crossroads at ups

island1fox

Fixed income to me means not much earning power now. You can still make some bucks trading on the stock market, but you can lose too.

I always found most of the UPS discounts not to be discounts at all. Always steering us towards Liberty mutual......I blew Liberty's quotes out of the water just by making a few phone calls of my own.

I cut up my AARP card a few years ago when they sold us out!! Anything that comes in the mail from AARP goes in the trash immediately.

More,
Once again Happy Birthday !! I could not agree more with your post. For many years UPS pointed me in the direction of Liberty Mutual. Being retired I had the time to make a few phone calls to find out for the very same coverage and deductions --Liberty was THOUSANDS of dollars more annually than other insurance companies for Home, car, umbrella etc.

AARP's gonna get me 10% off my hotel room ??? Well I can get it for free in Vegas and I get kama'aina rates in Hawaii, so AARP can go to hell!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sorry Upstate your attitude toward retirees seems to reflect that now that we are old --we are somehow less than you. Very sad. Someday in the near future we will welcome YOU !!

As I said, when I hear someone use the word "fixed income", a UPS retiree does not come to mind. We have an above-average pension and a 401K with which we can supplement this pension. I have little sympathy when one of our retirees whines about living on a "fixed income" as I see far too many elderly who truly have to make difficult choices each and every day. Dave.

island1fox

As I said, when I hear someone use the word "fixed income", a UPS retiree does not come to mind. We have an above-average pension and a 401K with which we can supplement this pension. I have little sympathy when one of our retirees whines about living on a "fixed income" as I see far too many elderly who truly have to make difficult choices each and every day. Dave.

Upstate,

Sadly, You just do not get it. The majority of the people you See and speak of had the same if not more opportunity than me and you.

There are way too many lazy people out there and yes they do get old but have chosen not to have a Ups Pension because they would have had to work for it.

The time will come soon when you will see things much clearer.

klein

Für Meno :)

Upstate,

Sadly, You just do not get it. The majority of the people you See and speak of had the same if not more opportunity than me and you.

There are way too many lazy people out there and yes they do get old but have chosen not to have a Ups Pension because they would have had to work for it.

That's crap !

Are you saying the applaince delivery person, who drags washmachines, dryers, dishwashers etc, even goes down the basement all day long doesn't work hard.
Or the moving company you may have hired , doesn't ?

For the most part , they don't get company pensions.
No thanks, I think you rather drive for UPS, then delivering large appliances, 5 gallon water jugs, or moving furniture, without those bennies, pensions, and earning a lot less.

Last edited:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Klein, he was refering to a comment a certain person made about a retired UPS employee. A person who should have those discounts.

As for those other delivery people, they chose to work for companies that don't offer pensions. I chose to work for a company that does. I am permanently damaged of that choice, but be clear, it was a choice that anyone else could have made. The position I have was available at the time because a girl I worked with at Southwicks turned the job down. She thought it was 'too much work for the pay'. "I can make that here riding around in a truck." I jumped on the opportunity. She doesn't work for the park anymore. She works at Walmart. That was her choice. Not mine.

klein

Well, meno, not everyone can walk in the door at UPS a get a drivers job. It's like saying it was your choice not to become the President of the USA, or the the Hollywood famous star, as examples.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I didn't walk into a driving job, either. I worked my ass off on preload for 6 and 1/2 years. I would have been there longer, but it isn't my fault some people can't keep their license clean. I earned that job, Klein. Earned.

klein

I didn't walk into a driving job, either. I worked my ass off on preload for 6 and 1/2 years. I would have been there longer, but it isn't my fault some people can't keep their license clean. I earned that job, Klein. Earned.

I understand that, but when UPS does have a local job opening and 200 people or more apply for it, isn't it true that not all of them will be hired , even as loaders ?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate,

Sadly, I do get it, which is why I have worked extremely hard over the past 3-4 years to erase my debt and focus on building up my 401k to ensure that I have a secure retirement in which my choices will not be limited by my checkbook balance.

I live a very modest lifestyle with few vices. I don't have a lot of toys nor do I need them. I do plan on getting my motorcycle license and buying a bike when I retire. I would also love to get my private pilot license. I also plan on being the best Grandpa that I can be (when the time comes) and will have the financial means to do so.

This may surprise you but, for the most part, I respect our retirees, especially those who have separated themselves from the company and have moved on to the second part of their lives. What I don't respect is those who still feel as though they are "owed" something. You put in your time, worked your butt off and are being rewarded for that effort through a very generous pension and benefit package. It's not my fault if you chose to not plan for your retirement, whether financially or pyschologically.

menotyou

bella amicizia
I understand that, but when UPS does have a local job opening and 200 people or more apply for it, isn't it true that not all of them will be hired , even as loaders ?
I would assume so. Conversely, they are hiring drivers off the street at a lot of centers. If you can't find work, maybe you should re-locate. If you don't want to re-locate, then you choose not to get those driving jobs. Either way, it is a choice.