Defund NPR and PBS

wkmac

We will never be in a position to gloat or keep silent about such things. Unfortunately.:wink2:

Sure we will. You don't think someone wasn't standing on the deck of the Titanic as she was taking on water complaining:

I told everyone that there were icebergs ahead but OH No, what did I know so now I'm saying it, I told you so!

I'd call that gloating!
:happy-very:

As to NPR, I'll be the first as I've said to turn off the public spicot but in defense of NPR's delivery in it's news method, last Oct. they had a great story on "ALEC" or American Legislative Exchange Council and it's impact on legislative law in the various State houses across the country. Now NPR IMO was dead on with this story and gave it good coverage and yet where was CNN, Fox, MSNBC or even the big 3 networks? Mother Jones was on ALEC all the way back in 2002' yet where's the transparency everyone claims they want in the process?

People want to scream at NPR and Public Broadcasting but there are times they cover a story with some depth and analysis not seen in the other outlets because they are to damn busy being the spawn of Edward Bernays working for the faceless shadows that profit from the ministries of truth. Also another great PBS creation is Frontline who so often do a very good job on subjects the news majors would never dare touch in a million years.

bbsam

Staff member
So on the Titanic, just how effective was that "golden parachute". Also, I doubt that there were alot of blue-collar folk on that maiden voyage. Were not talking about the Professor, Mary Anne and the rest on the "Minnow" here.

Sure we will. You don't think someone wasn't standing on the deck of the Titanic as she was taking on water complaining:

I'd call that gloating!
:happy-very:

As to NPR, I'll be the first as I've said to turn off the public spicot but in defense of NPR's delivery in it's news method, last Oct. they had a great story on "ALEC" or American Legislative Exchange Council and it's impact on legislative law in the various State houses across the country. Now NPR IMO was dead on with this story and gave it good coverage and yet where was CNN, Fox, MSNBC or even the big 3 networks? Mother Jones was on ALEC all the way back in 2002' yet where's the transparency everyone claims they want in the process?

People want to scream at NPR and Public Broadcasting but there are times they cover a story with some depth and analysis not seen in the other outlets because they are to damn busy being the spawn of Edward Bernays working for the faceless shadows that profit from the ministries of truth. Also another great PBS creation is Frontline who so often do a very good job on subjects the news majors would never dare touch in a million years.
I've never said that NPR should be shut down, just that the government fund should be stopped.
As far as the programming goes, it is a free country and if they are self supporting without tax dollars they can broadcast whatever they please. I understand that not everything the air is bad however the guy in the video is proposing things that should never happen in the US. If the schools can't have religion, that means ANY religion. There is no reason for Muslims to "have a voice" in our education systems.

wkmac

So on the Titanic, just how effective was that "golden parachute". Also, I doubt that there were alot of blue-collar folk on that maiden voyage. Were not talking about the Professor, Mary Anne and the rest on the "Minnow" here.

And we're not in a joking around mood are we?

As to "not a lot of blue collar folk on the maiden voyage" I'm not so sure I'd subscribe to that stance as empirical.

demographics of Titanic passenger list
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/titanic.html#pass

wkmac

I've never said that NPR should be shut down, just that the government fund should be stopped.
As far as the programming goes, it is a free country and if they are self supporting without tax dollars they can broadcast whatever they please. I understand that not everything the air is bad however the guy in the video is proposing things that should never happen in the US. If the schools can't have religion, that means ANY religion. There is no reason for Muslims to "have a voice" in our education systems.

Did I miss something? Did I misspeak and not realize it? Where did I accuse you of saying NPR should be shutdown? To my knowledge, you've never said such and I concur that you have not. As to funding I also concur with your point as also to what they have on as programming.

The best way to insure that any religion doesn't use public schools is to have no schools at all. I agree with the 1970's position of Ivan Illich in Deschooling Society!

Now that should have some of you screaming but then again that's my whole purpose here is it not!
:winks:

Did I miss something? Did I misspeak and not realize it? Where did I accuse you of saying NPR should be shutdown? To my knowledge, you've never said such and I concur that you have not. As to funding I also concur with your point as also to what they have on as programming.

The best way to insure that any religion doesn't use public schools is to have no schools at all. I agree with the 1970's position of Ivan Illich in Deschooling Society!

Now that should have some of you screaming but then again that's my whole purpose here is it not!
:winks:
Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of saying that, my statement was kind of a disclaimer that I don't ask for shutting NPR down. Seems every time I mention defunding them, someone does accuse me of advocating their shut down because of liberal bias.
I was quoting you on the latter part or your post
(People want to scream at NPR and Public Broadcasting but there are times they cover a story with some depth and analysis not seen in the other outlets because they are to damn busy being the spawn of Edward Bernays working for the faceless shadows that profit from the ministries of truth. Also another great PBS creation is Frontline who so often do a very good job on subjects the news majors would never dare touch in a million years.
so hopefully my statements about programing would make more sense. I should have been clearer in my intentions.
I'm not familiar with Ivan Illich, by deschooling society, does that mean to make all schools private?

bbsam

Staff member
Maybe Maria have to start walkin' the street to make rent! Sesame Street grows up and goes to the school of hard knocks. Ernie and Boehner compare tans! Bert mistakes Boehner for Ernie and muppet rapes him! (Is that even possible?) Oh the imagination is endless!

