Cover driver pay and position

I started in warehouse as preload in pay of 2020 and was moved to cover driver in June of 2021. I was told that i would earn holiday pay and such at full time cover driver rate once I hit a year of driving, which would have been in jume of 2022. I was sick with COVID at the end of dec 2022 and applied for the COVID relief pay during my time off. Or emergency paid leave. I was paid compensation at my preload rate for 4 hours daily vs my cover driver rate for 8 hrs, which is what I understood I was now entitled to. Im realizing my holidays have all also been payed out at 4 hrs at 16.50 (preloader rate) I was told by my local HR that I’m still considered part time as a cover driver, even though I’ve been driving full time as cover driver for 1.5 years now. Does this sound right? I can’t seem to find in the UPS teamsters contract what cover drivers are considered, full time or part time. I thought cover drivers were full time this whole time, and I mean full time employees guaranteed their 40, not actual full time drivers with their own route. Any feedback is appreciated

542thruNthru

I started in warehouse as preload in pay of 2020 and was moved to cover driver in June of 2021. I was told that i would earn holiday pay and such at full time cover driver rate once I hit a year of driving, which would have been in jume of 2022. I was sick with COVID at the end of dec 2022 and applied for the COVID relief pay during my time off. Or emergency paid leave. I was paid compensation at my preload rate for 4 hours daily vs my cover driver rate for 8 hrs, which is what I understood I was now entitled to. Im realizing my holidays have all also been payed out at 4 hrs at 16.50 (preloader rate) I was told by my local HR that I’m still considered part time as a cover driver, even though I’ve been driving full time as cover driver for 1.5 years now. Does this sound right? I can’t seem to find in the UPS teamsters contract what cover drivers are considered, full time or part time. I thought cover drivers were full time this whole time, and I mean full time employees guaranteed their 40, not actual full time drivers with their own route. Any feedback is appreciated
Where are you located?

Your vacation pay goes by what you worked last year

charm299

Where are you located? Sounds like to me you are a tcd, temporary cover driver

JustDeliverIt

Honestly sounds like you’re still a PT cover driver. Did you sign a FT (probably 22.4) bid sheet? As others have asked, where in the country are you located? Different regions have different contractual language.

But if you are still a PT cover driver then yes, the pay is correct (at least here) no matter how long you’ve been driving. Getting 40+ hours a week doesn’t make you FT, means your center is short staffed. As a PT cover all time off would be paid at 4 hours your inside rate.

charm299

Honestly sounds like you’re still a PT cover driver. Did you sign a FT (probably 22.4) bid sheet? As others have asked, where in the country are you located? Different regions have different contractual language.

But if you are still a PT cover driver then yes, the pay is correct (at least here) no matter how long you’ve been driving. Getting 40+ hours a week doesn’t make you FT, means your center is short staffed. As a PT cover all time off would be paid at 4 hours your inside rate.
Not necessarily, if he made 156 driving reports in the southern as a temporary cover driver, you get driver vacation pay. Also if you drive the whole week a holiday falls in , you get driver pay

I was never given any paper to sign or paper advising pay and position. my paycheck still shows me at preload pay under pay rate. HR advises me that I still show as preload in the system when I call and check with them. But when I clock in, I clock in as a driver and get payed at cover driver rate. I didn’t mind taking the pay increase of course. But whenever holidays or things such as disability or the COVID pay come into play, it seems there’s no benefits there. I can’t believe I’ve been driving 40+ hours for over a year and half and still considered part time. I thought that what the one year time frame was for lol I’ve reached out to union rep to double check at this point. I’m so confused.

542thruNthru

Southern Az
Oh, that's my bread and butter.

If you worked that week as a cover driver you should have received cover rate regardless of 1 year cover driver or not.

Screenshot_20230120_001803_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

542thruNthru

I was never given any paper to sign or paper advising pay and position. my paycheck still shows me at preload pay under pay rate. HR advises me that I still show as preload in the system when I call and check with them. But when I clock in, I clock in as a driver and get payed at cover driver rate. I didn’t mind taking the pay increase of course. But whenever holidays or things such as disability or the COVID pay come into play, it seems there’s no benefits there. I can’t believe I’ve been driving 40+ hours for over a year and half and still considered part time. I thought that what the one year time frame was for lol I’ve reached out to union rep to double check at this point. I’m so confused.
You're still technically PT. So work comp, disability, covid will be paid at your PT rate and hours. There is no one year time frame. That's some made up myth in your area or something.

You're a abused driver that's lower than a 22.4 but at the same time You're better than a loader.

KearsargeCoop

Baseball, dart board
Sounds like your ORS, center manager etc etc are real pieces of dog poo. You should be given the opportunity to go thru your packet and start your progression. Eff them.