determing seniority?

ok, hi everyone....i have a quick question, how do you determine seniority?...i know its 30 working days from the date of hire, but how exactly is that calculated?

brownrodster

each day you work add 1. When your count equals thirty you've reached 30 working days.

When you reach 30 days there's no confetti or baloons. Just a regular day like any other.

each day you work add 1. When your count equals thirty you've reached 30 working days.

When you reach 30 days there's no confetti or baloons. Just a regular day like any other.

lmao...yeah i wasn't expecting balloons or anything...just asking for my seniority purposes so i can tell my union steward...we were trying to figure the count and my sup was trying to tell us a different number other than what we thought it should be...thanks :happy2:

evilleace

Yup just thirty working days. Also you have to have clocked in and worked if you call in that day doesn't count neither do vacation days.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
NO the first day you exactly work.
way back when these rules started ups didn't have "training " days, basically it was on-the-job hell.

gandydancer

National Master, Article 3, Section 1(a) "... All present employees who are not members of the Local Union and all employees who are hired hereafter, shall become and remain members in good standing of the Local Union as a condition of employment on and after the thirty-first (31st) day following the beginning of their employment... An employee who has failed to acquire, or thereafter maintain, membership in the Union, as herein provided, shall be terminated seventy-two (72) hours after the Employer has received written notice from an authorized representative of the Local Union, certifying that membership has
been, and is continuing to be offered to such employees on the same basis as all other members, and further that the employee has had notice and opportunity to make all dues or initiation fee payments..."

Looks like calendar days to me, and if you are paid for training that looks like employment to me. Maybe the contract has changed since I was rehired in '89. Making book in a classification is not calendar, however, I'm pretty sure. And, as I said above, 90 days to your first wage increase, 1 year to get benefits.

gandydancer

thanks all who replied, but I guess it really doesn't matter seeing as how I will never reach any seniority at UPS....lol

Actually, you will. Eventually. Talked to my steward about this and he says it's 30 days working, no matter how long it takes. So if they worked you one day a month it would take 2.5 years... but eventually you'd make seniority.

Actually, you will. Eventually. Talked to my steward about this and he says it's 30 days working, no matter how long it takes. So if they worked you one day a month it would take 2.5 years... but eventually you'd make seniority.

:dissapointed: The bad thing about it is I honestly believe at this center it might take me that long to get seniority...

gandydancer

He's the same one who insists top driver rate is 22.62, so be wary.

22.62 is NM contract "top rate" for Air driver or 22.3 inside, plus you can get general wage increases (.35 so far), plus .35 night shift differential in NorCal, which totals $23.32, which is what I make. Package car driver rate is not set in the NM, but, in my area, in article 21 of the supplement (at $28.70). If that's not right, let me know. There are things I insist on, and there are things I'm merely trying to figure out, and I'm generally pretty clear in what I say about which is which, and why.

And in this case preload_lady said she's only getting one day's work a month, and I did a straight-line projection of what that would mean. Apparently losing some of my dimmer co-workers.

Last edited: