DHL & UPS Deal Changing?

McGee

Saw a note on the door at my local Walgreen's today - effective 10/30/08 DHL shipping will no longer be available. Didn't check out any other Walgreens stores around here, but I'll bet it applies to all of them (Chicago area).

It does apply to all of them... my last day was last Friday (after 12 years) ranging from the ol' airborne days...:surprised:

Tried like mad to get in to UPS but i am pretty sure its too late for this year huh??

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
There is no shame getting in the door at ups as a part-timer. I did and so did roughly 90% of drivers today. No matter what opperation you get in at its a foot in the door. The economy will rebound at some point and with the internet the demand for delivery service in one form or another will as well. So get in, pay your dues and it will be well worth it in the long run. Besides with DHL going under thats more business for UPS to deliver.

McGee

There is no shame getting in the door at ups as a part-timer. I did and so did roughly 90% of drivers today. No matter what opperation you get in at its a foot in the door. The economy will rebound at some point and with the internet the demand for delivery service in one form or another will as well. So get in, pay your dues and it will be well worth it in the long run. Besides with DHL going under thats more business for UPS to deliver.

Oh no, i didn't mean it like that i was just asking if it was too late to possibly get in the door for this year... Hey i did it back at Airborne, and worked my way up and by gosh i can ( WILL ) do it again

Oh no, i didn't mean it like that i was just asking if it was too late to possibly get in the door for this year... Hey i did it back at Airborne, and worked my way up and by gosh i can ( WILL ) do it again
Each location has a lot of variables that mean different results. With that in mind, unless you have job prospects that are pretty solid I would suggest you contact UPS HR in your area to inquire about possible job openings. Even a helper job can be a "foot in the door". As I am sure you are aware, after peek there will be a slow period then the volume will start to build(hopefully). Then you can get back on the band wagon to a more permanent position(again hopefully). Good luck to you.

McGee

Each location has a lot of variables that mean different results. With that in mind, unless you have job prospects that are pretty solid I would suggest you contact UPS HR in your area to inquire about possible job openings. Even a helper job can be a "foot in the door". As I am sure you are aware, after peek there will be a slow period then the volume will start to build(hopefully). Then you can get back on the band wagon to a more permanent position(again hopefully). Good luck to you.

thanks!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
We were told today that DHL ground is moving out of the US completely as of the end of this month and the air would be out as of Feb.1.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
The DHL building near our center has a "for lease" sign on it. I believe they used to have 25-30 trucks and vans at one time. When I passed by after getting off from work saw just one straight truck and 2 vans left. Can't remem ber the last time I saw a DHL truck delivering anything on my route.

CBUK

DHL in the UK has a 25% market share of export compared to UPS on 10%. We are suffering with a poor economy over here and Mgmt are really pushing us drivers to bring in sales leads at the moment.

The problem is we are still being massively undercut by all our competitors on domestic shipping rates. It means people are reluctant to ship anything UPS.

You have to wonder what sort of losses are being made by the likes of DHL and TNT if they can ship so much cheaper than us.

Interesting times ahead. If UPS is feeling the pinch of the recession then things are getting tight.

I heard the other day that we have a program of fuel efficient driver training begining soon to try and save money on diesel costs:anxious:.

barnyard

KTM rider
I still see the DHL guy on my route. Generally at the hospital, one of the optical shops and the post office. Not sure why, but the regular guy is riding shotgun while another guy is driving. They are also both wearing the full DHL costume: jacket, shirt and pants. The regular guy used to wear just the jacket.....

TB

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
CEVA combines the heritage of two great companies, TNT Logistics and EGL Eagle Global Logistics, which merged in August 2007.

CEVA maybe hurting. This is based on my knowledge of several people that departed SCS for CEVA. They are now asking about UPS rehiring policies. They don't have CEVA jobs any longer.

I would guess CEVA is low pricing themselves into Menlo Fowarding land.

Comments based on observation and personal contacts.

I am sure this is how rumors start and that is not my intention.