countdown traffic signals

DS

Fenderbender
They have recently started to replace most old traffic signals with these new ones that count down to the amber light.
I love them because there is no guessing as to when the light will turn from green to amber.Its great for pedestrians and bicycles and truck drivers.Now those morons in dump trucks have no excuse to blow through intersections.
The larger intersections start at 18 and count down,the smaller ones start at 12.Apparently the cost and maintenance are very low because they use low voltage led lights...heres a link that explains it better.
http://spacing.ca/wire/?p=2393

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I wish we had something like this. Where I work at, I am having problems with the new stoplights with cameras they are putting up in some intersections. They shortened the caution time before the yellow changes to red. I have had the flash go off a few times, but have not gotten a ticket so far. It used to be that I would pull out in the intersection in heavy traffic to make a left turn. I can't do that now, I would get ticketed for running a light if I am caught anywhere in the intersection.

outamyway

They have those all over Henderson but very few in Las Vegas(at least our center's area of it) So I don't see them much anymore.

I wouldn't be to hasty to rely on it. I have seen a few where the light does NOT change when the count down reaches zero. Same with the standard ones, the light doesn't always change when the light stops blinking.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Here in Upstate NY, they are installing traffic Circles, I have seen more accidents now this year than all the other years combined.....

HazMatMan

Here in Upstate NY, they are installing traffic Circles, I have seen more accidents now this year than all the other years combined.....
I read somewhere traffic circles are more safer. I go through one every day and have had many a close call because idiots try to turn off in the outer lane or seems they don't know that yield means they have to let you go before they enter the circle.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Feeder, we have a rotary in Plattsburgh--it is like watching the Keystone Kops.

The rotary in Latham can also be interesting.

We are getting more and more of them here. Even in our little 'burb. I have one on my rte and it is a constant frustration because alot of people don't know how to travel in them. I have had plenty a close call in them. I actually like them though. For the most part traffic flows pretty smoothly.

no more than 9

"Livin' the Dream"
Here in Mass a rotary(roundabout) is a everyday fact of life. Just wish drivers would understand who has the right of way.But it doesn't matter, we should never assume the right of way.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here in Mass a rotary(roundabout) is a everyday fact of life. Just wish drivers would understand who has the right of way.But it doesn't matter, we should never assume the right of way.

Rotaries tend to benefit the more aggressive driver over the more timid drivers. We just had a rotary installed and we have drivers that will sit there and sit there and...while we have drivers who think that they own the road and blow right through it. You definitely have to have your head on a swivel.

I grew up in Rhode Island and then spent some time in Mass and was curious--I heard that they have removed the rotary just before you head out to Cape Cod. Is that true? That rotary was never boring as you really didn't know what the other guy was going to do.

SmithBarney

Rotaries are great, like a chicane if you time it right... ;) Except you could lose half
your load.

The count down timers around here, would just turn into a drag race to make it through
the light in time...

IDoLessWorkThanMost

Rotaries tend to benefit the more aggressive driver over the more timid drivers. We just had a rotary installed and we have drivers that will sit there and sit there and...while we have drivers who think that they own the road and blow right through it. You definitely have to have your head on a swivel.

I grew up in Rhode Island and then spent some time in Mass and was curious--I heard that they have removed the rotary just before you head out to Cape Cod. Is that true? That rotary was never boring as you really didn't know what the other guy was going to do.

The rotaries are still there. Sagamore and Bourne.