Days off...

How do things work concerning taking time off as a part time handler? Not that I plan on randomly not showing up, but I have plans to spend 2 out of town, don't want it to cost me my job. Would I be allowed to have 2 weeks off? Not paid I assume, that's fine, but as long as I can do it and still have my job when I get back.

anything is possible if you talk to your center manager about it first. my best guess is that the 2 day thing has a good chance, the 2 week thing...uuuuh not so much.

supercool

Why not? If I'm not being paid for it, what does it matter?
Because UPS doesn't hire enough people to accommodate when people take a bunch of time off... they generally have staffing problems as is. It kind of sets a bad example, especially for a new employee. But they always seem to live...

If you're gonna take time off in the near future after getting a job at UPS, make sure they know immediately. Either tell the guy hiring you, or your new center manager when you get hired. They like to know these things.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Sprained ankle takes about 2 weeks to heal:happy2: Just put a small pebble in one shoe so you remember to walk with a slight limp when you come back:surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That's excellent advice--begin your career w/UPS by faking an injury.

Asking for 2 days off is far more reasonable than asking for 2 weeks off, whether that time is paid or unpaid. Put yourself in the shoes of your co-workers and ask yourself if you would mind if they took 2 weeks off and, if you feel comfortable with that, then go ahead and put your request in, but don't be surprised if you get turned down. Staffing is always an issue and accomodating 2 days is much easier than 2 weeks.

May I suggest that you put these plans on hold until you have built up your vacation time so that you can take the time off and get paid for it and not put your co-workers in a potential bind due to your unplanned absence.

DorkHead

That's excellent advice--begin your career w/UPS by faking an injury.

May I suggest that you put these plans on hold until you have built up your vacation time so that you can take the time off and get paid for it and not put your co-workers in a potential bind due to your unplanned absence.

Yeah, you can take 2 weeks off after 2 yrs.

brownrodster

In my building they will not let you have 'time off' for any reason unless you've earned the appropriate amount of vacation. Even then it's hard to get the weeks you want if you have low seniority. I've seen people quit when they were denied time off that they had not earned.

Expect no time off in your first year. In your second year you get 2 weeks off and 5 days you can use individually (in my region, it differs across the country). If you call in sick for 2 weeks they will require doctors notes.

thebrownbox

At my hub I told my manager like it was I needed to take about a week off because of legal issues because of my late father..

If they don't think the Sate of N.C. would like to know what is the hold up.. UPS vs the Sate of N.C.??

nevertheless I did not get a full week off (people took time off in January) so I have 4 days to do what I need to do.

I've been on the job 4 months now.

Why not? If I'm not being paid for it, what does it matter?
The only reason UP$ hires people is to get a job done. If they didn't need you everyday, they wouldn't bother hiring you. They do understand that people need personal time off from time to time, however that takes a back seat to what they need, your labor.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I'm telling you........... the old ankle works every time, especially if you tell them you hurt it OFF the job. Once they know it's not a lost trime injury you can get two weeks easy:happy2::happy2::happy2:

brownrodster

I'm telling you........... the old ankle works every time, especially if you tell them you hurt it OFF the job. Once they know it's not a lost trime injury you can get two weeks easy:happy2::happy2::happy2:

The problem with that is you still need to provide a doctors note if they ask. And then there's the whole dishonesty thing. I hear they can fire you for that.

A

anyone

I hope you take his advice and take two weeks off by faking an injury then get really hurt while you are out and about. Remember you wont have health care.... good luck being a liar....... only someone from pa and a steelers fan would give such bad advice

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
You're anyone, not everyone! Let me know if you need a note, I know a couple of docs! Why you wish the guy gets really hurt? Don't hate the players, hate the game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Well...you never said why you need the 2 weeks off. If you speak to your center manager and its a family emergency you may get the time off. Ask.....maybe use some visine to get that teary look.