Cover Driver Short Rant

HyperBrn

To give a bit of backgound, I am a relatively new driver hired off the street (consider myself very lucky). I just hit my 1 year anniversary of my seniority date.

As a cover driver I've had the "luxury" of covering a fair number of routes. Enough to have a good idea which routes are easier/harder than others. And which routes I would do better/worse at when assigned to them.

One of the "perks" that this center features is a satellite center. At this satellite center, they preload and dispatch approximately 15 routes that are geographically far enough from the main center to justify its existence. They get their packages (except for air) shuttled in from the main center. So the routes typically depart from the satellite center about an hour later than the primary center.

Most of the routes would be run by bid drivers who are "domiciled" at or near the satellite center. But there would usually be about 2 or 3 routes that had to be covered by cover drivers who are based out of the primary center. The primary center is approx 67 miles from the satellite center.

During the summer and pre-peak, there would be enough spare package cars that most or all cover drivers would be allowed to use one of them to drive from the main center to the satellite after clocking in and PCM. But all throughout peak and since peak ended, they haven't had any spare package cars. During peak, that was obvious and understandable as we were renting U-hauls to run routes. But since peak ended, we are STILL using U-hauls, due to package cars breaking down and the fact that the center added FIVE new bid routes (which should have been added months ago, but that's another story).

That means that on any given day, 3 or 4 drivers have to drive an hour from the main center to the satellite center and then back again at the end of the day, using their POVs. I don't know about the other two drivers they've been sending (it's been me and 2 other drivers consistently). But it costs me approx $180 a week in gas costs to drive back and forth every day. Granted, part of that is that i drive a 22 year old pickup truck. But it is still no less frustrating to lose a whole day's pay (I'm still getting paid as a first year driver; again another story) every week.

I'm not really asking for anything from you folks. I now as a low seniority cover driver, I have to tolerate being put on routes that I hate and deal with the bottom of the barrel. But I wanted to share and vent my feelings, hoping that it makes me feel better to express it rather than just bottle it up inside. Thanks for listening.

(okay, sorry. Maybe it wasn't all that short :P )

Thebrownblob

Sounds like a crappy set up, but if you have a start time posted at one building, you should be on the clock if you’re driving to another location after reporting. Do not have satellite centers, but we do have other buildings in our geographical location. If a driver is asked to go to one of those buildings, he can refuse. Or take a package car, or drive there own vehicle, while on the clock being reimbursed for miles. Get with your business agent or Steward and find out.

HyperBrn

Sounds like a crappy set up, but if you have a start time posted at one building, you should be on the clock if you’re driving to another location after reporting. Do not have satellite centers, but we do have other buildings in our geographical location. If a driver is asked to go to one of those buildings, he can refuse. Or take a package car, or drive there own vehicle, while on the clock being reimbursed for miles. Get with your business agent or Steward and find out.
I've been told that I can only get reimbursed for mileage if I am "forced" onto a route for an entire week. And then my start time would be adjusted to match the satellite center's start times. So I would NOT be paid for my travel out there and back.

So in essence I would get EITHER base pay or mileage. Never both. And as it stands, mileage would result in SLIGHTLY better compensation at my current rate of pay. But either way, I would still consume the vast majority of EITHER method of compensation paying for gas.

Thebrownblob

I've been told that I can only get reimbursed for mileage if I am "forced" onto a route for an entire week. And then my start time would be adjusted to match the satellite center's start times. So I would NOT be paid for my travel out there and back.

So in essence I would get EITHER base pay or mileage. Never both. And as it stands, mileage would result in SLIGHTLY better compensation at my current rate of pay. But either way, I would still consume the vast majority of EITHER method of compensation paying for gas.
How can I change your start time? It Has to be uniform for the week.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
As the blob said you should be reimbursed for the mileage. If you’re on the clock you do not use your personal vehicle but possibly you’re being “directed” to do so. I’m not sure please clarify that for us. Talk to a well knowledged steward or your BA about it.
Also tell us your local.

@BigUnionGuy

HyperBrn

As the blob said you should be reimbursed for the mileage. If you’re on the clock you do not use your personal vehicle but possibly you’re being “directed” to do so. I’m not sure please clarify that for us. Talk to a well knowledged steward or your BA about it.
Also tell us your local.

@BigUnionGuy
Local 638

HyperBrn

48 hours notice here for adjusted start time and/or added work days. But rarely happens
The only times my start time was different than the primary center was for two weeks when I was "forced" to cover a vacation at the satellite center. Those were the only times my start times were at the satellite center's time. And they were the only times I was allowed to claim mileage. And again, I was not paid for my travel back and forth to the satellite center, as I was only allowed to be on the clock from when i arrived at the satellite center (traveled direct from my house) til I ended my working day at the satellite center.

Whenever I just covered a "random" route (because either it was a cut route, a vacation week that no one bid to cover, or a bid route that had no bid driver (most common scenario)) I was scheduled at the primary center's start times and was paid hourly (no mileage) to travel to the satellite center.

