Damn you taxes...

Overpaid Union Thug

I'll agree with this to an extent. The game is more rigged then it's ever been nowadays so it's harder to make any fortune unless you're born into it etc etc.

I think compassion has to be firm but also have balance.

That's not true. Most rich people are first generation. And those that aren't....so what. The average Joe squanders wealth and it says allot about someone when they don't. Especially when inherited.

FilingBluesFL

I'll agree with this to an extent. The game is more rigged then it's ever been nowadays so it's harder to make any fortune unless you're born into it etc etc.

I think compassion has to be firm but also have balance.

It's still fairly easy to hit it rich.

look at the people developing phone apps and how much google and others are picking them up for...

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
300k is nowhere near poor. That's upper middle class. Even in CA you'd be doing pretty good. Nice home in a nice neighborhood, nice cars and a little left over to play with. Add kids in the mix and it would definitely change your lifestyle a bit.
image.jpg

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's no more rigged then it's ever been.

There have always been and will always be wealthy families. There's also people who invent things that make them billionaires. Always have been always will be.

Difference now is more people think the rich owe them.

I disagree. It's way more rigged then say 20 years ago. They own the politicians. They write the laws through ALEC. All the IRS loopholes are now more than ever in their favor.

It is way more rigged in their favor now. That's why we have the social climate we have now. It's fallen off of balance.

Brownslave688

That's not true. Most rich people are first generation. And those that aren't....so what. The average Joe squanders wealth and it says allot about someone when they don't. Especially when inherited.
Law of averages say any family will only be truly wealthy or poor for 3 generations before something changes.

Brownslave688

I disagree. It's way more rigged then say 20 years ago. They own the politicians. They write the laws through ALEC. All the IRS loopholes are now more than ever in their favor.

It is way more rigged in their favor now. That's why we have the social climate we have now. It's fallen off of balance.
Always have.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

Not true at all. Most huge wealth is inherited and has been passed over and over. That's why estate tax laws are like they are.

Your assumptions about the average person are way off too.

Brownslave688

Not true at all. Most huge wealth is inherited and has been passed over and over. That's why estate tax laws are like they are.

Your assumptions about the average person are way off too.
For only a couple generations. Look up all of the super rich families from the 1800's very few millionaires in their family trees now.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It's still fairly easy to hit it rich.

look at the people developing phone apps and how much google and others are picking them up for...

Sadly that's one of the only ways in this country to hit it huge. That's still a small percentage to the families that own major industries.

Brownslave688

Sadly that's one of the only ways in this country to hit it huge. That's still a small percentage to the families that own major industries.
Inventing new products or a new way of doing business is about the only way to get bill gates rich.

What are you considering rich?

Law or medical degrees get you pretty good pay right off the bat.

Not smart enough? Tough :censored2:. Not everyone DESERVES to be rich.

MendozaJ

If you file jointly, you will be able to drop your tax rate to 25%. If you open a 401k, you will be able to drop your tax rate to 25% while saving money for retirement. Your Roth should be at least 10%. If you get a refund every year, you're not paying enough in taxes. That $3k should be invested and not sitting in the US Treasury.

JL 0513

It's not though. My wife and I combined income is almost 300k. We do well. We aren't wealthy.

Do you have unusual expenses? $300K is doing damn well. It's not rich but I would say it's at least the beginning of "wealthy". Wealthy is defined differently for everyone though.

The median salary for a doctor (general practice) in the US is $137K. The median income for a lawyer is $89K. Surprised? Lawyers have a reputation for making a lot but you have to be at the top of your game to make big money.

You and your wife are making more than a possible two doctor household. I would say that's good money. What is your wife doing??

Do you have unusual expenses? $300K is doing damn well. It's not rich but I would say it's at least the beginning of "wealthy". Wealthy is defined differently for everyone though.

The median salary for a doctor (general practice) in the US is $137K. The median income for a lawyer is $89K. Surprised? Lawyers have a reputation for making a lot but you have to be at the top of your game to make big money.:-)

You and your wife are making more than a possible two doctor household. I would say that's good money. What is your wife doing??
Me!:-)