Couldn't believe my eyes!!

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
While I agree with you on dock etiquette. If anyone moved my truck I would call the local PD to report the incident just in case any damage or vandalism was done by the dock god.

If you leave your truck unattended at a busy dock where others are waiting, it gets moved.

HomeDelivery

While I agree with you on dock etiquette. If anyone moved my truck I would call the local PD to report the incident just in case any damage or vandalism was done by the dock god.

or just pull the keys out of the ignition... get one of those carabiners or D-rings
xuzhou$531125222.jpg
and stick that on your belt-loop or pocket those keys when you're unloading :tiesmiley:
xuzhou$531125222.jpg

SmithBarney

I've been instructed to Call Corporate Security if I ever see a unoccupied FedEx (including Ground) vehicle which is Unsecured, or Running.

Also a Ground driver near us was recently ticketed for leaving his vehicle running while double parked, I came out of my stop and the Police man
approached me furious, as he'd been waiting 15 minutes for "me" to return... I said sorry that's not my truck, as I pointed to my sprinter over in the parking lot..

While contractors might argue they are "independent" they are still contractually required to protect the freight from theft damage etc... which includes SECURING the vehicle.

overflowed

I've been instructed to Call Corporate Security if I ever see a unoccupied FedEx (including Ground) vehicle which is Unsecured, or Running.

Also a Ground driver near us was recently ticketed for leaving his vehicle running while double parked, I came out of my stop and the Police man
approached me furious, as he'd been waiting 15 minutes for "me" to return... I said sorry that's not my truck, as I pointed to my sprinter over in the parking lot..

While contractors might argue they are "independent" they are still contractually required to protect the freight from theft damage etc... which includes SECURING the vehicle.
True. The thing that weirds me out about this is that there is no logical reason to let a truck run while you are away from it. Is this a contractor urban legend that they tell their helpers so it saves the starter or some silliness? I can't comprehend how a delivery driver decides that it's in their best interest to leave a truck full of freight running. This goes against common sense. Also why I think for some reason this is a learned behavior. It's not coincidence that we see a majority of ground drivers do this. I guarantee they don't leave their cars running when they go to the market.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
True. The thing that weirds me out about this is that there is no logical reason to let a truck run while you are away from it. Is this a contractor urban legend that they tell their helpers so it saves the starter or some silliness? I can't comprehend how a delivery driver decides that it's in their best interest to leave a truck full of freight running. This goes against common sense. Also why I think for some reason this is a learned behavior. It's not coincidence that we see a majority of ground drivers do this. I guarantee they don't leave their cars running when they go to the market.

I'm seeing Express drivers leave their vehicles running now too. I recently had a meet-up with a shuttle bring out late freight and the PT courier was standing outside his truck while it idled. I asked him "what do you think would happen if I had a manager with me?". I guess they don't stress this in training any more.

Code 82 Approved

Titanium Plus+ Level Member with benefits!

Security did get in my truck. It was the last time too. He found himself upside down out the walkout door on the pavement.

MAKAVELI

Security did get in my truck. It was the last time too. He found himself upside down out the walkout door on the pavement.
Give me a break. Security would have you by the balls. Go try telling your bull to a ten year old, cause they probably would be the only ones to believe it.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Assaulting a fellow employee is grounds for termination, especially one from Corporate Security, who would dutifully be wearing their little ID badge. Anyone I have ever known who assaulted another employee (even if the other person started it) got terminated.

overflowed

This happened today. So I know it's weird to quote myself, but I asked the ground driver that was choking me to death on the dock with his running truck why the hell was it running while he was in the warehouse. Looked a little embarrassed and sheepishly said" we have to pay for our starters." No bull. I almost started laughing in his face thinking of this old thread. Did it when he left. If I see him tomorrow I'll ask him who taught him that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This happened today. So I know it's weird to quote myself, but I asked the ground driver that was choking me to death on the dock with his running truck why the hell was it running while he was in the warehouse. Looked a little embarrassed and sheepishly said" we have to pay for our starters." No bull. I almost started laughing in his face thinking of this old thread. Did it when he left. If I see him tomorrow I'll ask him who taught him that.

The ISP probably bills them for items that can wear-out more quickly if the driver abuses them, like starters, tires, brakes, etc. As dumb and unqualified as most Ground drivers seems to be, I can actually see some of them falling for this BS. Pretty soon, they're getting their pay docked for worn-out seats, steering wheel covers, brake pads etc. There is nothing to keep an unethical ISP from pulling a stunt like this, and little recourse for the driver except to quit.

The best way to cure this is for all of us to video these trucks running (without showing asset numbers), and start posting them up to YouTube. Better yet, hop-in, and drive it around the corner and see what happens. Sooner or later, someone is going to just drive one off, toss all the packages into a waiting vehicle, and then leave the Ground truck (still running) for the police to find.

barnyard

KTM rider
Rather than move a truck, which could put a person in legal trouble, you could pull the keys, toss them on a shelf and shut the bulkhead door.

Goldilocks

We had girl who worked for Express that left her truck running and doors open at a school. When she came back out to her truck, there stood a SM from another station. We could not believe they did not fire her.