Depressurizing the present/future ISP role...responses please

dvalleyjim

Using a private vehicle for commercial purposes likely leaves it without insurance. Letting your drivers deliver vehicles when you should know about insurance likely would leave you with liability. That may be why fedex hasn't allowed vehicles but if you had that vehicle listed on your commercial policy, fedex should allow it.

Commercial insurance for a personal vehicle is costly. I remember that my 'supplemental' was covered only while on duty but I needed my own policy when using it off-duty Years ago when I delivered pizza in my own car, Pizza Hut covered the car while I was on duty. There are probably thousands of people using personal vehicles to deliver newspapers, as I did too. None of the newspapers required any proof of anything but regular insurance, but I am sure they would face some liability if someone caused a major loss while delivering papers. They may have had insurance, and not told anyone so drivers would file any claims under their own insurance.

Your personal vehicle is not covered by insurance. No accident, work accident, or package. If something happened X would say you were unauthorized and try to make your defense your problem.

STFXG

Your personal vehicle is not covered by insurance. No accident, work accident, or package. If something happened X would say you were unauthorized and try to make your defense your problem.
Sure it is. If you write up a rental agreement.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Sure it is. If you write up a rental agreement.
Personal auto insurance coverage will cover only incidental business use. You would be hanging your ass out to dry if you were to have a claim, because your insurer would refuse responsibility. Bankruptcy would be a very real possibility.

bbsam

Staff member
Personal auto insurance coverage will cover only incidental business use. You would be hanging your ass out to dry if you were to have a claim, because your insurer would refuse responsibility. Bankruptcy would be a very real possibility.
With a rental agreement, the trucking insurance covers it if there is an insured vehicle that is being replaced.

dmac1

But you can't even add your personal vehicle to your business policy without notifying fedex.

Decision a real independent business could make may take weeks of approval processing by fedex. You can't hire and train an inexperienced driver, or buy a vehicle you may think is more profitable for you, or carry packages for other customers going to the exact same destination in the same vehicle as your fedex packages. Any of those could mean the difference between profit and loss, especially in more rural areas.

bbsam

Staff member
But you can't even add your personal vehicle to your business policy without notifying fedex.

Decision a real independent business could make may take weeks of approval processing by fedex. You can't hire and train an inexperienced driver, or buy a vehicle you may think is more profitable for you, or carry packages for other customers going to the exact same destination in the same vehicle as your fedex packages. Any of those could mean the difference between profit and loss, especially in more rural areas.
You can with a rental agreement. Guys have been doing it for years.

It will be fine

I hire and train inexperienced drivers all the time.

STFXG

I added a personal vehicle to my business policy without notifying Fedex. What’re you talking about? Just can’t add it to addendums for use without approval.
Also, if it’s on your business insurance you can’t rent it to yourself. Have to have a personal policy and then rent it to the business. Then it’s covered.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Personal auto insurance coverage will cover only incidental business use. You would be hanging your ass out to dry if you were to have a claim, because your insurer would refuse responsibility.

Assuming that they are told the vehicle was being used for business.

dvalleyjim

Ok, good luck if something happens. Your personal vehicle is not a FedEx approved delivery vehicle. God forbid if someone gets killed.

dmac1

I added a personal vehicle to my business policy without notifying Fedex. Just can’t add it to addendums for use without approval.

It's the requirement by fedex of approval that is the issue. You can't make decisions on a daily basis for immediate implementation. And you can't hire an inexperienced driver and put him out on the street the same day. You ignored my point that all your important decisions require prior approval AND consent.

bacha29

Had a claim lately? Insurers no longer assume anything before they accept responsibility. Guess they're fighting fraud by stalling and/or refusing to settle claims.
A few years ago in my state. There was this guy who had this barely legal piece of junk van that he used to haul Amish on private vehicle insurance. One evening he blew out one of his rotten tires , jumped the medial and hit a semi head on. He killed 3 Amish but he was lucky, he got himself killed. After paying off the families an big pile of cash State Farm issued a public warning that if they caught somebody doing this they would cancel the policy and prosecute . Same if they filed a claim while doing this.
The real question is, if economic conditions resulting from contracting for X are so bad that you have to use your own car to haul boxes that alone should tell you that you're going below the Mendoza Line and need to find a buyer.

Classaction

Fedex ran a pilot program last peak with personal vehicle delivery drivers. I believe it wasn’t used much but there were positive results. I don’t think the revenue is there to make it worthwhile for a driver in their own car though.

As for a strike, it would be hilarious. The entire network would be overloaded with failures everywhere. It would be peak in July with no expectation of staying caught up. The contract sets a limit of stops, it’s not the contractor’s problem if there are more than that in their area.
The pilot program for personal vehicles during peak was a failure according to management. Fred had a huge problem with the branding issue. Don't look for it soon or ever.