Cover drivers HAVE to work black friday?

EmraldArcher

This came as a surprise to me. I don't really mind but I have a couple questions:

1. What am I going to get paid? Is it 4 or 8 hours straight time holiday pay (my regular job is part time preload) and then time and a half for actual hours worked?

2. If I'm still in my 30 day probationary/qualification period for cover driving does the requirement apply to me?

3. Am I required to work the preload if they don't actually need me to drive?

rod

Retired 22 years
We always had enought greedy senior money hungry suck ups who would volunteer to work that day so none of the kids who really needed the money got a chance to work.

UPSGUY72

This came as a surprise to me. I don't really mind but I have a couple questions:

1. What am I going to get paid? Is it 4 or 8 hours straight time holiday pay (my regular job is part time preload) and then time and a half for actual hours worked?

2. If I'm still in my 30 day probationary/qualification period for cover driving does the requirement apply to me?

3. Am I required to work the preload if they don't actually need me to drive?

Did you ask your SUP?

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm beginning to think that another sub-forum would be warranted. One to deal with all the seasonal, new-hire and pre-seniority issues.

Let us veterans (old(er) farts) have this one.

barnyard

KTM rider
I always take vacation so that I do not have to work Black Friday, but I noticed on the sign up sheet that there was a good mix of people that signed for Friday. They asked for 12 volunteers and it looked like 12 signed. Nice not to have to force anyone.

rod

Retired 22 years
lol... do I detect a little resentment?

Not from me. Other than my regularly scheduled hours I never worked one minute of "volunteer" work in 30 years. There was a small group of senior guys though who had no home life so they worked every chance they could.

Indecisi0n

Honestly when I think about it now, when i was forced to work it as a seasonal I don't even think I got paid time and a half. Since I wasn't hired on the books I didn't get paid for the holiday so it was straight worked hours.

Notretiredyet

We are paid 8hrs for day and double time for hours worked on Friday, 8hr guarantee but you can work actual hrs if you want. Always worked Friday and New Years Eve until recently, but with the bozos that run the show now it's not worth it. Years ago we started early, loaded and dispatched ourselves and everyone was off the clock by 3pm. Now they want you to start at 9am and most are given enough work to keep them working at least 8hrs. Last year some worked over 10hrs and didn't punch out till 8pm, no thanks.

I GOT ONE MORE

Not from me. Other than my regularly scheduled hours I never worked one minute of "volunteer" work in 30 years. There was a small group of senior guys though who had no home life so they worked every chance they could.

To each their own.
I respect the fact that some choose to accept about 40 hours a week is an adequate and proper balance for their life, some do not.
My grand daddy told me long ago, work = money
and more work = more money.
This why I have no debt, my house is paid off and I just spent a boat load of money on a custom tailor-made tuxedo and a new Rolex. Cash money.

I average about 52 hours a week because I start early while everyone else is asleep and get home probably before you do.
I have always worked these gravy days because it's something different to do, people appreciate the service and are happy to see you, and it IS absolutely the easiest day you will ever have working at UPS.

I've been smart with the money I have worked hard for.

"Live like nobody else, so tomorrow you can live like nobody else."
Dave Ramsey fans will understand this quote.

Again with respect, to each their own.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

"Live like nobody else, so tomorrow you can live like nobody else." Dave Ramsey fans will understand this quote.

I average about 40 hours a week, have no debt (other than my mortgage) and set aside 25% of my gross pay to my 401k.

I live like a monk so that when I retire I can live like a player.

Again, with respect, to each their own.

rod

Retired 22 years
To each their own.
I respect the fact that some choose to accept about 40 hours a week is an adequate and proper balance for their life, some do not.
My grand daddy told me long ago, work = money
and more work = more money.
This why I have no debt, my house is paid off and I just spent a boat load of money on a custom tailor-made tuxedo and a new Rolex. Cash money.

I average about 52 hours a week because I start early while everyone else is asleep and get home probably before you do.
I have always worked these gravy days because it's something different to do, people appreciate the service and are happy to see you, and it IS absolutely the easiest day you will ever have working at UPS.

I've been smart with the money I have worked hard for.

"Live like nobody else, so tomorrow you can live like nobody else."
Dave Ramsey fans will understand this quote.

I never said I didn't work overtime---what I meat was that I never volunteered to work days like the day after Thankgiving or Christmas. I too belong to the no debt club----------+ I have a garage full of toys.