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Oh no, I wasn't accusing you of saying that, my statement was kind of a disclaimer that I don't ask for shutting NPR down. Seems every time I mention defunding them, someone does accuse me of advocating their shut down because of liberal bias.
I was quoting you on the latter part or your post so hopefully my statements about programing would make more sense. I should have been clearer in my intentions.
I'm not familiar with Ivan Illich, by deschooling society, does that mean to make all schools private?
I read Ivan Ilych in college (Oh joy!), but I have no idea what Mac is talking about.

bbsam

Staff member
So Mr. O'Keefe III was not being all together honest with his "citizen journalists". Weak editting, or just a deceptive smear campaign by a sorry excuse for a hack activist?

island1fox

Do not cut funding for NPR
Do not cut funding for PBS
Do not cut Funding for the Performing Arts
Do not cut funding for the Nevada Cowboy Festival
Do not cut any part of Medicare
Do not cut any funding for Schools
Do not cut any funding for heating oil
Do not cut any funding for food stamps
Do not cut any funding for Fannie and Freddie
Do not make any adjustments on Social Security.
Do not cut Corporate tax--that would create jobs here in America

Drastically cut Defense spending !!!!!
When the Chicoms are parachuting into Beverly Hills maybe --and I only say maybe the Politicians will wake up !!!:sick:

Can anyone add to the do not cut list ??

P.S. Tax the rich more -what a joke. If the U.S. government took 100% of what EVERYONE earned this year ---They still would not cover the debt.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
do not stop the border jumpers
do not stop their free medical services
do not stop the anchor baby claims
do not stop the endless parties at the White House
do not stop michelle o's useless and expensive trips
do not cut the first lady's (26) staff. { even though offically she has no real duties }

wkmac

RealClearPolitics has video from a Rules Committee hearing this week on the bill to de-fund public broadcasting. Rep. Jim McGovern, D-Mass., proposed an amendment to "de-fund" FOX News as well, by depriving it of government advertising:
"Over the past several years, it has become clear that the Fox News channel is wildly biased. They continue to employ a talk show host who called President Obama a racist. They continue to employ several prospective Republican Presidential candidates as “analysts,” giving them hours and hours of free air time. And their parent company has donated millions to GOP-linked groups.

My amendment would prohibit federal funds – taxpayer dollars – from being used for advertising on the partisan, political platform of Fox News."

Chairman David Dreier, R-Calif., took issue with McGovern for comparing the public broadcast subsidy with advertising, in which the government pays for airtime, but I don't think that's the best response. House Republicans should look to end all television and radio advertising by federal government.
When there is a legitimate issue for the public's attention, the news media publicizes it. When there's an emergency, we have the emergency broadcast system. But advertising, that's just a waste of money -- welfare for Madison Avenue:

And another good read is an opin at Taki's Magazine

Evidence is mounting that Rupert Murdoch’s British media empire conspired illegally with private investigators to tap telephones and hack into computers. A recent murder trial disclosed that Murdoch’s editors paid $150,000 a year to private investigator Jonathan Rees, previously convicted of planting false evidence to frame an innocent woman.
It may be mere coincidence that the British government recently decided to approve Murdoch’s expansion of his media ownership. Many contend that Murdoch’s increase from a 39% to 100% share in Britain’s largest satellite television provider, BSkyB, does not matter. They are mostly members of the Conservative Party, who won Murdoch’s support in last year’s general election. Opponents tend to come from the Labour Party, which Murdoch backed in their victorious election campaigns of 1997, 2001, and 2005 before dropping them in 2010. Sour grapes?
Should any company control as much of the British media as Murdoch’s News Corporation does? And is News Corporation worthy of the national trust to provide so large a share of its information and cultural output?
Murdoch The Media Monopolist

With all the focus to defund PBS/NPR, could we also be losing sight of not only other forms of bias for ulterior motives in the general media but also of persons who want to dominate it for not always the right reasons either? If Murdoch, a foreigner, were say Chinese, Japanese, maybe Latin American or god forbid of Arabic descent, would there be any outcry of concern over his purchasing such large amounts not only of American media but media in the Anglo American sphere? Because he's Australian and Caucasian, no one seems of much concern that so much media space is being controlled by one man regardless of his politics. Even the man with the best politics is easily tempted when it comes to having more and more power. Does Lord Acton come to mind?

Those founding fathers who thought that a Free Press was so important as to place it in the First Amendment, I wonder what they would have to say if they saw our world of the Press today and it's consolidation of ownership? And yes, all are state controlled no less than what King George did. I'd bet instead of being championing of the Murdochs of the world, they'd be champions of Wikileaks and the so-called "muck racker" websites on the net!

Defunding gov't in general is a good idea but at the same time I have to wonder if the current PBS/NPR soap opera is nothing more than a snipe hunt fed to a gullible public in the first place.

island1fox

I happen to agree with the stance of no federal Tax money (our money) to be spent on advertising.
For the Dems to pick on Fox is truly rediculous. What would the same Democrat say about MSNBC ??? Of course he would only see bias one way .
We unfortunately do not have "media watchdogs" looking out for our best interests,
Either side you are on --weigh out very carefully what you are getting from any media source.