I've had a driver suggest I refuse to drive my POV out to the satellite center. But I have not consulted with a steward (or my BA) on whether I am justified to do this.

I did a quick search of the national master and the only parts of the contract that are remotely applicable are:

Article 40, Section 1, Subsection i,

Air Exception drivers will use the Employer’s vehicles whenever possible. Air Exception drivers who would happen to use their personal automobiles shall be reimbursed at the IRS limit applicable per mile for all miles driven to perform the air driving work in addition to their air driver wages. When an employee uses his/her own vehicle in the service of the Employer and is involved in an accident, the Employer shall be responsible for the damages to both - 158 - Article 40 the employee’s vehicle and to the other person’s vehicle and/or property, and will provide liability insurance coverage.

Which doesn't seem to apply to me.

and

Article 26, Section 1,

No package car driver shall be forced to use his or her personal vehicle to deliver packages.

Which does not apply to me, because I'm just conveying from center to sub-center.

And the Central Supplement has nothing on the topic.

So I don't know what grounds I can use to "fight" management if they say "too bad, so sad. suck it up kid" if they don't have or refuse to provide a vehicle, or compensate me for both time paid and mileage.

I will broach the subject with my BA I suppose. Every time I bring it up with a shop steward, they give me answers that give me the sense that I'm going to have to grin and bear it.

FromOffTheStreets

We've got a total of 5 satellite routes in 3 different towns. All 1-1.5 hours away. They pay mileage or for a hotel room. Some of the lower guys will volunteer to cover these routes for the extra mileage check $. But most people despise getting forced on them. We've had a number of guys quit over it for being forced on them for months at a time.

Michael Scott

Ive never had this situation since working at UPS. But at the job i had prior to working here i had to do this on a daily/weekly basis. I was always paid my hourly rate + mileage while driving my personal vehicle. Doesnt seem right to me what theyre doing to you and I would definitely be pursuing it further if I were you.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
I'm in the same local as you, we have satellite routes out an hour from the building and usually the driver meets up at a set location to get their packages from a TP60. I don't believe the driver gets paid to drive to their meet point or mileage for cover drivers to drive to the location. I would ask our BA John or Scott for more info.

I have NOT been lurking

Degenerate Member
To give a bit of backgound, I am a relatively new driver hired off the street (consider myself very lucky). I just hit my 1 year anniversary of my seniority date.

As a cover driver I've had the "luxury" of covering a fair number of routes. Enough to have a good idea which routes are easier/harder than others. And which routes I would do better/worse at when assigned to them.

One of the "perks" that this center features is a satellite center. At this satellite center, they preload and dispatch approximately 15 routes that are geographically far enough from the main center to justify its existence. They get their packages (except for air) shuttled in from the main center. So the routes typically depart from the satellite center about an hour later than the primary center.

Most of the routes would be run by bid drivers who are "domiciled" at or near the satellite center. But there would usually be about 2 or 3 routes that had to be covered by cover drivers who are based out of the primary center. The primary center is approx 67 miles from the satellite center.

During the summer and pre-peak, there would be enough spare package cars that most or all cover drivers would be allowed to use one of them to drive from the main center to the satellite after clocking in and PCM. But all throughout peak and since peak ended, they haven't had any spare package cars. During peak, that was obvious and understandable as we were renting U-hauls to run routes. But since peak ended, we are STILL using U-hauls, due to package cars breaking down and the fact that the center added FIVE new bid routes (which should have been added months ago, but that's another story).

That means that on any given day, 3 or 4 drivers have to drive an hour from the main center to the satellite center and then back again at the end of the day, using their POVs. I don't know about the other two drivers they've been sending (it's been me and 2 other drivers consistently). But it costs me approx $180 a week in gas costs to drive back and forth every day. Granted, part of that is that i drive a 22 year old pickup truck. But it is still no less frustrating to lose a whole day's pay (I'm still getting paid as a first year driver; again another story) every week.

I'm not really asking for anything from you folks. I now as a low seniority cover driver, I have to tolerate being put on routes that I hate and deal with the bottom of the barrel. But I wanted to share and vent my feelings, hoping that it makes me feel better to express it rather than just bottle it up inside. Thanks for listening.

(okay, sorry. Maybe it wasn't all that short :P )
1669150531176789.png

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

When I was a cover I was “told” to go to another building about 45 minutes away to help out. Drove there in my own car for the 9am start. Did that for a little over a week. A shop steward overheard me talking about it with another driver and had me fill out a slew of grievances. You can’t be ordered to another building. If you do volunteer you can take a company vehicle from your building to the other one or they have to reimburse you the mileage. Little different scenario than what you’re having but you should be getting made whole with gas money.

TSB

Yeah, I'm a road hog
Have you considered parking your car a short distance from your center, taking an Uber, then, when they tell you to go to the satellite you can truthfully claim your vehicle is not there.

clean hairy

Something in the contract "when using personal vehicle in service of the employer, shall be paid prevailing IRS mileage rate")
If I recall correctly.