Day after Thanksgiving requirement

Travwise

The money is great, obviously. This one of the few days I'd rather have off to spend with my family. What a joke the Central is in this regard - here are your holidays BUT you can be required to work. It is mind boggling to me why we currently pay union dues. The company does whatever the :censored2: they want to do anyway.

Indecisi0n

The money is great, obviously. This one of the few days I'd rather have off to spend with my family. What a joke the Central is in this regard - here are your holidays BUT you can be required to work. It is mind boggling to me why we currently pay union dues. The company does whatever the :censored2: they want to do anyway.
If they forced me to come in I'll just do 3 stops an hour.

a911scanner

If it were up to the company we would still have that day off.

We are working because Amazon told UPS that we should be. It is that simple.

While I understand your comment and don't disagree, why is it that they dictate when we should work, yet yank a ton of volume away in select areas? Sounds to me like UPS should tell them to give us the volume back or stop giving us expectations of performance.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
While I understand your comment and don't disagree, why is it that they dictate when we should work, yet yank a ton of volume away in select areas? Sounds to me like UPS should tell them to give us the volume back or stop giving us expectations of performance.
Or else what? We're going to pull the contract? Unfortunately when you get in bed with a big customer, sometimes you have to bend over backwards to please them.

a911scanner

I understand that, but you can't expect to be given concessions then pull business away like that. If anything, when we concede to their whims on "holidays" they should ensure to provide business to compensate for it, not take it away.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I understand that, but you can't expect to be given concessions then pull business away like that. If anything, when we concede to their whims on "holidays" they should ensure to provide business to compensate for it, not take it away.
We're doing more volume in my building right now than we've ever done before.

UPSGUY72

If the last contract states no one works that day - why has the union allowed this to happen? There wasn't any vote after the contract passed to make this a mandatory work day. Just curious. To me, if nothing was voted in prior to ratification of the contract - then the company should abide what was passed in the contract book. I doubt if anyone has received any type of amendment to the contract stating that everyone is now required to work the day after.

If you don't want to work and they put a list up of people they forced to work from the bottom up and your on it. You can CALL IN they can't stop you from calling in and unless you have a history of calling in they can't do anything about it...

Johney

If you don't want to work and they put a list up of people they forced to work from the bottom up and your on it. You can CALL IN they can't stop you from calling in and unless you have a history of calling in they can't do anything about it...
I have always agreed with the scenarios of "if you want the day off but are forced to work just call out." But....just expect to PAY for that day off dearly and don't bitch about the repercussions. Cause they will come.