - bought beer and went to a friends place instead).
His beer got conviscated, and he had to pay a huge fine.

It loosend up since then. But beer in a grocery store or gas station, nope, don't have that , yet.

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
Pssst

Costco is also union with awesome wages. I'll take the Costco side.

Pepsi will fill the shelves. And since Costco is large enough, they can even start a house brand soft drink to combat price fixing by coke.

d

I am with dannyboy on this, Costco is great.

They follow the belief that the customer comes first, then the employees, and then the shareholders. Maybe that's why they are so successful.

When it comes to drinks, I love diet vanilla cola and diet ice tea. I prefer diet Pepsi vanilla and diet Lipton, both of which, ironically, are not carried by Costco :dissapointed:.

klein

I am with dannyboy on this, Costco is great.

They follow the belief that the customer comes first, then the employees, and then the shareholders. Maybe that's why they are so successful.

When it comes to drinks, I love diet vanilla cola and diet ice tea. I prefer diet Pepsi vanilla and diet Lipton, both of which, ironically, are not carried by Costco :dissapointed:.

Are you joking ?
Costco is the worst in customer service, atleast this city it is.
Long line ups, even if the store is empty.
(they will get cashiers to do other things)...

Most awlful place I have ever shopped at.

Could be different where you reside.
But, here, they are terrible.

rod

Retired 22 years

daytrading

driving for ups

28 years of bottling ?

Johnny Cash - I've Been Everywhere

Hank Snow - I've Been Everywhere