Crazy idea here!

What'dyabringmetoday???

If your goal was to generate one-sided, UPS hating, mindless responses, you have done a good job....

If you wanted a real answer, unfortunately you have come to the wrong place (see sentence above)

UPS has about 400,000 people. There are only a little over 100 district mangers. Only about 3,000 division managers and above. Look at those odds.

But, over a long and good career it can certainly be done. The path will be different for different people..... The skills and experience needed today is different than the past (as it is for all businesses).

Go talk to some local management, not a bulletin board.... Best of luck...
I will agree that responses can be hateful and PERHAPS one-sided. But you can not deny the truth behind some of these statements. Obviously this is the "land-of-make-believe" here, but you seem to be a straight-forward and honest person, based on your postings anyhow. If you are what you appear to be, you know the truth about how UPS is in most locations. We all keep going to work each day though- no matter how much bitchin' goes on.(this is in no way intended to be an attack on you and I hope you do not take it that way)

pretzel_man

I will agree that responses can be hateful and PERHAPS one-sided. But you can not deny the truth behind some of these statements. Obviously this is the "land-of-make-believe" here, but you seem to be a straight-forward and honest person, based on your postings anyhow. If you are what you appear to be, you know the truth about how UPS is in most locations. We all keep going to work each day though- no matter how much bitchin' goes on.(this is in no way intended to be an attack on you and I hope you do not take it that way)

I stand by my statement.....

UPS (like all other businesses I know) has its pros and cons.

There are certainly poor managers. Just like there are poor drivers.

When I walk into operations (and its often) I see a tremendous amount of good people. Both management and hourly. They are working hard to do the best they can. Its a tough job just like it always has been. But competition today is harder than ever before. We didn't have to deal with that 30 years ago.

The comments here were funny. Laced in truth at some point. Like an ethnic joke??

So, as I said if he wanted a real answer, don't come here. I wouldn't go to the RNC to give me a balanced opinion of Obama.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So, as I said if he wanted a real answer, don't come here. I wouldn't go to the RNC to give me a balanced opinion of Obama.....

That is perhaps the best assessment of what one sees here on BC.

I don't take stuff on here very seriously but I do value it as an insight.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

I'm sorry but other than yours and P-man's posts, the replies were the equivalent of Beavis and Butthead material not that there is anything wrong with that.
People come here to enjoy themselves and they make these types of posts and that's part of what BC is here for.

Of course, when I and others make the equivalent type of remarks about drivers, we are poured down on with self-righteous indignation.

It's all just amusing to me.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
I'm sorry but other than yours and P-man's posts, the replies were the equivalent of Beavis and Butthead material not that there is anything wrong with that.
People come here to enjoy themselves and they make these types of posts and that's part of what BC is here for.

Of course, when I and others make the equivalent type of remarks about drivers, we are poured down on with self-righteous indignation.

Was your raise this year also amusing? Your gun-ho now because your nearing retirement, but what future is there in operations

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Was your raise this year also amusing? Your gun-ho now because your nearing retirement, but what future is there in operations

The post to which you responded was extolling the virtues of high school male type responses.

Your post is much more mature and thoughtful.

My raise was pitiful this year but I would rather have the salary I had before and not get a raise than to have been making less and got a better raise.
This type of thought process is typical of me and causes my com-padres to claim in exasperation that I can find a positive in anything.
I find this to be a better way to go through life myself.

The phrase is gung-ho and yes I am nearing retirement but I have been like this my whole life - ask my wife who is more negative than most of the posters on here.

I don't know what you mean by future in operations.
It's a job and it pays decent ... that's why you work ... for money.
I don't understand anything else other than that ... I always did it for the money.
Perhaps someone else can help you find a philosophical meaning in your job... I am not that person however.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
+
The post to which you responded was extolling the virtues of high school male type responses.

Your post is much more mature and thoughtful.

My raise was pitiful this year but I would rather have the salary I had before and not get a raise than to have been making less and got a better raise.
This type of thought process is typical of me and causes my com-padres to claim in exasperation that I can find a positive in anything.
I find this to be a better way to go through life myself.

The phrase is gung-ho and yes I am nearing retirement but I have been like this my whole life - ask my wife who is more negative than most of the posters on here.

I don't know what you mean by future in operations.
It's a job and it pays decent ... that's why you work ... for money.
I don't understand anything else other than that ... I always did it for the money.
Perhaps someone else can help you find a philosophical meaning in your job... I am not that person however.

Wow,, my simple comment warranted that snoozefest of a tangent,, thank you for validating it,, I really dont understand what you do, I do however understand the ridiculous futility of operations. the enviorment is completely diff now

pretzel_man

+

Wow,, my simple comment warranted that snoozefest of a tangent,, thank you for validating it,, I really dont understand what you do, I do however understand the ridiculous futility of operations. the enviorment is completely diff now

I have a couple of kids who are in the job market and it's tough out there.... Not a lot of jobs to pick from.

If they were interested, I would definitley encourage them to be a UPS supervisor. But I would counsel them as I have done others.

As you said the job is different today. The old skills will not cut it any more.

In the old days we had cookie cutter operations and if you followed the tried and true procedures you would be successful. We had very few services and customers did things our way. Today we have many personalized services that must be treated individually.

In the old days, UPS was growing leaps and bounds. Salary was never high for a supervisor, but stock and stock growth carried the day. Because of growth, promotions, moves, etc. for management was more common. That is no longer true.

In the old days, there was little or no competition. We were the small player taking volume from the post office (and FedEx). Today, FedEx ground has stolen our packages. Our packages are moving through a cheaper non-union workforce because we got fat and happy.

The old days are gone, and wishing for them is fruitless.

So, UPS today is in the same situation as most companies. We have to deal with competition, lower margins, and a tougher environment. Go talk to people in other companies. This is true everywhere.

The supervisor of today needs different skills. They need more technical skills. More analytical skills. More managment skills. More business skills. More people skills.

An individual with those skills can do well, even today.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
More managment skills. More people skills.
That would not describe my DM.

The meaning of those terms have changed as well ... especially from the perspective of the company versus the employee.

The job of management is not to coddle and be a parent figure to their employees.

It is more along the lines of understanding that each person is an individual and understanding what motivates that person.

For ultimately, it is the job of management to reach the goals by working through and with other people.