Death in Syracuse

brett636

Its a sad situation all the way around. The family of the deceased can never be made whole no matter how much money UPS ends up paying them, and the driver has almost no chance of getting his job back. A few years ago a driver out of a center in my building pulled out in front of a motorcycle going over twice the legal speed limit. The motorcyclist was killed, and even though the motorcycle was going 90 mph the company had no intention of allowing that driver back. He went all the way to arbitration and lost since the company has no intention to reinstate a driver involved in a fatality. Now to the company's credit they did offer the driver an inside combo job, but the driver refused thinking he should not have been found at fault due to the reckless behavior of the motorcyclist. Bottom line was the rider had the right of way despite the high speed and one more UPS driving career ended prematurely due to it.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Its a sad situation all the way around. The family of the deceased can never be made whole no matter how much money UPS ends up paying them, and the driver has almost no chance of getting his job back. A few years ago a driver out of a center in my building pulled out in front of a motorcycle going over twice the legal speed limit. The motorcyclist was killed, and even though the motorcycle was going 90 mph the company had no intention of allowing that driver back. He went all the way to arbitration and lost since the company has no intention to reinstate a driver involved in a fatality. Now to the company's credit they did offer the driver an inside combo job, but the driver refused thinking he should not have been found at fault due to the reckless behavior of the motorcyclist. Bottom line was the rider had the right of way despite the high speed and one more UPS driving career ended prematurely due to it.
HUH?

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Management's first response should be to protect THEIR driver,who is the best trained in the industry and has served UPS well for over 20 years!!!

My guess is that his management is pratically salivating over the fact that the driver could potentially be fired and replaced by a new hire who will be younger, presumeably healthier, easier to intimidate into skipping lunch, stuck in progression for 2 years, and only have 2 weeks paid vacation per year instead of 6. Its not about protecting people, its about protecting profits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My guess is that his management is pratically salivating over the fact that the driver could potentially be fired and replaced by a new hire who will be younger, presumeably healthier, easier to intimidate into skipping lunch, stuck in progression for 2 years, and only have 2 weeks paid vacation per year instead of 6. Its not about protecting people, its about protecting profits.

Your guess couldn't be further from the truth, at least in this case. The details, which have been slowly released, all point to pedestrian error.

U

uber

Our DM was in the bldg for a second day and there is still no new information on this tragedy.

Well next time you see him raise your hand and use Mr. and Sir. Then ask him how he likes his coffee. If he asks you to jump, say, how high?

brett636

I know it defies logic, but our driver had to stop at a stop sign while the crossing traffic does not have to stop. Despite the excessive speed of the bike the right of way still applies to the rider. Same situation happened to an Aunt and Uncle of mine. They were leaving a movie theater one night, and from the exit of this theater the road bends in such a way that you cannot see past it by maybe 150 ft. or so, but the speed limit is 30 so anything coming around you should be able to see it before you pull out. Well my Aunt was driving and pulled out and a speeding motorcycle doing an excess of 80 mph hit her. The bike had no insurance, was not even the property of the rider, and the rider in question was not even licensed to ride a motorcycle. The rider survived, but will require special care the rest of his life. He sued my Aunt and Uncle and won based on the right of way rules. Its messed up but that is how it works.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The bike had no insurance, was not even the property of the rider, and the rider in question was not even licensed to ride a motorcycle. The rider survived, but will require special care the rest of his life. He sued my Aunt and Uncle and won based on the right of way rules. Its messed up but that is how it works.

I would have made sure that the rest of his life was VERRRRY short

soberups

Your guess couldn't be further from the truth, at least in this case. The details, which have been slowly released, all point to pedestrian error.

Whether or not our driver is at fault has little or nothing to do with whether or not the company will pursue disciplinary action against him.

menotyou

bella amicizia
As a person accused of something, and having had videotaped evidence that UPS taped and had viewed so many times I can't count that CLEARLY showed I didn't do anything wrong, I can relate to how little common sense comes into play when standing up on that firing line.
particularly, in this district.

danlin

Sad comment BUT so true...

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Your style of posts are very recognizable and style is based on limitations. :hangin:
It's time to refresh your shtick.

