DHL Misdelivery

Channahon

Body Parts Meant For Lab Mistakenly Sent To Home

(AP) CASCADE TOWNSHIP, Mich. Two packages containing human body parts -- including a liver and part of a head -- meant for a medical research lab instead were delivered to a home.

The body parts, sent from China, were mistakenly dropped off Thursday at Franck and Ludivine Larmande's home by a DHL express driver who believed the bubble-wrapped items were pieces to a table.

"My husband started to unwrap one and said, 'This is strange, it looks like a liver,"' Ludivine Larmande said. "He started the second one, but stopped as soon as we saw the ear.

"Something wasn't right. It was scary, and I'm glad I didn't open them."

The couple called Kent County sheriff's deputies, who determined the preserved body parts were for medical research, Lt. Roger Parent said.

Authorities believe 28 more bubble-wrapped human organs and body parts could be dispersed across the country, the newspaper said. Two of five packages headed to the northern Michigan lab broke open, scattering their contents.

"There will definitely be a shock to people if they see these things, but there is no hazard to health," Parent said.

DHL is investigating whether it should have shipped the body parts and how the packages were dispersed, spokesman Robert Mints said.

(© 2007 The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. )

Sammie

I thought DHL, Fedex, UPS, etc. were on the same page as far as being unable to ship body parts or remains. I remember working in one of our call centers where we got the occasional call from people who wanted us to pick up "Dad" and ship him from one location to another. ("Dad" had been cremated...). Can't do that!!!!!!!
Apparently DHL has a bit more leeway...

SmithBarney

Actually UPS ships body parts like these, they are medical research...
not quite the same as shipping a heart for transplant.

Although, I even from time to time see boxes labelled "living human tissue"
also ship human mothers milk..

We don't ship "DAD" cause its value cannot be matched... etc etc

mrbill

we have had a few heads rolling around in package cars:confused:1

they do rabies tests on animals:lol:

true story and you thought it was the help!!!!!!!!!!!:thumbup1:

rushfan

From China? I thought the Chinese were tolerant with people who dissented with the communists. I wonder how that person died.

Channahon

Not clear on this. Were they misdelivered or misaddressed?
Authorities believe 28 more bubble-wrapped human organs and body parts could be dispersed across the country, the newspaper said. Two of five packages headed to the northern Michigan lab broke open, scattering their contents.

Retape package would be my guess. Right address, wrong contents

Channahon

Kind of like the live alligator that was found somewhere on the east coast. Someone actually shipped it, the alligator went to the bathroom.

WET package, Don't touch, leave the area and notify a supervisor.

I bet that put a load in someone's pants. Pictures all over UPS emails whent that happened.

over9five

Staff member
"...but someone should have said "hey boss, check this out"."

Or someone should have given the boss a heads up.