Designated Responder Questions

Jfountain

So, I'm interested in potentially becoming a designated responder. What are the pros and cons? Are there any requirements? How do you go about becoming one?

So, I'm interested in potentially becoming a designated responder. What are the pros and cons? Are there any requirements? How do you go about becoming one?
Depending on the size of your building and how many other responders there are it can turn into almost a FT job at PT wages. Double shifting and working Holidays plus all the added training if you want the hours. Really hard to quit when you get burned out.

Jfountain

Depending on the size of your building and how many other responders there are it can turn into almost a FT job at PT wages. Double shifting and working Holidays plus all the added training if you want the hours. Really hard to quit when you get burned out.
Holidays? I didn't think any parts of our hub operated on holidays? Without work there wouldn't be any leakers... please do clue me in if I'm wrong.

Holidays? I didn't think any parts of our hub operated on holidays? Without work there wouldn't be any leakers... please do clue me in if I'm wrong.
Had to have a responder present on New Years Eve which was an Air only day. Also Christmas Eve and the Friday after Thanksgiving. One of the last to leave most nights. If you want lots of hours it is a good deal. The down side is getting out of the job.

just chillin'

Rest in peace wooba
hope you like breathing raw diesel fumes and speedy dry. pretty much once a week some idiot driver forgets to cap his fuel tank and leaves a river of fuel behind him as he parks. took the responder about 4 hours of sweeping and shoveling to clean up the one tonight

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

In my local you have to do the job for 6 months, then you can give notice of resignation in writing. I was told you had to give six weeks notice of resignation of the responder position, but that must be a past practices issue, because I couldn't find that requirement in the contract.

But, yes, management will lie and tell you that you can't quit until they train a replacement.

Elmo.goes.to.prom

In my local you have to do the job for 6 months, then you can give notice of resignation in writing. I was told you had to give six weeks notice of resignation of the responder position, but that must be a past practices issue, because I couldn't find that requirement in the contract.

But, yes, management will lie and tell you that you can't quit until they train a replacement.

Our local. After 12 months you can write a letter stating you are resigning as a responder but you must find a replacement.
No one ever wants the job but it is no big deal since we don't utilize our responders.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Our local. After 12 months you can write a letter stating you are resigning as a responder but you must find a replacement.
No one ever wants the job but it is no big deal since we don't utilize our responders.

Why would it be your responsibility to find a replacement? That sounds like management work to me.