Debate on gay marriage going on in "Life after Brown."

browniehound

I think this is a more complex subject than my simple mind can handle. I'm heterosexual but not married so I can't understand 100% the side against gay marriage.

I can see both sides of the equation. I don't plan on getting married to anyone (male or female), so I don't pay much attention to the issue.

The more I think about it however, I would vote against it. I know I'm going to anger some people when I say this, but in my mind it comes down to one simple thing. I always thought people got married so they could have kids and raise a family.

To me, this is what marriage is about. Its about pro-creation and keeping the species continuing. People of the same sex can't have children between them. In nature, you would never see two animals of the same sex nesting or dening together because it would do nothing to continue the species.

Now, if you are gay and just want the benefits with your partner that hetrosexual married couples enjoy, then I think you are 100% entitled to them.

But to be married, I think that belongs to a male in a female. I mean, that is how it was created, why should it be changed?

I know what you are going to say, that there are "heterosexual couples that can't reproduce so they adopt". This is true, but they went into marriage hoping like crazy that they could create their own child together. When they discovered they couldn't it becomes a HUGE dissapointment.

Gay people entering into a realtionship know they can't have a child of their own. I think its this fact and this fact alone why marriage should be reserved for a man and woman.

I'm not entirely against a baby being adopted by same-sex parents, but I'll tell you that I wouldn't want to be that baby. Children and adolecents are cruel people. I had great difficulty growing up with a mom and dad. I can only imagine what it would be like if I had 2 moms or 2 dads. I don't think I would have made it through high school.

I think gay couples should think about this before they adopt. Stop thinking about yourselves and think about how your child will feel. Think about how tough it is for a freshman college student (there is always a hanging in the dorm) and now add that his parents are Mom and Mom.

My question: What is he supposed to do?