I don't think the level of management you or any driver are exposed to have these things in mind ... maybe the 2 weeks vacation instead of 6. They have too many other things to think about than these fantasy conspiracies. Hopefully, you spend your time off the clock thinking these things up.

Whether or not our driver is at fault has little or nothing to do with whether or not the company will pursue disciplinary action against him.

We had a similar experience in our building. Tragically with a kid doing dumb kid things. The driver was not even charged with any accident much less disciplined. It was the kids fault, witnessed by bystanders, investigated by the police, plain and simple. The reason the driver was not disciplined in any manor was the fact that if a lawyer for the kids family so much as caught a whiff of it they would pursue it and use it against the company as an admission of negligence.

soberups

Your style of posts are very recognizable and style is based on limitations. :hangin:
It's time to refresh your shtick.

I don't think the level of management you or any driver are exposed to have these things in mind ... maybe the 2 weeks vacation instead of 6. They have too many other things to think about than these fantasy conspiracies. Hopefully, you spend your time off the clock thinking these things up.

You are correct, and in rereading my post it was a mistake on my part to refer to "his" management having those things in mind.

Local management does not actually make very many decisions, nor do they set the overall tone or the climate for the workplace. I do believe that the "powers that be" at UPS have no interest whatsoever in showing loyalty towards long term drivers who can be replaced by cheaper employees, and this philosophy trickles down into the decisions that are made about personell issues.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are correct, and in rereading my post it was a mistake on my part to refer to "his" management having those things in mind.

Local management does not actually make very many decisions, nor do they set the overall tone or the climate for the workplace. I do believe that the "powers that be" at UPS have no interest whatsoever in showing loyalty towards long term drivers who can be replaced by cheaper employees, and this philosophy trickles down into the decisions that are made about personell issues.

If you had been in my center yesterday I think you would change your opinion. We had a Circle of Honor ceremony for one of my co-workers. His wife and daughter were invited to join him. We had a catered breakfast, they brought in the 1929 Model T delivery truck and the district manager made the presentation. He was given a leather jacket, uniform shirts with the Circle of Honor logo, a plaque with a model package car, a cake and a banner with a jersey which had his last name and the year, which will hang permanently in the center. It was a very nice ceremony. The only downside was that he was unable to get the day off to spend time with his wife and daughter as it was Mother's Day (Friday), we were slammed and had late air.

soberups

If you had been in my center yesterday I think you would change your opinion. We had a Circle of Honor ceremony for one of my co-workers. His wife and daughter were invited to join him. We had a catered breakfast, they brought in the 1929 Model T delivery truck and the district manager made the presentation. He was given a leather jacket, uniform shirts with the Circle of Honor logo, a plaque with a model package car, a cake and a banner with a jersey which had his last name and the year, which will hang permanently in the center. It was a very nice ceremony. The only downside was that he was unable to get the day off to spend time with his wife and daughter as it was Mother's Day (Friday), we were slammed and had late air.

Circle of Honor ceremonies make for great photo ops. District and Regional bigwigs can drop by for some free food and a chance to inspect their operations, press the flesh, and maybe make a speech or two. Its an easy and relatively cheap way for the company to perpetuate the illusion that safety is actually a priority. Meanwhile....routes are getting cut, dispathes are going up, production harassment is on the increase, and the same Circle of Honor driver who gets a patch and a spiffy jacket one day will be getting a warning letter for "methods infractions" (aka failure to run scratch) the next. It has happened here, I have gotten to sit in and represent them and when I point out their Circle of Honor status I might as well be speaking a foreign language to the sup whose only concern is SPORH at any cost.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Circle of Honor ceremonies make for great photo ops. District and Regional bigwigs can drop by for some free food and a chance to inspect their operations, press the flesh, and maybe make a speech or two. Its an easy and relatively cheap way for the company to perpetuate the illusion that safety is actually a priority. Meanwhile....routes are getting cut, dispathes are going up, production harassment is on the increase, and the same Circle of Honor driver who gets a patch and a spiffy jacket one day will be getting a warning letter for "methods infractions" (aka failure to run scratch) the next. It has happened here, I have gotten to sit in and represent them and when I point out their Circle of Honor status I might as well be speaking a foreign language to the sup whose only concern is SPORH at any cost.

Same old shtick.

I think I know how rod feels.